• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idiling

OL AG '89

I idle mine for at least 20 minutes before jumping in, no matter the temperature. I figure we used to let the M113's and M-60's idle for hours on end when using for CP or out on gunnery range.
The 6.2 doesn't have a "slobber cup" so no worries.
Anybody have a story about emptying a slobber cup on a 113 or 577?

Barrman

No, but my Whistler left a little puddle out the slobber tube after running for 3 hours down to San Antonio last week and then sitting in the GSA lot idling for another hour. I was kind of worried until I saw where it was coming from. I had the idle up to 1000 by the way just so it wouldn't load up too much.

Barrman

Sure was Rich.

The only difference between the civi and miltary 6.2 pumps is supposed to be the hardend parts inside. However, since those parts still break on either version when gasoline is run through the pump. It really doesn't matter.

Use this site to find the nearest rebuilder to you:
North America - Stanadyne
Give them a call and see what they can do for you. The pumps can be rebuilt by following the step by step instructions in the TM. Rebuild kits are less than $70 online even. The problem is it needs to be flow tested and calibrated. Only a Stanadyne place can do that for you.

notsosanestan

I bet if these things had hours meters on them we would all be amazed I'm sure they idled for long periods of time while in service

2deuce

I'm always late for work so mine is moving if its running, but I'm gentle on the pedal for the 1st mile. I can't see any harm for idling. I had an isuzu diesel that needed glow plugs that I let idle until I had time to replace them. I left it running while at work (8hrs)more than once. The body fell off that car but the engine still purred when I got rid of it.

91W350

My original M1008 was a jail service truck, it had a bad starter and flywheel, once they got it started, they never shut it off until the day was done. I cannot tell it hurt a thing. It was still running great when the nurse in the Suburban blew a red light and killed the front clip and door pillar. Looking back, I should have fixed it.

TRG

what would normal idle time be........before u can drive off......

?:jumpin:
I'm sure that there are those that will disagree but.... Its my understanding that the smaller diesels like the 6.2 can be driven as soon as there is oil pressure. You just want to make sure that you take it easy for the first few miles or so. If it was colder than 20 degrees I'd let it idle for a couple of minutes. These smaller diesels will never fully warm up unless you drive them. I drove a Dodge/Cummins using this method for 270,000 miles and the truck was still running strong when I sold it.

D T

I wait for it to kick down,I like to let the tranny get a little temp. to it,I also like to let the gpr get finished cycleing,and let the batteries get a little juice recovered,I was under my truck the other day ,while it was running and touched my arm to the down pipe,if it was a gas truck I would have left a big patch of skin on the pipe,I cant get my heater to warm up 'till I drive up a hill.

xenocath

searching.............
I have always warmed every vehicle till the oil pressure drops to normal. the fast idle kicking off on my truck does not leave it warm enough . my oil pressure when warmed and running normal is around 40 psi when cold and starting its around 70 ish. if i start out right after the fast idle kicks out then it sounds like a dryer full of hammers and although it may be normal for these type motors to sound that way my experience with other types of engines makes me really nervous to run something sounding like that. idle times for me are until water temp is 160 ish and oil pressure is close to normal.

transman

I just had to lay one of my 1008s to rest because the IP drive shaft seal crapped .but that being said I've sometimes drove off on a completely cold motor, sometimes it's idled for hours in cold weather wile I've b een enjoying some adult beverages at the local bar. It has consumed all sorts of fuel including veggie oil,transformer oil /diesel blends.maybe I'm luckier than others but after 238000 miles this old wreck dosen't owe me anything!

goldneagle

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks