• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I went to the steel store.....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My big event today was a trip to the metal supply place. I unhooked my M925 from the plasma cutter and took the top off it and drove it accross town.

Part of my trip was on I 10. Had to go get fuel and AZ won't let 3 axle trucks fill up at the normal places. 2200 rpm was about 58mph. My fuel gauge stopped working right after filling. I presume I sank the float.

I just sold a truck, so I was like a heroin addict in a poppy field at the steel place. Five sheets of 3/16" plate, some schedule 40 pipe , 100 feet of 3/16" angle, 1/2" thick diamond plate 28×48 times four, and I just could not resist the 2x6 1/4" wall on the $0.40 remnant rack. And I got some 10" steel discs to make an alternative to the bridge plates...

As always, the truck attracts a lot of attention. One guy says he wants one and got my number... one little girl was taking video with her cellphone.

I drove it back home on surface streets with 40mph speed limits. It's my impression that these things are happiest at about 40mph. The NH250 sure sounds good at that speed.

The 50 degree ambient combined with the heat running wide open was a delicious blend of warm and cool. When running it topless like this I wear safety glasses because I don't want grit in the eyes at an inopportune moment.

It was a very enjoyable trip, and now I've got enough material to keep me busy for a while.

Attachments

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

I have to hit you up one day for some info (if you're up to it). Looking at "possibly" moving to AZ from CA and I may be bringing my 818 along, Maybe.

Going through some life changes here and may need to make a fresh start but want to keep my options open and AZ is one of those options.

Cool ride!

agazza2

This is a great looking truck. Was nice to meet you in person and see the excellent workmanship on the Scorpion plates, BBQs that you are making to sell.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Nice work of the bridge plates, How about an "unofficial" SS unit logo bridge plate?
JC

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Nice work of the bridge plates, How about an "unofficial" SS unit logo bridge plate?
JC
Joe, I'll generally make anything you want for the cost of materials. If you can draw it, I'll attempt to plasma cut it.

that being said, the steel soldiers logo is trademarked. They've been very protective of it in the past. About having it displayed at shows and such. So I don't want to step on any toes. We don't want to use their logo without permission, nor do we want to make a copy close enough to be recognized as a knock off.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll have to get permission from Patracy or Mr Steelsoldiers himself to make some with the Steel Soldiers logo on them.

On a side note, you can't pump fuel for your truck at a regular gas station? Is it a law?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AZ has three types of diesel : offroad, on road for automobiles, and on road for heavy trucks.

Using on road automobile diesel in a 3 axle truck is a $1000 fine. It isn't dyed or anything - they have to see you filling up.

Edit - I have no intention of using the steel soldiers logo without permission.

dmetalmiki

We are following your modifications with great interest. We are puzzled as to why the diesel for trucks is is a mandate when the diesel for cars is exactly the same stuff??

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AZ has three types of diesel : offroad, on road for automobiles, and on road for heavy trucks.
Specifically, 3 different taxed levels - The car diesel has $0.18 of tax, the truck diesel has $0.26 of tax and the off road has no tax. This is just road tax, not sales tax, or school tax, or whateverthehellelse tax.

I've never seen off road diesel cost less than auto diesel - I think it has something to do with volume of sales and supply and demand based competitive pricing.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in KY, off road (ag) diesel is about $ 0.20 cheaper that auto diesel. Delivery charges usually evens it out.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Specifically, 3 different taxed levels - The car diesel has $0.18 of tax, the truck diesel has $0.26 of tax and the off road has no tax. This is just road tax, not sales tax, or school tax, or whateverthehellelse tax.

I've never seen off road diesel cost less than auto diesel - I think it has something to do with volume of sales and supply and demand based competitive pricing.
That's confusing. What is the advantage of even having off road diesel if it is higher priced?

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the American Petroleum Institute Arizona has 27 cents State tax on diesel and 24.4 cents federal tax on diesel for a total of 51.4 cents. This should be reflected in the difference in off road and highway diesel pricing. In Oklahoma there is 14 cents state tax and 24.4 cents federal tax for a total of 38.4 cents. I buy a lot of bulk fuel and my invoices always reflect this difference in off road and highway taxed diesel.

up here it's a lot cheaper. Same exact quality fuel, but with dye added.

Wyoming has $0.01 tax for dyed, and $0.24 hi way non dyed.

Crazy they hey have different pumps for commercial trucks. I will be in az in February.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's confusing. What is the advantage of even having off road diesel if it is higher priced?
It has no road tax, so it has the potential to be cheaper. Perhaps the quantity and locations that I purchased it at were such that it didn't work out that way. I'm not saying that its more expensive as a rule, I'm just saying I have paid more for dyed diesel than non dyed at the regular pump across the street.

According to the American Petroleum Institute Arizona has 27 cents State tax on diesel and 24.4 cents federal tax on diesel for a total of 51.4 cents. This should be reflected in the difference in off road and highway diesel pricing. In Oklahoma there is 14 cents state tax and 24.4 cents federal tax for a total of 38.4 cents. I buy a lot of bulk fuel and my invoices always reflect this difference in off road and highway taxed diesel.
I haven't looked into it too deeply, it just says $0.18/gal for car and $0.26/gal for truck on the pumps themselves. Here's what is listed on the car pumps, I don't have a photo of the truck pumps, though I suspect it says about the opposite.

01.jpg

up here it's a lot cheaper. Same exact quality fuel, but with dye added.

Wyoming has $0.01 tax for dyed, and $0.24 hi way non dyed.

Crazy they hey have different pumps for commercial trucks. I will be in az in February.
I think its just dye added everywhere. Its not so much different pumps as it is just truck stops vs gas stations. Greater than 26000 lbs GVWR or 3 axle trucks must get fuel at a truck stop, basically. I think you take your pickup truck to the truck pumps at the truck stop, you can have them ring it up with the lower tax, but I haven't ever done it. I remember finding something about how certain trucks (like a deuce) would be indeed exempt from the higher tax, but you still had to pay the higher tax from a truck pump and then get a refund.

-----

I didn't mean for this to turn into a fuel tax discussion :shrugs:

NovacaineFix

Are you sure that some of our crazy California laws aren't rubbing off into Arizona? We are next door neighbors, but that's even crazier than here in CA.

Edit: I completely understand the differences between on road and off-road, that makes at least some sense.aua:recovry4x4:

BnaditCorps

Are you sure that some of our crazy California laws aren't rubbing off into Arizona? We are next door neighbors, but that's even crazier than here in CA.

Edit: I completely understand the differences between on road and off-road, that makes at least some sense.aua:recovry4x4:
My friend had like 100 gallons of off-road diesel at his place and then some methheads stole it. The funny part though is that it had over 25% water content, long story short the tank was a little leaky.

NovacaineFix

My friend had like 100 gallons of off-road diesel at his place and then some methheads stole it. The funny part though is that it had over 25% water content, long story short the tank was a little leaky.
I always enjoy the story of the man who siphoned the wrong tank, whether it's true or not. When you said meth heads stole it, It immediately made me think of this.

Story, or legend is, that a man who was stealing gasoline tried to steal gasoline from a RV but siphoned the wrong tank. What he thought was the gas tank, was actually the sewage tank or black water tank. Maybe an easy mistake in the middle of the night, but one that one doing this will never forget.

Here is a link to the story/legend:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/siphon.asp

wilkusmcrecon

Alaska, we don't have that problem yet. Diesel is diesel we pay the same. Now Dot regulations are different for commercial trucks but I know a few that use heating fuel from their home tanks and no ones cares.

Jericho

Alaska is different because no Federal High Way funds are taken by Alaska ( Alaska has no interstates) And none off the "You will comply or get no funds " rhetoric. and no "federal highway" based taxes are paid . And I prefer Alaska's roads over the roads in NH ! kept
in much better shape and no SALT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks