• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID this thingy... I think it is part of the flame heater

Stagg

I've got an older truck, that has been updated over the years... Currently it is wired up with a (Broken) ether injector. The little sensor snapped off, I guess I should just hot wire it now.

However, I pretty sure it also has a flame heater. It has the little high pressure pump on top of the engine, and lines running to this thing in the pictures.

Is this correct? I'm halfway temped to re-install the flame heater, since the "newer, and Better" system seems to spray in way too much ether... and is broken.

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Flame hearer is CRAP! Good chance it will leak (Most do) and that looks to be a coolant temp sender, but the factory one is only one wire. Maybe the ether injection uses a different one?? If the ether system uses a different sender, that could be the reason its not working as it should.

Stagg

The temp sender I showed is for the ether injector. Even snapped off it still works until it gets hot from sitting on the engine.
I'm just not a fan of the military's choice in ether starters. They seem to over apply the silly stuff.
Its a bummer the flame heaters are junk too.

I guess I'll just keep using a can of ether... or better yet get a block heater.
Thanks guys!

Preacherboy

The part in your second picture is leaking on my truck, right out of the end of it and yes it is dripping right on my turbo. I had to turn around today and drive home.

How would one go about fixing this part?

I read something about replacing an o-ring in another thread (but there was no picture so I have no way of knowing if it is the same part they are talking about).

I've got an older truck, that has been updated over the years... Currently it is wired up with a (Broken) ether injector. The little sensor snapped off, I guess I should just hot wire it now.

However, I pretty sure it also has a flame heater. It has the little high pressure pump on top of the engine, and lines running to this thing in the pictures.

Is this correct? I'm halfway temped to re-install the flame heater, since the "newer, and Better" system seems to spray in way too much ether... and is broken.
My ether start system has worked perfectly, the few times I've needed it. I don't find that it sprays too much ether. I think the system injects the ether as a liquid and with the temperature limit, it is well controlled. I would not trade mine for anything but a total engine preheat system, but those cost money to run.

deathrowdave

Flame heater leaks can be stopped y replacing the nozzle with a new one for Memphis Equipment Company . The new one is a different design no orings to leak . Money will spent to replace it will have no leaks and be safe and sound !!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have an idea for a heating system to get away from the flame heater or ether systems. My Dodge is a direct inject engine like the multi-fuel. I'm willing to bet I could source a grid heater that would bolt onto the manifold. The real work would be in making a intake horn to line back up with the turbo outlet. I might be able to cheat though, I think the turbo compressor housing could be re-indexed. That'd allow for using a different silicone boot to connect it back up.

I don't have any problem with cold starts where I live. But would there be any interest in a total electric starting heater system?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part in your second picture is leaking on my truck, right out of the end of it and yes it is dripping right on my turbo. I had to turn around today and drive home.

How would one go about fixing this part?

I read something about replacing an o-ring in another thread (but there was no picture so I have no way of knowing if it is the same part they are talking about).
I'm in the process of replacing that right now, I'll rebuild the one I take off as a spare.
There is a good set of photos in this thread, post #5
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62101-fuel-leak-ldt465-1c.html

And more info here,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/60512-flame-heater-check-valve.html