• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If I could find a rolling chassis ....

springer1981

for a completely custom build, this is what I would do. A Humjeep. Maybe narrow it 12" and put a TD inline 4 in it. I think it would be a blast.

humjeep2.jpg

soft top.jpg

humjeep.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have significant issues with rear driveshaft length being too short and creating too acute of an angle. You may also need to reset the pinion angle based on those issues. You may also disengage the rear driveshaft from the transfer case if it slides too far with bumps.

Better idea is to eliminate the rear doors and extend the rear quarterpanels forward. You can then move the "B"-pillar a bit more to the rear, move the bar behind the seat back with the B-pillar, and in so doing create a reclining seat with more leg room. Then stretch fabric doors or fabricate stretched fiberglass doors to fit the wider driver's and passenger's door portals.

MattNC

The “dirt every day” guys did a whole motortrend show on shortening a humvee to jeep wheelbase and turning it into a rock crawler. They’ve got it on YouTube showing the entire build from surplus to finish.

springer1981

You may also need to reset the pinion angle based on those issues. You may also disengage the rear driveshaft from the transfer case if it slides too far with bumps.
Why would it slide with bumps? The rearend doesn't move and the eng/trans/tc doesn't move. Bumps don't effect anything.

tobyS

Cool ideas with the HMMWV.

Is there a supply of bodies and frames to hack up? I have a wide Dana 80 to use and could get rid of front drive to get a bit lower profile

dmetalmiki

I like the idea of the conversion to narrower, that would be an original concept.
Build one, (And), Likely the 'Government' will order 100,000. (Who knows..).

springer1981

I like the idea of the conversion to narrower, that would be an original concept.
I think with a different engine you could take 12" out right down the center and it would still be 6'2" wide. It would be a lot of work to move the frame rails closer and take 6" out of each CV shaft. I definitely think it could be done and would look more proportionally correct. I'd be afraid a shortened Humvee at stock width, it would look almost square from above LOL.

Hood would look something like this hood.jpg

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was done on the show "dirt every day." They used their surplus hmmwv on one episode with 40's and went crawling. Later on in another episode, they chopped the frame and shortened it up quite a bit. Its on the motortrend app someplace.

tobyS

When they moved the engine back closer to the CG, they put it nearly between driver and passenger. That would seem to make narrowing really a challenge.

tobyS

Springer, did you start with a drawing or draft one yourself? I'd like to see a lowered 4door 4x2.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have significant issues with rear driveshaft length being too short and creating too acute of an angle. You may also need to reset the pinion angle based on those issues. You may also disengage the rear driveshaft from the transfer case if it slides too far with bumps.

Better idea is to eliminate the rear doors and extend the rear quarterpanels forward. You can then move the "B"-pillar a bit more to the rear, move the bar behind the seat back with the B-pillar, and in so doing create a reclining seat with more leg room. Then stretch fabric doors or fabricate stretched fiberglass doors to fit the wider driver's and passenger's door portals.
Not an issue, the differentials are frame mounted and move very little.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks