• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ideia to quiet down a 6.2L

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since its a diesel the intake is just as loud as the exchaust in my opinion so I came up with a 3.5 hose to the side fender, attach it to an exterior pipe that runs along the hood to the windscreen and 90 degree up to a air intake cap.
My theory is this will quiet down the intake anough to be comfortable.

Any suggestions...?

Westech

CPL
Why don't you just install a CIVY intake pipe that goes form the radiator support to the air cleaner.... you can get them for about 5 bucks at a junk yard or online

japickar

I believe I would start by using sound-deadening material inside the cab like dynomat before I started cutting a big hole in my fender. If your only reason for adding a snorkle is for sound suppression, IMO there are better ways to go about it.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you just install a CIVY intake pipe that goes form the radiator support to the air cleaner.... you can get them for about 5 bucks at a junk yard or online

Thought about that to but I thought a proper snorkel type set up would be the quietest. Thanks again for your help.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I would start by using sound-deadening material inside the cab like dynomat before I started cutting a big hole in my fender. If your only reason for adding a snorkle is for sound suppression, IMO there are better ways to go about it.
Sound was one of reasons, the second was I crossed a river/creek last week to pull out a tree and the water was up to the winch in front, from what I know the diesel will work submurged as long as the intake is dry.

Thanks for your input.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you willing to sacrifice performance for a quiter engine???
I have all the power I need for the application, I am guessing the MPG will decrese a tad but not much. I like to be as quiet as possable in any situation, know what I mean..Thanks for your help

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess I should have qualified that answer better. I've had three 6.2's over the years. I did a J code intake swap on a 1/2t civy truck once and left that tube off. I reinstalled it when I got back home just because of all the noise. :beer:

big block 88

Pull some timeing and the rattle will relax a bit... But down goes your performance/ 6.2's are very similar to the old multi fuel engines, they love alot of clean cool air. Run an intake tube up to the rad support and make the intake behind the head light or under the bumper. Also a turbo will help alot as the motor will be force fed an HX35 off a cummins is a common choice for the 6.2/6.5 crowd. Performance will go up a bit but effiency will be improved a great deal.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're looking at the hood liner stuff, just buy new. That stuff wears out and gets nasty, you won't find anything worthwhile at a junkyard. Or install sound deadening adhesive liner. Car audio shops will have this. Or if you want a cheap means of doing it, just pick up two cans of rubberized car undercarriage spray.

big block 88

Big Block 88, by efficiency, do you mean improved gas mileage?

Absolutely, Diesel love air. Remember a diesel engine throttle off of fuel not air like a gas engine. Therefor a diesel runs at it's full potentail from idle to redline, the more air you can give it the more fuel it can burn and the better of an air fuel ratio mix you will get.

The power increase from turbo'in a 6.2 will be minimal but the motor will all around run better. Feeding it 5-10 psi would help it run better, smoother, quiter and fuel economy will improve noticably

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a turbo kit available for the 6.2..?

Absolutely, Diesel love air. Remember a diesel engine throttle off of fuel not air like a gas engine. Therefor a diesel runs at it's full potentail from idle to redline, the more air you can give it the more fuel it can burn and the better of an air fuel ratio mix you will get.

The power increase from turbo'in a 6.2 will be minimal but the motor will all around run better. Feeding it 5-10 psi would help it run better, smoother, quiter and fuel economy will improve noticably

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IGD,

I DID exactly what you are trying to contemplate.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37944-hood-insulation-install.html

I use fatmat, not dynamat UNDER the LMC Trucks Insulator (cost $62 plus shipping - you need 12 retainers to hold it in place and they are $1 each, plus the insulator at $40 - edit - note that the middle hole in the hood is NOT the correct size, so if you want to put a insulator retainer there you MUST enlarge the hole).

This quiets the engine down almost entirely. I use a modified intake with a K&N airfilter and that puppy IS noisy, but it does flow air. I recently replaced my mufflers with turbo mufflers so now I have a nice throaty roar from them and now I have good air flow in AND out. It's an interesting sound mix. I'm not sure which is louder, the intake or the exhaust. But it's a sound I enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks