• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID this truck

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the truck in the front is an m108 but I have no idea what the truck behind it is. It appears to be military but isn't a m109 or a m185 as it doesn't have windows or window tracks. Also notice the small door towards the front. This is the only picture I have, the m108 is listed for sale and noticed the other truck.IMG_2193.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need more pictures. There were windowless long wheel base deuces, probably had normal length ones also.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the seller knows what it is.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take pictures of the data plates (if any), take a bunch of pictures of the interior and exterior. Post them. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, its a non standard body so bank on it being an M44 or M45 depending on tire config.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amateur sleuthing is fun!

A cursory search of tandem axle box trucks suggests that the box in the picture looks much more like the box on a M109/M135 truck. The two separated cutouts for the tandem axle wheels are quite characteristic. Most eastern bloc vehicles, such as Praga, Tatra, Ural, ZIL have either one cutout spanning both axles or none at all. CCKW is out for the same reason. The box itself has a mild radius from the side walls and rear wall to the roof. This is also similar to the US trucks. Eastern bloc trucks seem to prefer a cut edge angled design, a right angle edge or a "hoop barn" style design. The box may well be something more uncommon; it is not a water purification box (does not have the front overhang). Maybe a shop box of some sort.
The truck itself has a hood, so cabovers are out. No Unimog, Pinzgauer, Robur, IFA or similar.

I am leaning towards a weird M135/M44 series truck.

id_m220_02_700.jpg

Last edited:

texas30cal

Someone needs to go get pics of it! Could it be some commercial box? It appears to have a rub strip down the side like what school buses have?

rustystud

Amateur sleuthing is fun!

A cursory search of tandem axle box trucks suggests that the box in the picture looks much more like the box on a M109/M135 truck. The two separated cutouts for the tandem axle wheels are quite characteristic. Most eastern bloc vehicles, such as Praga, Tatra, Ural, ZIL have either one cutout spanning both axles or none at all. CCKW is out for the same reason. The box itself has a mild radius from the side walls and rear wall to the roof. This is also similar to the US trucks. Eastern bloc trucks seem to prefer a cut edge angled design, a right angle edge or a "hoop barn" style design. The box may well be something more uncommon; it is not a water purification box (does not have the front overhang). Maybe a shop box of some sort.
The truck itself has a hood, so cabovers are out. No Unimog, Pinzgauer, Robur, IFA or similar.

I am leaning towards a weird M135/M44 series truck.

View attachment 683951
Your a pretty good "sleuth" there cattlerepairman !!!

someoldmoose

doghead, I think I love you ! ( In that manly, platonic, non-sexual way that we men love each other ). My vote also is for a "one off" modification of a 109 type. Maybe the C I A ordered it without windows, and with a side door so they could sneak in and out of it while parked in downtown Hanoi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks