• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID'ing turbo from non-turbo?

idM1028

Before anybody says "just pop the hood and look" I understand what a turbo looks like and I'd rather not when somebody else owns the truck and they're not around, if for nothing else than out of respect to them. I'll look all day long, I will never EVER touch without permission. Long story short, I'm rolling through the town the other day when I see a camo deuce parked out in front of a Dairy Queen. I come to find out it belongs to the owner of the place. Originally, they had it parked out in front for some sort of military special/discount and then kept it around in case they might get the chance to use it to help out victims of the recent flooding. A closer inspection reveals its an M35A2 (I'm pretty tall so I peeked at the data plate on the dash through the window) without winch, pretty good paint, the truck had the cover and bows for the rear. I also notice something interesting: instead of having the typical "U" shaped exhaust piping, it had more of a "Y" shape to it and what appeared to be a muffler behind the wheel well. ???? I have only seen one other truck like this and it was a non-turbo deuce. Am I correct in assuming this particular truck does not have a turbo as well?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That Y shaped was the NON-turbo exhaust muffler. You can also tell by the smaller stack tube than a turbo'd motor.

idM1028

Figures. I know a bit about deuces, but not that much. Would it be possible to run that setup on a turbo'd engine? About the only way I'd know how to tell if its turbo or not is to actually look at the engine (or look for the black diesel clouds of death that the non-turbo trucks like to spout) I have found that for me, looking at the exhaust piping and air cleaners is a pretty good indicator of what kind of truck I'm looking at.

Tlauden

I just look at the stack, if it's big like a semi's it's got a turbo. My non turbo's exhaust is almost more like the standard size of a gasoline pickup's...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks