• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IL DMV tells me M35A3 OFF ROAD USE ONLY

flyxpl

I go to get the AZ tittle from GL transferred into my name today . The guy at the desk noticed a "problem" the serial number has fewer digits then it should . I guess newer vehicles are required to have a 17 digit # the A3 has 6 digits . He went and talked to his superviser about it . Eventullay he was told to issue a tittle for " off road use only " the State of IL does not licsense those trucks . I was just in thier getting my A2's plated and had no problems , but because the A2's are older the short serial # did not throw a red flag . Anyone here in IL put plates on an A3 ? I did not let them issue me the offroad tittle , I said just forget it and moved on to getting a title for a goosneck trailer I bought yesterday . Why give them $ 95 for a tittle to a vehicle they will not let me put plates on . I was told by the guy at the desk to try a different facility .

Last edited:

cornrichard

I have titled my 915a1 trucks with no problem. They do have a 16 digit number but are older than your a3. Make sure there is not a prefix # on your data plate that will give you your extra numbers. My trucks were built in 83

flyxpl

I have titled my 915a1 trucks with no problem. They do have a 16 digit number but are older than your a3. Make sure there is not a prefix # on your data plate that will give you your extra numbers. My trucks were built in 83
I think the reason you did not run into the problem with the serial # is the guy told me it does apply to vehicles before 1985 .
All the A3'S serial #'s start at 500001 and go to 505500 range . Mine is 1840 of 5500 trucks . No prefix . I told the guy to just add some 0's before the serial # to give it the proper amount of digits . He said the computer would not go for that . What I don't understand is they were going to issue me a title ,but for off road use only . I am unsure if the reason for the offraod use was soley the serial # or if thier was another reason . I did not want to press the issue until I had tried a different location .

Last edited:

ida34

1982 was the first year of the 17 digit vin. It standardized some aspects of a VIN making it more than just a serial number. Different manufacturers have different prefixes and other data is encoded in a vin. There is also a check digit that helps weed out counterfeit vins. I thing your clerk was wrong and would take pictures and specs up the chain to the supervisors. Emphasize the fact that the truck is a military vehicle and even newer military vehicles do not conform to the standard vin format.

jwaller

it sounds like they are confusing your am general with the hmmwv. make sure that is not what is happening. hmmwv's are only supposed to be titled for off road use only.

flyxpl

I agree , I do not blame it on the clerk , he was a nice guy and just trying to do his job and felt bad that he brought it to the attention of his supervisor . In the end it was the supervisor that made the decision . The 20 Year old blonde superviser probally could not pick out my truck if parked next to a green dump truck . I really think it had nothing to do with the serial # , if it did I believe they would not want to even give me a tittle stating for off road use only . What make me mad is I spend my lunch hour trying to get errands taken care of to get stuff done , now I will spend a fri afternoon trying again .

Gravel

What Flyingvan911 said! Heck, even had my favorite place tell me a title thing just wasn't going to happen with the way the affidavit was written, yet the next place processed it without batting an eye...

greenjeepster

Are there any Fire Departments in your state with M35A3's, and how are THEY titled?

Jot down some of the plate numbers from those A3 Fire Trucks and have them look 'em up!
I don't think fire depts have to have titled trucks. You buy a retired fire truck off of GSA or Govdeals and they come with an sf97 just like military vehicles.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard of people using the frame serial # and corresponding year to register the A3's.
The frame is an older A2 frame, and in most if not all states the frame vin wins out over a tag screwed to the dash board.

Wise move on not letting them title it as off road.

I don't think fire depts have to have titled trucks. You buy a retired fire truck off of GSA or Govdeals and they come with an sf97 just like military vehicles.
around here they are registered and must obide by DOT regs

Last edited:

flyxpl

I went to a different DMV location today . The guy whiped right though it no ??? asked . I also discovered that Although antiuqe plates can not be put on a Deuce , Antuiqe plates in IL are good for 8000 pounds and less . They do have mileage plates available that are half of what I am paying now and good for up to 8000 miles a year .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks