• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition Lock Cylinder/Hot wire/Push-button start?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off--you're my keyless ignition hero. Next, where did you get the goods to do it? I was going to use a momentary rocker with a flip-up cover with a label that says "ARM" and a push-button for the starter that says "FIRE"--kind of going on a weapon theme...BUT, I love staying with the military theme. I had even thought about putting one of the M-Series push button switches in for the lights too. I drove a 5 ton and HEMTT for many years and always like those switches...

View attachment 705941
Switches came from a member here..

Relays came from Amazon.

Luckily, the system is super simple...

You need to worry about 3 things...

Starter, Hot on Run, and Hot on Accy.

Constant 12V+RedIgnition Switch Harness
StarterPurpleIgnition Switch Harness
IgnitionPinkIgnition Switch Harness
AccessoryOrangeIgnition Switch Harness

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the entire switch... pic-7123561710607651548-1600x1200.png...

Then used a voltmeter to check outputs at each position.

I did have to remove the steering wheel to remove the locking pawl.....

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn’t it be so much easier to just put it back like it left the factory?
There’s your military theme. Like it was.

Your truck of course, but the more you hack into wiring, the more problems you will have later.
Plus no one will be able to help since it’s a Frankenstein of sorts.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh forgot.
The push button light switch is known for catching on fire.
Search threads about it.
A Known issue

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh forgot.
The push button light switch is known for catching on fire.
Search threads about it.
A Known issue
Had a guy I know whose light switch went out on him....

Seems everyone has problem with those electronic switches...

I'm thinking they were only designed to run with LEDs and people are running them with incandescent bulbs.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn’t it be so much easier to just put it back like it left the factory?
There’s your military theme. Like it was.
Personal preference, really.
Your truck of course,
Plus no one will be able to help since it’s a Frankenstein of sorts.
If you can wire something simple like I did, it shouldn't be a problem.

but the more you hack into wiring, the more problems you will have later.
This I will disagree with 147%... Modifying isn't 'hacking into'.... Yes, there are idiots, but then there are people who design their modifications, and do so with reliability in mind.

My modifications are more reliable. Less moving parts, easier to bypass or replace parts should something fail, etc. I guarantee you that my wiring is better than the factory wiring, at this point. Water sealed heat shrink connectors, gas/oil resistant wire, split loom, etc.

PeeWeeQ

"Wouldn’t it be so much easier to just put it back like it left the factory? There’s your military theme. Like it was."
Yes, for sure, but, I like to make things my own. That's just me. I understand and respect the purists and I like to keep everything "sort of" original, but, not quite. On the "Frankenstein" note, I document everything in detail in a binder that I keep with maintenance records, receipts, and every dumb little thing I do to it.

Anyone owning the vehicle after m (IF I were to ever get rid of it) won't have a problem figuring out what I've done, how I did it, and how it works...[thumbzup]

n8roro

Post what you end up doing if you go for it PeeWeeQ. Thanks for showing your work Techno Weenie.

PeeWeeQ

"Post what you end up doing if you go for it PeeWeeQ. Thanks for showing your work Techno Weenie."
I really, REALLY want to right now, but, I've been spending too much time on the beast lately, according to "the boss", if you catch my drift. I'll let it cool for a week or two and go back at it. Now that I have a good blue print for it, it's a definite possibility, and, like I said, I'd really like to do it.

I also have a few winter projects coming up, like, renewing an new dash with fiberglass using and old dash as a frame/template and building a new center console/storage piece. I'm also hoping to add some gauges and a tach. We'll see...But, rest assured, I will take pics and chronicle what I do here....

Avngr86

What do you need to know exactly?

Sorry for the ressurection here.
Thanks for the info you put up, your youtube vid is set to private so i couldn't see it.
If i read your schematic right, would pulling a 12v (red) and pink from the ignition switch to a rocker switch work to replace the key - on position?
I would have have a momentary for the purp/wht to in cab starter relay, and momentary for the GP blue for the control card.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the ressurection here.
Thanks for the info you put up, your youtube vid is set to private so i couldn't see it.
If i read your schematic right, would pulling a 12v (red) and pink from the ignition switch to a rocker switch work to replace the key - on position?
I would have have a momentary for the purp/wht to in cab starter relay, and momentary for the GP blue for the control card.
I don't remember the exact situation, but I basically duplicated the ignition switch, with 3 high current relays. 2 for ignition and 1 for accessory... with the already replaced relay for starter....and just had them actuated by 2 switches.. Top for run/start, bottom for accy.

I edited the security so it should show now, not private...

Last edited:

Avngr86

I don't remember the exact situation, but I basically duplicated the ignition switch, with 3 high current relays. 2 for ignition and 1 for accessory... with the already replaced relay for starter....and just had them actuated by 2 switches.. Top for run/start, bottom for accy.

Thank you much!

Avngr86

Thats genius with the GP momentary led from the solenoid

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks