• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idle problem

rsh4364

Ever since I ran my 1009 out of fuel it idles kinda funny,it sorta studders occasionally,its really hard to descibe,it will idle smoothly then go woomf woomf woomf quickly then smooth out again,but does this sporadically,hot or cold,I have changed fuel filt. twice but still does it,truck runs awesome at anything above idle..any thoughts ?

Vhyle

Sounds like there's some air trapped in the fuel system. When you ran it low, it probably sucked in some air, which could be causing the problems you're having.

Have you tried bleeding the system?

Barneyrubble

Check the sock on the end of the fuel pick up in the tank,it may be partially blocked with crud from the tank.If not that,when truck is running,crack each injector and bleed each line,there may still be air in somewhere.

rsh4364

thanks guys it runs so good other than at idle I dont think its filter sock,I do notice some bubbles when i bleed fuel filter drain though, but ill try injectors next,its my first diesel,so still learning....would this affect mpg ?

rsh4364

got three bled before rained out,any idea if metric or standard?would like to buy some line wrenchs to finish job,had to use a cresent wrench and did not go well..Thanks..

ralbelt

I have used both, the crows foot on the rear ones is easier iirc, be careful not to turn the metal line when loosening the connection to the injector, you could split it. Sometimes the injector might want to turn also so be prepared to watch for that.

scottladdy

I have used both, the crows foot on the rear ones is easier iirc, be careful not to turn the metal line when loosening the connection to the injector, you could split it.
A flare nut wrench also works well. They provide purchase on more of the hex. A good set is invaluable when working on vehicles, so I recommend getting one.

Sometimes the injector might want to turn also so be prepared to watch for that.
If that happens, I recommend removing the line and re-torquing the injector. 50 ft. lbs. is the specification. You will need a 30 mm deep socket to do so.

Barrman

A 7/8" open end between the return barbs on the injector is a lot easier with the back ones to tighten it down.

Loosen the lines and turn the engine over. Any air will come out. If you are trying to track down a single cylinder not working right, start the engine and loosen them one at a time. You will get a spray out, bleed any air and notice a difference in the idle as each one sprays. If the idle doesn't change, then that injector isn't working.