• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If it ant straight it aint right!

SuperchargedRS

Got a dent in my roof, looks like some yahoo sat on it, how the heck do I get it out with the metal headliner????

Thanks,
-SuperchargedRS

**I am about to lay the paint and I dont want to paint over damn dents lol!

Attachments

J2H

Was this an old Air Force vehicle? Air Force cops do dumb things like sit on roofs, lol, I know... I myself have done it

ida34

Get one of the stud gun welders at harbor freight and use a slide hammer to punch it out. Then just grind off the stud and paint. I think they are about $100 and have been thinking about getting one myself.

papercu

dent

If you can not bump it from the inside, a suction cup may work but if it has CARC I don't know if it will get a grip. If nothing else will work, then drill a hole and use the old slide-hammer. Wayne

AZDeuce

I agree with ida34, use the stud gun. My friend has one, and showed me how to use it, I had two major dents on the roof of my M1009, I thought I was going to have to drill a bunch of holes and use a puller, like in my old highschool hotrod days! Not so, you just study the dent and determine where you want to pull from, remove the paint and zap it with the gun. It leaves a 1' or so rod that you can attach a slide hammer to. Then just start hammering, then when you get it to the point your happy, then grind, the studs off, lightly bondo if necessary, prime and paint. SIMPLE!! I was impressed.

If they're little dents you can probably use just 1 rod. If they're big dents, like "butt prints" it will take several. Mine had butt prints on each front corner, she looks as good as new now, and no holes were needed, as those might let moisture sneak in between the two layers of metal and cause rust issues. Hope this helps.

SuperchargedRS

What I am doing is taking the 1/4 inch rod that I have the make shift slide hammer (see pic) riding on, I spot weld the 1/4 inch rod to the dent give it a few pulls and bada bing

I think that using this home made thing (made out of scrap) probably will work better the the store bought unit; as the 1/4 inch rod has more surface area so I would think it would be less likely to make a high spot as it would have better control?

Any more suggestions, keep em' coming.

papercu

roof

Well, if you have more time than money, you could try the stud thing .
with some JB Weld
If you are going to be grinding the paint of anyway the suction cup will work if it not too close to the edge. Wayne

J2H

Dents make the vehicles what they are, lol, I have yet to see one of our AF vehicles without a dent (even new ones).

SuperchargedRS

Mine was army, but I understand the whole "adding charater" thing that said, in my case as this will be my daily driver that I also use for business I can handle the "new tough military truck" look, but the "old dented faded yee haa millitary truck" look wont work out too well with how I am going to be using the M1009.

Well enough BSing back to the mig gun and the friggin dents!

SuperchargedRS

Well I just about got the one side done, now I see why they use small rods in the guns, I have ALLOT to grind using the 1/4 rod.

The mess on the door is cutisey of "dentmaster", I had a dent I could have pushed out by hand, he says "hey I can do that for you in a second" and wayla, he used his little "paintless dent removial" picks wedged up a dranage hole in the bottom of the door to create a few hours of pain in the azz for me, then

I have this other dent that I took the paint off of and I think (see hope) that will be the last dent I will find before I lay the new CARC.

Time for a beer, then time to get back to it...kinda like darts

Attachments

SuperchargedRS

3 of 3

this is the last little hard dent

if anyone has any input/suggestions as am I am all ears

after this one and the door I will take the one off the roof, and hopefully with the aid of a....plunger, it is such a soft dent I really dont want to have to break out the heavy artillery.

Attachments

BKinzey

On small dents without creases I saw a guy use a torch 8) Said stamped metal has a tendency to return to it's original shape. Lifted a couple of dents out. It was in a paint your car video.

beetleswamp

SuperchargedRS said:
...for business I can handle the "new tough military truck" look, but the "old dented faded yee haa millitary truck" look wont work out too well with how I am going to be using the M1009.
Ha ha ha. I have the "yee haa" military truck. Actually out here the Samoan 'Chee Hooo" might be more appropriate.

SuperchargedRS

Welcome to the site, always a good sense of taste when someone resurrects one of my old posts lol Always wanted to go to the islands, though due to my business might not be possible for a while!

Bigmick

Hi Supercharged.
Had dents in almost the exact same place as yourself, must be a dent magnet zone, my buddy welded on nails and got the worst out with the slide hammer, then gave up and got the filler out, mumbling "SOB PITA POS CUCV" and other varied abbreviations, that's the best we could without cutting it out and welding in a patch.
I got a pic somewhere of the dent in my roof, didn't realise it was a dent till we pulled out 2" thickness of filler, dunno about being sat on, looked more like someone dropped a safe on it, then we found it had been on it's side at some time in it's life, I ended up digging out the old filler with an axe and rejigged the cab with a hydraulic ram.