• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Id this trailer...

oddave715

Just won a trailer on auction and I have no idea what this thing is. It uses the m101a2 coupler, axle and springs. Otherwise it looks like some kind of generator trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, its a close cousin. The "A" frame on the front is the same, except where it attaches to the trailer frame. The springs and hub is the same. Parking brake the same. I see racks, the same. ETC.

oddave715

A real M101 was sold at the same location so I assume the side racks came from it. I do agree that it is some sort of close relative/derivative but I would think it should have a model number that is bound to be different. It reminds me of the newer LTT-HC trailers. I hope to pick it up on Monday so I hope to be able to get some info from data plate then. I am surprised that no one has any info or even seen one before.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is definitely a special purpose trailer frame on m101a2 style running gear. It is a m116a2 modified style frame but not the stock set up. It has a special fuel tank and filler but not the m37 belly tank of the older m101a1 gen set trailer or the filler neck and brace from the side of the cargo box.. Maybe a pressure washer, compressor, gen set or electronics gizmo carrier. The bows and sides resting on it, I don't think belong to it.

Interesting but please do share the data plate on the side. It does not look like the long m116a2 style data plate.

Last edited:

oddave715

That is definitely a special purpose trailer frame on m101a2 style running gear. It is a m116a2 modified style frame but not the stock set up. It has a special fuel tank and filler but not the m37 belly tank of the older m101a1 gen set trailer or the filler neck and brace from the side of the cargo box.. Maybe a pressure washer, compressor, gen set or electronics gizmo carrier. The bows and sides resting on it, I don't think belong to it.

Interesting but please do share the data plate on the side. It does not look like the long m116a2 style data plate.

I noticed the shorter data plate as well. And it looks to me like the frame is built out of c channel not the stamped kind like the 101s. Notice the edges of the frame are more square looking than the stamped frame material of the 101. The general construction of the frame is different as well. Shocks mount on a square tube crossmember. And look closely at the tongue assembly under the front of the frame. I'm hoping that the bearings are serviceable enough to tow it 2.5 hours home. Going to make a hitch to bolt into the spot that the surge unit was in.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed the shorter data plate as well. And it looks to me like the frame is built out of c channel not the stamped kind like the 101s. Notice the edges of the frame are more square looking than the stamped frame material of the 101. The general construction of the frame is different as well. Shocks mount on a square tube crossmember. And look closely at the tongue assembly under the front of the frame. I'm hoping that the bearings are serviceable enough to tow it 2.5 hours home. Going to make a hitch to bolt into the spot that the surge unit was in.

Surge unit is sitting on the frame. You could bolt it back on and use it as is. Since no hydraulics hooked up, even if it did not work hydraulically, nothing to lock up the brakes. Might just take some bolts with you and luck out.

oddave715

By the way, they had this there also. So this trailer was a usmc pump trailer. It had a Detroit Diesel engine and a great big water pump. Mine is a 1983 Parkhurst and the model is MOON1F. The frame is definitely heavier built than a m101. One other thing I found interesting is the axle has a data plate as well. It looks like a regular old m101a2 axle. I haven't had time to try to read it but I think it says Dexter on it. I've never seen a data plate on a m101 axle before.

Attachments

oddave715

Cut off the old engine and pump mounts today. Pulled the fuel tank and filter set up off yesterday. Removing some unnecessary weight. I plan to relocate the lifting rings that were on the rear. Next is a good bath and freshen up the paint. Gotta find a couple of tires as these are rotten. Then the plan is to drop the 887 body on it.

Attachments

oddave715

A little update on this trailer. The surge unit seen in the pics came missing the master cylinder and shock absorber. I had been planning on building a temporary hitch until the surge unit can be rebuilt. Well I finally got around to fabbing something up this week. I had planned on just doing a simple tractor style pin hitch. Well I got to thinking about having an extra lunette laying around. So this is what I built. Finished it up today and will be bolting it on later tonight or in the morning. This may end up being a more permanent hitch than I had planned. But only if I go with no brakes or swap axles to an electric brake axle.
T.jpg T2.jpg T3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks