• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID that trailer

kallisti5

I just got a freebie military trailer this evening for my M1009 CUCV with "just starting to crack" tires.
Haven't had the time to pour over the faded info badges, can anyone identify which model it is roughly?

DXfX_ppUMAAmL9d.jpg:large.jpg

kallisti5

I was thinking M101 something but really don't have the experience in them to just know.
Now, time to find some tires for it :-|

Thanks!

kallisti5

Family discount, father-in-law trying to reduce :)
In pretty good shape besides tires. Wiring needs some minor work + clean-up... and some corner rust-through spots need some attention.

kallisti5

Do 235/85-16 match the sizeable tires on it currently? For their age, they drive *great*. Any recommendations on the split rim? Little nervous about having the window makers on there, but I hate changing from stock.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do 235/85-16 match the sizeable tires on it currently? For their age, they drive *great*. Any recommendations on the split rim? Little nervous about having the window makers on there, but I hate changing from stock.
They are NOT "split rims" or "widow makers". They are wheels with an exterior locking ring, or "lock ring wheels" for short. Exterior lock ring wheels are quite common on trucks and trailers from that era (M37's, M35A2's, M105's, even civilian trucks from that time period too). Tire shops that work on farm or semi-trailer trucks shouldn't have any problem dealing with them. They do need to be respected and installed correctly, but they're worlds safer than the old widow makers that you had to guess were seated properly. I doubt many people have even seen actual "widow makers" these days.

Those wheels do require a tube. So, the only "dilemma" you're faced with is if you want to continue using tubes or buy expensive tubeless wheels.

Some more info here with a Pioneer Tool trailer that I owned that uses the same type of wheels:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Tool-Trailer&p=1861662&viewfull=1#post1861662

In this post (#58) and the one below it (#59), are some 9.00x16 tire options I considered. I ended up buying the Coker 71014 STA Super Lug (slightly used from a SteelSoldiers member). (Note: if you want the trailer to sit shorter, you can obviously opt for different tires, these are just the stock size):

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Tool-Trailer&p=1861041&viewfull=1#post1861041

Here's what the Coker STA Super Lugs look like when mounted on wheels that have been sand blasted and powder coated flat black:

2016-08-07 17.27.35.jpg 2016-08-06 09.26.38.jpg 2016-08-07 17.28.24.jpg IMG_8776.jpg

Last edited: