• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID request for broken component

Hello All - I've found my way into a m35a2 recently. I've got what looks to be a part broken off my transfer case. After looking through the pertinent TMs the last few days, I'm not able to come up with a clear picture of what I'm looking at. Id like to see if anyone knows what I've got on my hands here...It looks like something that is supposed to be threaded into the transfer case is no longer there, and it looks like a steel cable (that I believe leads to the cab) has been broken. I don't know if the two items are related or not. TIA everyone. Deuce Transfer Case.jpg

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Very cool - thanks NY Tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool - thanks NY Tom
Careful what you buy: besides replacing the cable, what you also need is a new "speedometer drive adapter" for the TC. (TM9-2320-361-34P, Fig. 326)

What Eastern is showing in the pictures is actually the tachometer drive, which mounts on the front of the engine. Two different things....
Even so, their part number 7061216 (NSN 3010-00-562-0421) is correct for the (0.187:1) TC-adapter, provided you still have the stock 9.00-20 tires.
Now, for the bigger 11.00-20 tires you need the other one #7065893, which has a 2.00:1 ratio.

Related to the various adapter options (for different ratios), here is good post to read...

Careful what you buy: besides replacing the cable, what you also need is a new "speedometer drive adapter" for the TC. (TM9-2320-361-34P, Fig. 326)

What Eastern is showing in the pictures is actually the tachometer drive, which mounts on the front of the engine. Two different things....
Even so, their part number 7061216 (NSN 3010-00-562-0421) is correct for the (0.187:1) TC-adapter, provided you still have the stock 9.00-20 tires.
Now, for the bigger 11.00-20 tires you need the other one #7065893, which has a 2.00:1 ratio.

Related to the various adapter options (for different ratios), here is good post to read...
Excellent! Thank you Gringel. I’ll dive into that thread today and get my parts list put together. This truck came from a good buddy who passed, so I’d like to get all the loose ends tied up, as kind of an homage to him. He was a particular guy who would have liked to see everything still squared away on his truck. Thanks again for the replies.

ToddJK

Since the parts has been narrowed down, when it comes to installation of that part and other various things on the deuce, I highly recommend to go on YouTube and find the channel "Tactical Repair." He has tons of videos including one about the speedo on the T-case. Very helpful information and excellent tips.

Since the parts has been narrowed down, when it comes to installation of that part and other various things on the deuce, I highly recommend to go on YouTube and find the channel "Tactical Repair." He has tons of videos including one about the speedo on the T-case. Very helpful information and excellent tips.
Thanks Todd - after we got the parts narrowed down I jumped onto Tactical Repair’s channel and he had a nice video demonstrating part of the process. He’s been helpful to watch. I’m always impressed by the wealth of knowledge at our fingertips on places like YouTube and SS. Thanks for your reply.

Welp, I’ve sourced the parts thanks to you guys. I’ve got them in the budget for October 1st, and will update with pictures when I make the repair…not so much for you guys, but maybe for the next guy with the broken Spedo cable. While I have your attention, what is everyone’s opinions on there being an open hole where the speedometer angle drive unit used to be? Shouldn’t there be gear oil up to that threaded fitting? Worth getting repaired before I fire it back up? Would hate to beat up my transfer case unnecessarily. Don’t know how long it’s been broken off for, so maybe it’s just fine and I’m being a nervous new deuce owner ! Thanks everyone.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I have your attention, what is everyone’s opinions on there being an open hole where the speedometer angle drive unit used to be? Shouldn’t there be gear oil up to that threaded fitting?
No worries....
1) The T-case's (static) oil level is way below that point.
2) Everything that keeps the oil inside the TC (while in motion), is still there.

Take a look at this diagram:
Fig. 326. Speedometer and related parts.jpg

Parts 7 & 8, as well as most of the adapter itself are still in place.

There is a small oil seal fitted to the end of the sleeve #7, and riding on shaft #8. That seal seems to be intact, otherwise you would see oil leaking out of that "hole", after every ride.

Sleeve, shaft & oil seal.jpg

No worries....
1) The T-case's (static) oil level is way below that point.
2) Everything that keeps the oil inside the TC (while in motion), is still there.

Take a look at this diagram:
View attachment 906400

Parts 7 & 8, as well as most of the adapter itself are still in place.

There is a small oil seal fitted to the end of the sleeve #7, and riding on shaft #8. That seal seems to be intact, otherwise you would see oil leaking out of that "hole", after every ride.

View attachment 906401
Excellent news. Thank you for the reply!

Well gents, the parts have been ordered and are on their way. I grabbed an angle drive adapter, and new speedo cable, amongst other things. FWIW, Bill over at Eastern Surplus was extremely busy “putting out fires” so I was happy to give my $100+ to Memphis. I’m a piss in the ocean with my small order but I was thankful for Terry at Memphis helping me out with the parts. Pictures when they’re in, hopefully next week sometime.
Alright for my next newbie question: passenger side in front of the door, behind the hood, and next to the exhaust stack…an item with a few bolts running vertically. It looks like it could be snugged up to hold something there. Any bright ideas? My speed read of the operators manual didn’t give me anything. Thanks again guys!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well gents, the parts have been ordered and are on their way. I grabbed an angle drive adapter, and new speedo cable, amongst other things. FWIW, Bill over at Eastern Surplus was extremely busy “putting out fires” so I was happy to give my $100+ to Memphis. I’m a piss in the ocean with my small order but I was thankful for Terry at Memphis helping me out with the parts. Pictures when they’re in, hopefully next week sometime.
Alright for my next newbie question: passenger side in front of the door, behind the hood, and next to the exhaust stack…an item with a few bolts running vertically. It looks like it could be snugged up to hold something there. Any bright ideas? My speed read of the operators manual didn’t give me anything. Thanks again guys!
Any chance you could snap a picture?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks