• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID Mack engined M 54

andyindy

Does the Mack engined M54's use the same right fender mounted air cleaner as the multi's? Any way to id one from pics? I know they use a overdrive tranny and from data plates,but no pics . Thanks for any help. Indy..............

vtdeucedriver

They indeed are the same. I had thought I was on to one difference that could be noted from pics but our "MACK EXPERT and HOARDER" clued me in on that its not always the case. The only sure fire way to tell is a engine pic and there you can see the difference.

Cue AM GENERAL

MotorTMan

Yes, indeed they are the same, except for one variation. The Mack intake pipe is different than a multifuel under the hood. On the outside, the way you can tell is this...A multifuel elbow from the air cleaner to the hood is one piece with an integral bracket affixed to the hinged hood side door. A Mack on the other hand has a rubber hose that connects the elbow to the side of the hinged hood door on the outside. I have no pics to show this, but side by side its clearly evident. I have both multi and Mack powered 5 tons to justify this claim. Also, as a mech/driver in the USMC in the eighties, that is how we could tell what they were from the outside when looking for trucks. Sure, as with any military vehicle, maybe there is some jerryrigged variation of it. But of all the 5 tons Ive ever been in contact with in the last 25 years, this was a 100pct determining factor. I would go by it.

MotorTMan

One note to add...looking at the above photo, its extremely hard to tell by the angle of the photo of what Im talking about. The hose of discussion is connected right at the hood door. The multi and Macks both have the hose connecting the can to the elbow clearly seen in the photo.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One note to add...looking at the above photo, its extremely hard to tell by the angle of the photo of what Im talking about. The hose of discussion is connected right at the hood door. The multi and Macks both have the hose connecting the can to the elbow clearly seen in the photo.

[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks