• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ibis Tek tow bar hook up

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry you are right Gimp it has been CAC'D , no longer for the general public
[h=3][/h]

vitamink

Does anyone have a picture of the front of a hmmwv with an Ibis Tek bar hooked up? The closest i've seen was a different IT bar connected to the shackles. If i can do the same, i'll just say "screw it" and move on.

IMGP7712.jpg I apparently purchased the wrong feet so if anyone needs some ibis tek larger than hmmwv feet, let me know.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a picture of the front of a hmmwv with an Ibis Tek bar hooked up? The closest i've seen was a different IT bar connected to the shackles. If i can do the same, i'll just say "screw it" and move on.

View attachment 515565 I apparently purchased the wrong feet so if anyone needs some ibis tek larger than hmmwv feet, let me know.
What you have pictured is the early HMMWV Ibis Tek towbar. (The "bad" one) Both it and the later black HMMWV one do not use towbar feet and simply attach directly to the HMMWV lifting shackles. This is not the case with the Ibis Tek medium towbar, it uses towbar feet to connect to vehicles. In the case of a HMMWV, it needs the biscuit adapters and the HMMWV 3/4" pin feet.

Important to note that both of the current generation of Ibis Tek towbars (The HMMWV and the "Medium/MRAP/MATV") are black.

Part of what makes all this confusing is the different generations of towbars and that many of them have the same name. Furthermore, nearly all of the military towbars are officially called "medium" in one way or another.

-----

I'm not 100% on this, but I've always suspected that what made the early tan Ibis Tek HMMWV towbar "bad" is that it was being commonly used beyond its capability. Perhaps for a non-uparmored HMMWV, it may be just fine. I have not looked into this. Only the government would get rid of things that failed when they were used improperly...

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newer black one has a totally different latching part for the section that you pull out.
I had some small towbar feet machined down to fit the Hmmwv towbar.

vitamink

That sounds like what i need to do then. Someone needs to do this and market them… oh and while i'm here…86, got any feet to sell? I buy everything else from you lol.

ClarkeF

Here is my Ibis Tek Medium bar hooked to my HMMWV with the HMMWV foot adapter which have been modified to work with this bar. The thickness of the adapter needed to be trimmed a few hundreds and a spacer machined to sit inside the hole to fit the smaller pins.

Attachments

amgeneral72

All I used was a disc grinder and a 3/4 copper pipe coupling cut down from the home depot. I haven't had replaced the copper bushing yet. Took less then an hour. Easy mod.

KansasBobcat

Just a heads up: There are some tow bar feet being advertised on -bay as HMMWV tow bar feet with no part numbers but pretty good pictures. I ordered a pair. They were for MRAPs. Returned them no problem and got refund. I sent the seller a copy of the Ibes Tek instructions which showed both MRAP and HMMWV tow bar feet with part numbers. When there is a data plate on parts a picture would be helpful.

jpcj-7

Maybe I'm over looking something, but why couldn't the medium (44k) towbar be hooked directly to the lift shackles also??

What you have pictured is the early HMMWV Ibis Tek towbar. (The "bad" one) Both it and the later black HMMWV one do not use towbar feet and simply attach directly to the HMMWV lifting shackles. This is not the case with the Ibis Tek medium towbar, it uses towbar feet to connect to vehicles. In the case of a HMMWV, it needs the biscuit adapters and the HMMWV 3/4" pin feet.

Important to note that both of the current generation of Ibis Tek towbars (The HMMWV and the "Medium/MRAP/MATV") are black.

Part of what makes all this confusing is the different generations of towbars and that many of them have the same name. Furthermore, nearly all of the military towbars are officially called "medium" in one way or another.

-----

I'm not 100% on this, but I've always suspected that what made the early tan Ibis Tek HMMWV towbar "bad" is that it was being commonly used beyond its capability. Perhaps for a non-uparmored HMMWV, it may be just fine. I have not looked into this. Only the government would get rid of things that failed when they were used improperly...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm over looking something, but why couldn't the medium (44k) towbar be hooked directly to the lift shackles also??
I don't think its designed to work that way, and I would think there would be considerable slop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks