• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm 2 for 2 now on breaking deuces :(

jrou111

I had a friend come in from out of town who wanted to take his jeep out. I took my other deuce out just in case he got stuck. :-D

Unfortunately while offroading the dogbone came undone (the rubber bushing came out of the hole) and the front tandem axle shifted sideways a few inches. :shock:

Didn't notice it until I got back on pavement and it was pulling hard to the right and the tire was smoking cause it was rubbing the leaf pack.

UNFORTUNATELY the bottle jack in my tool kit was out of hydraulic fluid. :evil: My buddy in the jeep rode down the street and borrowed one from one of the locals. We got the tires off, axle chained up and headed to the house. I limped home 20-30mph.

But on the way home anytime I would let off the gas the most horrible racket would come from the rear axle. I guess the pinion angle was too much with the axle tweaked sideways. I dunno, I'll figure it out when I fix it.

So how do I fix this?

Attachments

jrou111

Done that before. Lucky for me I have spare bars. Jacked it replaced right where it was at. Check your driveshaft out. When that happens and you move it the driveshaft isn't happy at all.

If one went............check the others. Odds they are the same age. So you can guess what happens next....................
Yeah, but how do I line up the axles again? Comealong?

I did see when I was under there that the others are coming out too. :roll:

jrou111

How did you do it? Was it speed or too much twisting? I usually take it real slow off road and not heavy bouncing.

Bill
My best guess is too much twisting. I got to a spot where I couldn't go any further without the risk of getting stuck, so I had to back up like 100ft. The trail edges were about 1-2ft higher and I had to do about a 6pt turn to get turned around.

The thing is I heard alot of popping in the back of the truck, but I just thought it was the frame/bed flexing. :roll:

BEASTMASTER

i know a guy that happened to , and he put it back together and hung a piece of 3/8 x3x3 angle iron down off the 2 spring mount bolts to keep it together. it still like that. he was going to do that to the other three to keep them from coming apart too.one of these days he'll fix it right . ya right.

Brock Steel

Well after reading your story I decided to check mine out and low and behold I found one on the passenger side walking out. Its only out a 1/2 or less but I'm sure it would have come all the way sooner or later. I put in a call to my Mobil repair mechanic and he's coming Monday to replace all of them. I believe in being better safe than sorry...
Thanks for the info it saved me a lot of pain..... Brock

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that an older truck? It certainly has the older bones on it, round stock. There is a decent temp fix for this. If you can get it back together, take an old bolt or piece of round steel and weld it across the dogbone horizontally. You will weld the bolt to the steel in the center of the bushing, may have to grind some rubber off. This fix will still let the torque rod flex and twist.

Brock Steel

Yep, 1968 Jeep 67.000 miles. Not in bad shape. Got her on e bay for $3.400.;-)
Oil & fuel filter change, rear seal leak repair and away we go. I've put over 700 miles on her already no trouble. The bushings just aged out, maybe delayed maintenance. I just like to know my toys are safe and cared for. I don't let them down and they don't let me down unlike my last 2 wife's.....:!::!::!::!::p:arrow::twisted:

Brock Steel

Well this was what we found. 3 tork rods need help and the rear axle was leaking. My Mechanic has her all back together expect for 1 dog bone, parts missing in action, Next Wedsday...:-D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks