• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you could have only one CUCV...

Milbikes

Which would it be? M1008 or M1009? I like my M1008, but it is limited in traveling modern highways by the road speed. It is strong as an ox though. An M1009 can cruise at 65 so I have read. An M1009 is not a heavy hauling vehicle, but holds more people, and has some room inside for stuff.

I would like to have one 4x4 Diesel powered civilian pickup to tow a trailer at highway speeds, and one CUCV (Model to be determined).

Right now I have a C2500 2wd diesel I'll be letting go. I have a K2500 6.5 Diesel Suburban that I just replaced the lift pump, injector pump, fuel tank, tank sender, hydroboost on. I would like to see that one go away too. It is a nice solid no rust truck, but isn't good for my needs. I have a M1008 that runs good, but is not registered.

I feel like I am looking at the snacks in 7-11 at 2AM and can't decide what I want....

dstang97

I talked to you the other day about trading. I like the pick up better. (I have both) You can always put another tranny in it to get an overdrive. But the truck has way better axles and can tow with it/ put stuff in the bed.

why not get rid of the other vehicles and have 2 military trucks?

DokWatson

I'm pretty happy with my slightly modified M1028.

The front locker can get annoying though, right now I cruise around in 4wd because its icy on the back roads. Turning on dry pavement sounds and feels nasty.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd get a M1028A3 and change the gears to 3:73's.

I've got an M1028A2 and an M1009. With the correct military tow bar, it makes a great package for sure.

I love this setup. I can run the Blazer at highway speeds. The M1028A2 will do 65, but it only gets 10 mpg at that speed.

But it will handle a load for sure. The only mod I'd make to the dually is the passenger side saddle fuel tank. 20 gallons goes pretty quickly.

View attachment 215817

DokWatson

I've got an M1028A2 and an M1009. With the correct military tow bar, it makes a great package for sure.

I love this setup. I can run the Blazer at highway speeds. The M1028A2 will do 65, but it only gets 10 mpg at that speed.

But it will handle a load for sure. The only mod I'd make to the dually is the passenger side saddle fuel tank. 20 gallons goes pretty quickly.

View attachment 215817
Weird... Mine gets 13 city, 16 highway.

I'm going to put a suburban tank in mine.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow bar? how does it hook up to the tie down shackles? just need to know in case i need to tow a member.

p.s where can i get one aua

91W350

I tell myself I do not need to be insuring five vehicles, but I have a hard time letting one go. I have 2 M1009s and have one out for an extended test drive. It is a great running truck and I offered it to him for a fair price, but I really do not care if he buys it. He is a fellow member and if it gets him over his financial hump in a few months and I get it back, that is fine with me. Glen

91W350

I guess I failed to answer the basic question, I would do the M1009 with a trailer. Highway speeds, good economy, haul about anything the pickup can and room for the dogs inside. I really do not need the heavy duty 4x4 pickup with my 91W350 Dodge Cummins 5 speed 4x4 single rear wheel hanging around, but I sure love my M1008! Glen

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am so proud and happy to live here in the United States of America. The land of the free and home of the brave. The greatest country on planet earth. Here in the USA we don't have to make a choice between CUCV's. We are free to own whichever and however many we want to own, only limited by your drive to succeed in life and pay for them. God Bless the USA!

rwbrown72

What is it that Wreckerman says? Hmmm..... "I'd rather have a sister in a cat house than a brother with a CUCV!":D
I like my M1009.... when it is running!:sad:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow bar? how does it hook up to the tie down shackles? just need to know in case i need to tow a member.

p.s where can i get one aua
OK, they 'hook up' via a 1" pin through the shackle bars front or back. When attaching to the front of a truck, you are generally pulling it. But the neat thing is you can hook it to the rear of the truck (via the pintle or shackle bars) and push the truck where you want it. I can pull a broken vehicle into my driveway, unhook it, put the tow bar on the other end and then push it into place that last ten or fifteen feet or so.

The 'feet' of the tow bar can have 3/4" pins (WWII jeeps I've been told and perhaps M37). The CUCV, deuce and five ton all use 1" pins. That is STRICTLY for the Medium tow bar. There is a tow bar foot that has both 3/4" and 1" pin holes so you can use it on either, but I've only seen pictures, not actually held one yet. PLUS you can get a clamp with a chain on it that attaches to a tow bar so you could tow a vehicle by it's axle by putting the clamp against it and then tightening the chain - you've just exhausted my knowledge of the clamp, though a buddy of mine has one, he has not used it yet.

Their is also a HEAVY tow bar, but trust me, you do NOT want that. It's mainly for TANKS I think. Or really big trucks like a 10 ton, and it weighs 350 lbs or more and takes three or four guys to put into place. A buddy of mine has one, why I have no idea, but he got it cheap, so hey, collecting is...

You can get them on Gov Liq, from a member here (I know one) and from the usual places like Ebay, craigslist, etc...

Like has been said, I could NOT live with out mine.

And the reason I own multiple CUCV's is BECAUSE if one is not running to my satisfaction, I just take a different one.

And if one breaks down, all I got to do is get home, get one of the other CUCV's, hopefully the M1028 and my tow bar and retrieve it. I've actually done it by myself a couple of times now.

While not easy, you can do it without soldier B if necessary. That's a positive if you are going to keep more than one.

Last edited:

lavarok

I would like to have one 4x4 Diesel powered civilian pickup to tow a trailer at highway speeds, and one CUCV (Model to be determined).

Right now I have a C2500 2wd diesel I'll be letting go. I have a K2500 6.5 Diesel Suburban that I just replaced the lift pump, injector pump, fuel tank, tank sender, hydroboost on. I would like to see that one go away too. It is a nice solid no rust truck, but isn't good for my needs. I have a M1008 that runs good, but is not registered.
What year is the 'burb?

As for the topic at hand, I have deep affection for my M1031. However, the M1010 gets jealous and tells her sister wives, the M1009 and M1008, on me which only results in more PM!

Seriously though, you need to identify your need for the CUCV. If your going to get a Civy truck for towing, then buy the M1009 for joy riding.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well if i could have one and would Me M1028a2 and for my self M1028A3 dually and for I M1031 Contrac truck.
you said if i can only have 1.
Me my Self and I / total for 3 :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks