• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

iBis Tek incandescent light bar kit for Humvee?

signsup

Have an opportunity to pick up a kit with at least two remote spots and several UV lights on several bars. NOS originally for the MRAP but was told will fit Humvee. All excited and then someone told me that these were surplused because they were pulled off all the MRAPs due to power issues and destroying the electrical system. Since the MRAP has a more powerful electrical system than the Humvee, I was warned to run, not walk away from this kit.
Other than just for looks, has anyone dealt with this kit on a Humvee?
I'll hang up and listen.

signsup

It is my understanding that MRAPs were equipted with these light bars and the power drain was causing issues, so they were pulled from them and replaced with the LED versions which are still in use. I do not think the Humvees were ever provided the Ibis Tek halogen lights due to this power issue and the after market is flooded with these kits.
So, the question is does anyone have any first hand experience with the ibis tek halogen light kits on a Humvee? Ways around the power issue, if any?
If I like the look, presume I can wire directly to batteries and limit number of lights in use at any one time to limit power drain, but I'm no electrician. Just don't want to mess up vehicle electrical system or Smart Start box for a few trinkets.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the EYECON light kit on my 5 ton, and the only power issue I ran into was running them when I wasn't running the truck and drained my batteries. (In defense of the lights, I was only running with 2 instead of 4 batteries). As far as damaging my electrical system, 2 years later and no issues, and I'm running all of the lights.

IMG_20231021_201859.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see allot of IR/HID bars on the auctions sites.
Do these have the drivers needed inside the bars, to say some homebrew solution can be used to switch them on and off?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ibis Tek IR/halogen light bars were installed in some MP trucks on the front windshield that also had flashing blues. Some slant backs also had a rear facing 24 inch light bar in the back. I have also seen some gun trucks with light bars on the turrets probably field mods. These were probably the early models with 60amp stock alternators or the 1st 100 amp niehofs with no ac. You could always hook up a meter and see what they draw?

Ibis tek has double stack cubes, light bars, motorized type go lights, IR dots etc and also some late models went to LED. I think the reason they are plentiful out in surplus is that the company went out of business due to fraud and no channel for support or parts, cables, etc

Last edited:

tgejesse

I have the full kit brackets and all... just waiting for me to get the rest of my truck in order before putting it together!

signsup

Here is the email I received from a Humvee vendor who's opinion I have no reason to doubt or believe he has any hidden agenda. That's why I'm coming here to seek "real world" experiences.

Sorry hit the Send button by accident. The reason so man new kits were surpluses is they were designed for the RG31 mraps. Even with the four 6t series batteries and a 400 amp generator they were drawing to much power and damaging the electrical system. There is a memo that went out to remove or disable all of them to prevent further damage to the rg31 electrical system. The RG31 has essentially double the power of a humvee which makes this even more damaging to a humvee. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new on this but would feel bad if I did not tell you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks