• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ibis Tek tow bar hook up

vitamink

Anyone know the best way to hook up an Ibis Tek medium tow bar to a hmmwv? I apparently picked up the wrong size Ibis Tek feet as the pin on the feet is huge and won't go through the hole on that the shackle mounts to on the hmmwv bumper.

amgeneral72

Im using the steel feet from the steel collapsible tow bar with mine. The pin size is different on the foot to bar hookup but if you take a 3/4 copper pipe coupling it fits perfect in the foot and the pin fits perfect in the coupling. Basically I made a bushing out of a 3/4 copper coupling. Now you will have to cut the coupling down like a 1/4 inch or so because it is to long but it works awesome, and it can be easily replaced if it were to wear out. The only other thing is I had to take my grinder and grind down the flat part of the foot to fit in the tow bar. Not much , almost just took the paint off and it slid right in place. Its an easy mod and I have used it many times with no problems.

SLOrazorsedge

I have a pair of "bisquits" that i have in my storage container. I should be getting out to it this week and will get some photos of them. I lucked out on an e...y auction last year and scored them. amgeneral172 has done a nice job of fabricating an alternative to the OEM bisquit though!

SLOrazorsedge

Yup, that would be a "bisquit", very rare and its what you need to hook up an Ibis Tek towbar as intended to the front shackles. Thanks Dave, saved me from rolling out to my container and moving 2K pounds of stuff :0)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something that is important to note is that the biscuit is not all you need, you'd still need the MTVR towbar 3/4" foot, which is fairly "rare" also.

The way amgeneral72 modified his 3/4" feet is what I'd do, I think.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of biscuits, pins to go between the biscuits and feet, correct feet, & 3/4" pins to connect feet to shackles. Pm me if you want to go that route. As CB says 3/4 hunter feet will do as well.

bricksrkids

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a picture, but what you have there will work with a HMMWV.

The black towbar feet are the MRAP/MATV feet.

The green 1.5"x3/4" feet are what hooks into the HMMWV. These are the same feet that come with the MTVR towbar and a 1" version exists as well. (2-1/2 ton, 5 ton, etc)

The tan adapters are the "biscuits" and hook into the towbar just like the black feet do, with the more rounded/triangular side towards the towbar. The HMMWV feet then pin into those to allow use with a HMMWV. (Or any other 3/4" pin vehicle, probably) The 1.5" pin with the bar on it connects the biscuits to the HMMWV towbar feet.

I've found that the MRAP/MATV 1.5" pins are too big for the other 1.5" pin trucks. I'm not sure what the adapter collar for the MRAP/MATV foot is for, but it made the pin size quite a bit larger.

Your kit seems to have a pair of MTVR 1.5" pins also, I'm not sure why. I don't know why there are so many different roughly 1.5" pins that don't seem to work with each other.

Too many acronyms!

Here are some pictures of the MTVR towbar - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92261-MTVR-Towbar

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks