• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IL Newcomer w/recently acquired bobbed deuce loves the BFT, but needs TLC

CaptainJon

I'm new to posting on anything but I'm glad I found this place. I happened across this '71 AM General M35A2 by chance in an oddball urge to want a bug out vehicle, and a man that was willing trade an old car for one. I had never driven a truck this size before this, nor have I ever had anything to do with diesel or stick. I have trained myself how to drive since then and read about as much as I can. I know all the ins and outs out the truck and have a decent knowledge of mechanics, however, I am still a little nervous to perform any work on it knowing the cost of some of the parts. I have several small leaks that need to be sealed up. The main ones are the oil pan and the rear seal. The oil pan is a no brainer, but I have never had to a rear seal on anything this large. I also have a leak coming from a connection on the bottom of the injector pump. I am worried about that one even though it only drips once or twice after shutdown. Doesn't seem to leak at all when running. I am just wondering how hard is it to change the rear seal and what would be the best bet to fix the ip? Is it easy to remove the ip and do I have to remove it to change the seals? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, aside from that, I love my BFT and plan to keep it and many others to follow. These babies rock!

TheWeatherMan

Welcome to the madness, I cant remember who told me this but "If its not leaking then something is wrong." Most of the trucks I have seen "mark their territory" a bit. But if it seems like something major I would recommend fixing it. There are enough guys on here that can help out info wise and some may be able to lend a hand too.

CaptainJon

Thanks for the advice. I figured it would leak a little just due to its age alone, just want to make sure I'm not going to burn out my injector pump. The leak isn't enough to be concerned about yet.
Have one other question as well that will probably make me sound like an idiot, but what do I need to do to get this winterized aside from fuel additive? It has an ether injector system(not familiar with but simple enough), but that is it and from what I read, that should only be used on the coldest of days. What is better battery wraps or a trickle charger? I have a screw in freeze plug style heater for it, but don't know where to put it seeing that the ideal place for it is where my cab heater goes. I've never owned a diesel and I just want to make sure it starts if this winter gets as bad as I think it will.

FatBuddhaBoo

Welcome to the club!

I bought my deuce two weeks ago and brought her home today. found a few drips, I'm sure that is typical as well depending on the location (leaking fuel lines would not be typical). Can't help you on the heater issue, as I'm in sunny Florida!

Oh yeah...

nopics

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS . You should download the TM's for the deuce if you haven't already . You should read this one before operating TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
This will help you identify parts and do PM'son it GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf
You can dowmload the rest here ;
TM's for the Deuce

Search is your friend most things have been covered . When searching use the advanced search and search within the deuce fourm will give you better results . Alot of posters use title that don't help in future searchs and this makes searching hard .

As far as your rear main here are a few threads to start you in the right direction ;
Clutch slipping, can it be adjusted?
First Deuce -- Rear Main Seal
Rear main replacement clarification
Deuce Tranny, Things I've Learned
flywheel help
deuce oil leak - help!

Edit ; for the block heater read this thread ; M35a2 block heater

Last edited:

CaptainJon

Much appreciated. The links helped out a lot. I do have the manuals but sometimes looking at the manuals makes me second guess myself. Lack of confidence is my problem. Being able to double check my concerns here is the best thing for me.

ranchhopper

I bobbed a few trucks in sugar grove the company I worked for had a shop on heartland drive a few years ago. I used to do some personal work (like bobbing deuces on weekends) but they moved out of there since then. I can look at it for you if you want I have had a lot of wrench time on these old beasts.

CaptainJon

That would be awesome Ranchhopper. I'll have to PM you sometime and get your info. For the time being, I greatly appreciate all of the help and offers from all of you. Makes you realize that there is some decency left in the world.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from a new guy myself!! I'm 8 months in and find I can't get enough time to play with these trucks (5 tons). The technical manuals are a god send (everything you could possibly want to know is in there) and the folks in here are top notch.

Be careful......for I found a single truck gets lonely .....and along comes another.....like Irish twins.

mcmullag

drips

I may be wrong about this but.... I spray my truck off real good underneath to get the original old oil and grease off and try to drive it about every two weeks. Driving it seems to slow or stop some leaks. This seems to have worked for my former 71 model and now my current 87 model. I had mine sitting on an asphalt street yesterday in a staging area at a parade and there were no drips or spots on the ground when we started moving out. You may get lucky just snugging up some bolts, washing it off down there, and driving it to get those seals and gaskets 'lubed up'. Best of luck to you. :beer:

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

October 14th, 2012.

CaptainJohn:

While you are at it, remember in Illinois you are going to need to add weight increases to your driver's license, because a deuce is at 13,500 tare and 23500 gross weight. Your standard drivers license is only good for 16,000GVW and if you are stopped by any police for any reason, you will likely be hurting on the ticket (Driving out of class, I believe is what they will call it).:shock:
The rear main seal is a variation of a rope seal, and can be replaced by pulling the pan or breaking the bell housing loose (I had mine replaced in Texas twice, and it still leaked). For some reason the Multifuel tends to do that, and if it is dripping out the bell housing drain hole it is either the rear main seal or the front end of the transmission seal...:-o
At least after January you will be able to get a better rate on your plates and inspections in IL, but not as good yet as the guys down in Texas have it. Good luck, the odyssey begins....

ranchhopper

If your leaking fuel off the pump take some brake cleaner and clean the pump real good then watch the HH where the injector lines come out you probably have a loose one. You bring up the RPMs while watching and I bet you have a loose injector line I barely felt the wrench move when I tighened mine up but I never had that line leak again. It was driving me nuts tracking it down I thought the leak was coming off the bottom of the pump but it was coming from the top fuel is so thin its hard to track down.

CaptainJon

I just checked This morning and you were right ranchhopper. It is coming off the one of the top lines on my fuel injector. The bottom feed still has a little fuel on the thread but that actually had some play (1/2 turn) as well as the nut for my #1 injector. I'll tighten and see what if that helps. Of course, I just changed the oil as well and now my filters are leaking slightly. Oh well gives me a reason to purchase those screw on filter adapters. These old filter types are a pain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks