• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm an idiot!!! - Fermont MEP-802A 5kW

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let someone install new batteries and they put them on backwards. Gen will not start. PLEASE tell me there's a fuse somewhere! We are at the scene of a tornado here in Texas (Laguna Heights) trying to lend a hand.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you taken them out and put them in right?
Yes, they are in correctly now. Still no power. He said it sparked a lot when he tried to connect the last terminal. I came in corrected the cables and there is nothing.

Guyfang

Staff member
First tell me you have pushed in the CB1 circuit breaker in the control panel.

Then check the S17, emergency switch on the control panel.

Then check the S10 Dead crank switch on the left side of the set, to see if its in the right position. If you push it to crank, will the engine crank over?

After checking all that, try and start it.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First tell me you have pushed in the CB1 circuit breaker in the control panel.

Then check the S17, emergency switch on the control panel.

Then check the S10 Dead crank switch on the left side of the set, to see if its in the right position. If you push it to crank, will the engine crank over?

After checking all that, try and start it.
Pushed Cb1. S17 and S10 ....have no ides what the "right" position is. Looking for S17. My first time even looking at a Mil gen.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
S17 is the big red switch on the panel. Pull it out.

S17 is the big red switch on the panel. Pull it out.

Put the S10 in the normal position. It has CRANK, OFF and normal. First try the CRANK position, it should turn the engine over. Then put it in the normal position.
I had checked all that already, just did not know the numbers. Np panel lights or power anywhere. Is there a breaker anywhere between the start switch and batteries? Also, if there isn't did I burn something up and should I just return home or attempt to fix it here?

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a multimeter?
No...just basic tools. It ran perfectly...but I stopped for new 51R batteries and let one of my employees I brought hook up the new ones. He said it sparked, he pulled the connection off and came and got me. I switched the cables correctly and there is nothing.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fact there there is not even power to the panel light tells me there is something somewhere that's tripped or burned out. We are headed home. Thanks for you help Guyfang.

rickf

Check your ground connections at the frame and make sure they are clean and tight. They may have arced from the short and that will cause a bad connection. You say you have never looked a a military generator before, are you familiar with the series connection of the batteries to get 24 volts?

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your ground connections at the frame and make sure they are clean and tight. They may have arced from the short and that will cause a bad connection. You say you have never looked a a military generator before, are you familiar with the series connection of the batteries to get 24 volts?
Yes, familiar.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have an idea where this MT
Ground is good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks