• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Idle dropping low

Dukeman

Hey guys! Haven't been around in a while, mostly because everything has been running great and have been able to take care of what ever the big truck has needed but having a problem I'm hoping I can get some ideas.

Basically the idle drops down, sometimes to almost a stall. Starts up fine, idles great for a while then even when warmed up the idles drops to almost a stall. Doesn't stall, lopes for a couple seconds then idles back smooth for a while.

I noticed the fuel feed tube from the primary filter to the injector pump was old and cracked and dripping slightly so I had a new one made and replaced it. Replaced the main filter and the small metal filter in the top of the injector pump. Really thought that was going to do the trick, but no luck. I know there could be a ton of things that could be causing this and the truck is 160 miles away so I can't just go out and play with it.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

What about the other rubber fuel lines from for tank selector valve?

Have you ever resealed your tank selector valve?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep, sounds like still sucking air from a small leak (a $5 suck)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you still may have a little air leak. You could bump the idle up a little on the pump and see if that helps. Is this a NHC250 or 8.3?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it looks like an M939 series truck.

Specifically an M931

NHC-250 motor.

Dukeman

My first reply didn't post, hmmm, what did I do. Anyway, in response to doghead:

Yes, M-931, modified with a trailer bed and extended frame to accommodate the RV 5th wheel hitch.

Yes, changed the main fuel filter and the small filter inside the injection pump. I have not looked at the rubber lines going to the selector valve, that is a good idea. I have never resealed the selector valve, tell me about that please. Are there gaskets, o-rings that need to be replaced?

Thanks for the replies

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In pump screen filter is ONLY in case the pump grenades. It stops metal from getting to the injectors...it filters backwards, inside out and has a magnet in it, it has no effect on the way the engine performs. Run it out of a bucket to eliminate a chassis issue because a pump can cause the same issue.