• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IED crane repurpose

Thor81

Well got my fassi crane picked up from Chambersburg and started building a log forwarder/flat deck trailer for it. Got it bolted on today to test fit and needed to fold it up properly so I could access the rest of the bolts so had to play a little.

All in all I think the crane was brand new never used just some damage from some private with a forklift, like scratched paint and a couple cut hydrant hoses. But the paint was still on all the grease zero caps and it wipes off if you pull the cap off so I think they have never been removed before. Only issue I gave with it is one of the joysticks on the remote does not spring return to center like it should, already have a call into fascinating on that. Unless someone on here got one of these as well and will not be using the remote (have manual levers as well) I would buy the whole remote for the right price.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, those really have a heck of a reach for not using out-riggers! Do you plan on making a set? What is the load capacity?

I guess I should have got that one from Phil instead of letting Joe in Ky have it...

Thor81

Yes I have to build outriggers, it would of tipped the trailer over if I didn't have the skid steer holding it down. The buffalo had enough counterwieght it wasn't an issue.

Supposed to lift 1k lbs at full reach and like 4k lbs in close. max reach of 25'

Thor81

Log forwarder. Have to get a rotator yet and build a grapple. Trailer will have 2 pairs of log stakes and once they are pulled out plan is to have a flat deck that pins into the 4 stake pockets as well. Should then work well for lifting super sacks of soybeans etc

Thor81

Well I got the valve block and electrical box mounted, ordered a bunch of hydraulic fittings and have figured up a oil tank and tool box for it. Put it out in the shed for a couple days now while I catch up on some other work for a bit and wait for parts to come in. Looks like I can use the fassi pump that came with it, just have to hook it up to a 1000 pto to get the speed needed, which works out as all of our tractors either have 1000 pto, dual 540 and 1000, or a 540 shaft that can spin either 540 or 1000 on the smallest one.

Looks like the main valve block has a main relief valve built in, and is open center type, have to find a valve for the outriggers yet, have to check but I think if that is open center as well I could plumb it inline on the pressure side. Or it might have to go on the tank side of the main valve, just have to remember how that works when the relief is part of the main valve.

dmetalmiki

That is one heck of a usefull crane. And a nice job of making up the fitment. Post up pictures of the outriggers when you get then fitted.

Thor81

Well some fittings showed up today and IU was able to plumb the skid steer right up to the valve block itself. Got the electronics box mounted as well and was able to test out the remote. Have to read the the schematics a bit more but pretty sure I'll have to swap every A&B port line around as the remote does opposite what the labels are. perharps theres a way in the electrical box to swap the signals as the hand controls are right, so to keep the remote and hand controls the same reall;y just requires a swap of the electrical signal. I think I may be able to just unscrew the joysticks in the remote and flip them over as well if needed.

But anyway it rotates now. Pic is of full hyd extension to the rear, front ways it goes just past the front tire of the tractor. Seems to have just a touch over 360 deg rotation too. Time to order some more steel and finish the stake pockets and some gussets and get on building a grapple and a oil tank for the pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks