• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you own an M35 you need this!

tm america

the driveshaft is getting power the axle that is not being disconnected is being driven the same speed as the other wheels so since all three axles have the same gear ratio the spider gear will not be moving when you are going straight since everything is going the same speed the spider gears only work in a turn to compensate the difference in wheel speed from side to side it the driveshaft was not being powered the spider gears would be spinning like crazysince they would be getting powered by the tire that is not disconnected think about it like this if you hold one tire and turn the pinion the tire that is not being held will double the speed of the carrier but if the pinion is powered and one axle is going the same speed as the carrier then the other axle will go the same speed as the carrier also

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a set of shafts and lockouts from Randy that I am going to install after I get my new rims and tires on, is there any advantage to putting them in the front rear axle or the very back one?

tm america

i was thinking the same thing but might over stress the one axle if you just freed the one hub but i would like to give it a try to see what happens free up one hub on each axle for normal driving and lockem both in for the goo:twisted:

blackdiesel

I only read the first few pages where ya'll were talking about the spider gears and worried that it would hurt them to turn at different speeds for extended periods of time...

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&current=FirewoodProcessor_0003.flv
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&current=FirewoodProcessor_0003.flv

Here is what i'm using my deuce for. DO NOT tell me that it is going to gernade. DO NOT tell me that one side will sieze, forcing power to the other wheel, then run over me. and DO NOT say that it is "hurting" it. I've been into this on other forums, and dont really care to argue about it again. I've put several thousand miles on it like this with no problems. She will set there and run at ~18 mph all day long.

For those of you who wonder why on earth i did this, the answer is simple. Speed. A PTO on a tractor turns only 540 rpm. I am now turning the pump somewhere between 7-8 hundred rpm. Which increased my production considerably. Plus, instead of turning a tractor wide open, i am running the deuce around 1800 rpm (tach does not work) which burns much less fuel, and i can pour anything into the tank which the multifuel will burn. Enjoy

Last edited:

tm america

ok just one question. why not jact the whole truck up take out the drivshaft running to the rear axles to frre up more power and use less fuel .not to mention the safety factor. i know it hasnt messed up yet but it is a mechanical piece and things go wrong why put your life on the line having the tires on the ground i rebuild rear ends and transmissions for a living and spider gears do seize on the cross pin its only a matter of time before it happens why not eliminate that chance and get the other tires of the ground believe me none of us want to say i told you so to bad it killed him:roll:the spider gears are only splash lubed and with the way the carrier is made not alot of lube gets to the spider gears and even less makes its way between the spider gears and the cross shaft i probably do 25 to 30 front wheel drive units a year for that exact reason and maybe 15 rearends a year cuz the spiders siezed on the cross shaft id hate to be counting on that for my safe hope you make a good choice rember some bad choices you dont live to regret good luck:?:

blackdiesel

The rear driveshaft is laying in the back of the truck. 8 bolts was easier than getting 8 tires off the ground. I'm working on a power unit to run the processor off of so I can free up my truck. It will work much the same way but I have cut both axle shafts on that axle. Stranger things have happened but I don't think she's going anywhere. Like I said, I'm not arguing about it. My truck my machine my life my call. Thanks for the concern though

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a set of shafts and lockouts from Randy that I am going to install after I get my new rims and tires on, is there any advantage to putting them in the front rear axle or the very back one?
While pulling, accelerating (forward!) or just doing 55mph..... as a reaction to torque there is a force that makes the front-rears lift up and transfer those X-pounds to the rear-rears.
Since added weight = better traction, I suggest to leave the RR axle as is and put that kit on the FR, (drivers side recommended!)

If still in doubt pull an axle shaft from the RR, stop on a steep road going uphill (or find some wet pavement) and (try to) accelerate hard. Then repeat that maneuver with only a FR shaft pulled. I bet you will notice the difference!

G.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that's interesting. Thanks for the info!

It sounds like "hot rod deuce" is no longer carrying the kits, if anyone is interested in a price shoot me a PM.

hot rod deuce

Hey, guys.

I offered all of the sales from the site to Scott. He is a great guy and should be able to better serve you in the future.

With the creation of Drive A Tank Inc., our new in door shooting range, Vantage Point Inc. Plus the machine gun shoots coming up I no longer have time to offer this service to the site.

Thanks
Tony
www.driveatank.com

kurtze99

The fire wood processor setup amazed me. I have seen machinery designed by engineers with all kinds of safety features that still hurt or kill people because its "safe" at least blackdiesel is aware of the potential mishap. I also admire him for the ingenuity, if he's like me the old saying applies" poor people have poor ways" but it gets the job done. Thanks for the video!