• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ideal Tire setup on M35a2

welldigger

We bought our truck with 11's on it. So I can't speak for how it drives with those vs. the factory 9's. But it seems to do ok driving around town, it falls on its face on any kind of hill though (which is apparently common with these trucks regardless). Looking to do a 395 single conversion down the road, but we have quite a bit of work to do to the truck before I get around to running singles. I (personally) definitely think the 11's look better on these trucks than the factory tires, but 395 singles look even better. My 2cents
395's all tbe way. Steering, ride, top speed, and traction are all far better than 9.00x20's. And it just looks fantastic.

Mud Hugger

I run 395 XMLs singled, I have a full size spare in stock location. I use my duece for hauling firewood, rock, dirt, or whatever I need it for. I usually stay within 50miles from home but have never had a flat or tire issues. I wanted more offroad capabilities, which is a huge upgrade over 9.00 stockers, along with longer legs on highway. The stock engine did notice the size Difference though. I haven't turned up the fuel set but I do have plan this winter.

ATPTac

I run 395 XMLs singled, I have a full size spare in stock location. I use my duece for hauling firewood, rock, dirt, or whatever I need it for. I usually stay within 50miles from home but have never had a flat or tire issues. I wanted more offroad capabilities, which is a huge upgrade over 9.00 stockers, along with longer legs on highway. The stock engine did notice the size Difference though. I haven't turned up the fuel set but I do have plan this winter.
How bad do they bog your engine down? Is it a pretty big difference or just you noticed a little difference?

Mud Hugger

It was noticeable but can still get up to speed. When I haul 5yards of rock. It's almost impossible to get up to 55mph. Granted that it's about 12-15k weight in bed. Id really like to do a engine swap but the multifuel runs good and I burn a lot of diffent fuels. So Im just going to turn up pump a touch, I don't want to wreck my engine but a little more would be nice.

Merc1973

I had a deuce come out of the La. Forestry Service with a set of those on them. From what I recall they were 10x20 Firestones but those look like 9x20s.
Thanks. Any idea on where to get them and the cost?

Edit: It could the Akuret or the Power King. I like the look, i just wonder if they can be had for cheap?

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...froogle&wt_ref=&ID=froogle&wt_t=1385147621000

http://www.millertire.com/products/...-tires/10-00-20/10-00-20-power-king-traction/

Last edited:

rutledge1113

Well I have decided to go with the goodyear G177 1100x20's on stock rims for now with dual wheels on the single axel hopefully it wont look weird from the back because the duals are too wide since I have already purchased the tires I am hoping to get the single axel bolted up this weekend and the tires on even if im not completely finished with the bobbing just to see how it looks I guess I can always run a single tire on the rear and flip my hubs if it don't look right I will post some pics as soon as I have something to look at

Attachments

Last edited:

Hainebd

Couple of posts say g177 make front hard to steer. I run NDT 11-20 but will need replacements soon. I am in same boat as you tring to decide but know from experience that when you change one thing others need to be changed. For now till power steering and crew cad is done I am sticking with 11-20.

brianp454

I have a buddy here in OR that put 11x20 G177's on his deuce and he loves them. He said steering and handling improved over the NDT's. We have noticed that the tread has bumper the hex nuts on the bogie pin cap (don't know the proper name for it) just under the frame rails. I think pulling the hex heads and replacing them with button head cap screws would give them clearance. Those rear axles move around quite a bit when turning hard and it looks like the taller & wider 11x20's can just touch that spot. If you look between the rear wheels at the frame rails you'll see the spot I'm referring to.

Flyingvan911

My friend has the G177 and his is much easier to steer. You do have to add shims to adjust the caster as some deuces steer funny after putting radials on. His truck feels almost like power steering now.

tobyS

Been working on similar for my basic 925 with dual 11.00's. I want more float on the front and find that 365/80/R20 and 14.5R20 are within a few rev/mile, thus all wheel drive on hard surface is not going to destroy gears. Tire dealers say the 14.5 is getting hard to get and BOTH need metric rims.

I wish I had your problem. I'd do 11.00 dual (G177) on the rear and 365/80 on the front with A3 rims. Of course this means 2 spares (front and back).

Last edited:

eagle4g63

Hey Toby, I have the 11.00 dual/14.5 front combo you are thinking of.....I really like it, better than the 395's I use to run. As far as a spare, I run a 11.00 on a deuce rim just like the rear set ups, it works for a front spare also, just think of it like a donut on a civi car.....good to get you to where you need to get the front tire fixed, same diameter so no huge problems.

Attachments

tobyS

That's a fine looking truck. Did it make it through the soup that high?

I would like to give an 83 M817 the same proportion, but fronts are the issue.

ATPTac

Hey Toby, I have the 11.00 dual/14.5 front combo you are thinking of.....I really like it, better than the 395's I use to run. As far as a spare, I run a 11.00 on a deuce rim just like the rear set ups, it works for a front spare also, just think of it like a donut on a civi car.....good to get you to where you need to get the front tire fixed, same diameter so no huge problems.
Wow, that looks really good... Starting to make me rethink doing 395's all the way around. I can't really tell from the picture, what kind of tires are you running on the rear?

eagle4g63

I'm running the Michelin XL's all the way around. I use to have the XML 395's all around on my other truck.....I can say this much since we have had some snow the last couple of days.....I use to be able to do parking lot donuts with the 395's pretty easy, with these on they grab way more and I haven't been able to flip the back end around on them yet. Could be these are new and my old ones were only about 70% or could be the fact that they are dueled in the back....All I know is these things GRAB real good.

I do like to "test" my tires at the beginning of the season to see how they will respond....since I do drive my truck everyday. I think I am going to like this tire set up the best so far.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know where that mud is from, Nathan could you repost that link on tire sizes that you posted early in this thread.
Thanks Dave

eagle4g63

I would love to Dave however I have not been able to get it back.....apparently the link went dead.....I knew I should have tried to find a way to save the info from that page. It was the only place I found that had that info all in one place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks