• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If your turbo blew up what would you replace it with?

treysoucie

Well im going to pick up my deuce on saturday and the guy who pulled it off of base for me has been running some preliminary tests for me. Batteries/temp/breaks yada yada. The truck got a good bill of health minus one (possible) thing.. he says that when he gives it gas he gets a whining noise out of it, nothing crazy but a noticeable whine. He thinks its the turbo (hope hes right im driving it 6 hours home) so its got me thinking about what i would do if the turbo was bad, rebuilding is always an option but turbos are cheap now a days and the technology has come a long way.

gungearz

Is it a whistler turbo...? Maybe he's not familiar with it and assumes something is wrong... And if there is something wrong, replace it with the same one you take out or if you have basic mechanical skills, you can rebuild it...

treysoucie

Not sure what the '87 models have but this guy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is unfamiliar with turbos.. Although he is not famiar with the m35a2. Appearently the other one he recovered does not make this sound but I don't know what year model it is.

Last edited:

gungearz

Year doesn't matter... What matters is it a A2 or A3...? C turbo is the whistler.... And a D turbo is not. What motor is in it...? Multifuel...? If so, its a A2 and you might have the notorious screaming, whistling C turbo....

wsucougarx

The M35A2's were made up until 1989 (new production, not rebuilds). Chances are it's an M35A2C. Most of the later deuces were USAF contract trucks with the dropside bed. All of my late modeled deuces have had a non-whistler turbo. One can quickly identify which turbo by the appearance of the exhaust side of the housing on the turbo unit itself. If it's a clam shell looking housing then it's a whistler.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 87 is a A2 , the A3's were rebuilt in the mid 90's . Have him shoot a video and post it here if you can . It may be a better idea to have it shipped . If the turbo is questionable, have a list of heavy tow companies along the way and a high limit credit card if you drive it.

treysoucie

It's an A2 just like my last one, I had the C turbo on it (VERY loud and only saw about 9psi under full load with the fuel turned up a bit) Here is the only picture of the turbo I have.

treysoucie

Yeah the "C" turbo on my last truck was awesome. I'm having the guy cross reference my turbo to the truck next to it and see if in fact there are differences. Hopefully he is just hearing two different turbos. Against my better judgement I'm just going to hope for the best and make the drive. If she does give me trouble on the way home I will have a friend with a 32ft drag her the rest of the way.

treysoucie

The guy says the turbos look different. He says the trucks sound identical untill you give it some throttle and mine is noticeably louder (whining) noise. Hopefully it's just a whistle he's hearing. Does anyone here have experience with both "d" and "c" turbos? Would it be obvious on start up which was which? Also both trucks are '87 models

here is another picture of mine.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/...BCC3324-1721-000002A472F41FAE_zps301e6b0f.jpg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That batch of trucks were 1987 M35A2C with D turbo. They were all from Tinker AFB and identical trucks.

Source: Scoped em out in person, won 3 in that batch.

..but to answer your original question I'd suggest rebuild it to make sure it's done right.

Last edited:

treysoucie

Not sure which batch you are referring to? I'm recovering from hooks. Mine came with the drop side bed. I sent some photos of the two turbos to the guy and he clarified that mine was in fact a "C" turbo and the other was a "D" if you check out the photos I posted you can see that it is a "C" I'm fairly confident that he is just hearing the difference in the turbos but I will asses it when I get there.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure which batch you are referring to? I'm recovering from hooks. Mine came with the drop side bed. I sent some photos of the two turbos to the guy and he clarified that mine was in fact a "C" turbo and the other was a "D" if you check out the photos I posted you can see that it is a "C" I'm fairly confident that he is just hearing the difference in the turbos but I will asses it when I get there.
Yes, the batch of M35A2C (dropside model) that were recently auctioned off at hooks.

treysoucie

Maybe you missed the one I bought.

Looks like a "C" turbo. Are you saying that you put eyes on all of the engine bays and they all had "D" turbos?

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a possibility that I missed a few. Some trucks were still parked in the DRMO lot despite being up for auction, one of mine was. Glad you got a screamer lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks