• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Back as a Truck Owner - Recovered my M915A1

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of you know I sold my last truck a couple of years ago. It was my first truck so I was a little said to see it leave on a wrecker (no brakes).

I had been looking for a M915A1 and had basically given up any hope of finding one I could afford and that wasn't in Puerto Rico.

My wife and I made it to the rally at Windrock this year and I mentioned that I had wanted a 915 for a few years and Swiss said "I have one to sell". I looked at a few pics on his phone and said I was interested.
After we were home from the rally I talked to my wife and my Brother and they both convinced me to get. It didn't take much but I sent Swiss a deposit and started the recovery trip planning.

There is only a small handful of people I would ever trust to do a recovery with me and I chose Gimpyrobb. We have recovered another 5-ton together but it was closer and it had a marginal air pack so I let him drive it home. :)

I packed up last Thursday and met Gimpy at his jobsite and we headed south at 4:45 or so Friday morning. Waze/GPS said to go one way and Google said another.

The drive was uneventful until we headed south on State Route 74 from Interstate 40 in NC. As we were driving the GPS started saying make a u-turn. Well, I'm a guy and knew that SR74 went to Lula, GA. (It doesn't, I missed the turn for SR23 and it goes to Lula)

I continued on SR74 and got to see some of the most beautiful country anywhere in the U.S. called Nantahala National Forest. Pull off spots along the roads and dozens of guys fly fishing in the creak. Waterfalls galore. As missed turns go it was horrible except for the 40 extra miles at 20-40mph.

We finally got back on the correct road and met Swiss at his place about 2:15PM. He actually met us in the 915 and we followed him to his place. When we got there we looked the truck over and did a fluid/fuel check, tires, leaks and that the bed was bolted on and ready to go. We spent some time looking around his place and said our goodbys and head to a hotel.

We made plans to hit the road at 5AM. We started checking things at about 4:50 and I got in to start it to air up the seat and CLICK, nothing, CLICK, nothing. Gimpy asked if I have a multimeter. I have been in electronics for 53 years and the one tool I forgot. Crap!
Do you have jumper cables. Nope, but if I do they are under the back seat of the RAM. Yah! My good ones were in there. Gimpy split the batteries and charged each one about 5 minutes each. Success!! She fired off and as Gimpy put everything into the RAM I monitored the gauges since I had to use a step ladder to get in. :-(

Gimpy had driven it from Swiss' to the hotel and said it was good so I got to start off the drive with Gimpy in the chase RAM. I can tell you that although I have about 75 miles driving a 915 none of those miles were at night and certainly none of them were on strange roads in another state.

I was scared sh___ess until it started getting light out. Checking the EGT and speed was clicking the dome on and off sending Morse to aliens and Keyhole satellites. Fortunately the road north had very little traffic and I got more comfortable and was ready to hit the snake on I40 between Asheville and Knoxville.

My first fill up was cheap (in comparison to Ohio) at Truckstop 440 at exit 440 in TN. Only $290 to put in 72.5 gallons. We got back on the road pretty quick and the drive from there to Knoxville was good
and I headed to north to my next experience, Jellico Mountain. I was burning up the road now at a ripping 60mph. At that speed it felt too squirrelly to me to go faster so the other big trucks were going by me. Payback was at hand though when we hit the climb and it is not a Rocky Mountain climb but it's all we have here. :)
I went flying by all the trucks that had passed me earlier. The road is horrible with long potholes and it felt like I was in the air as much as on the road the last 30 miles in TN. The downhill side was what I had been worrying about but it was easy. I wasn't towing 20 tons of cargo.

The rest of the trip was good and Gimpy got off at his exit and I continued on to the farm in Dayton.

Google says the trip was about 505 miles. I'm guessing we got around 5mpg as we added another 32gal in KY north of Lexington.

10.5 hours road time
505 miles driven
$808 approximate expenses
Smile on my face - Priceless

Lake Natahala
Lake-Nantahala.jpg

Three Stooges
Stooges.jpg

Truck in Georgia
Georgia.jpg

Trucks side by side

Trucks.jpg

The Omen cloud the night before we left hotel. In our case it was mostly good luck. :)
Omen-Cloud.jpg

HOME SAFE!!!!
Home-Safe.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the truck, and an event free recovery (aside from navigational digressions!). [thumbzup]

I wonder if its tires that make it feel squirrely at speed? I've put about 4000 miles on a couple of 915s, both were very stable at speed, but they had stock road tires on them.
Funny, when I drove a friend's M915 towing his M146 (with all his household furnishings in it) from Austin to Phoenix, the only issue I had was the dreaded "click" trying to start it after visiting Jack at his yard in Tucson. Jack slaved it with his M816 and we were off again, but I made sure I had slave cables in the chase Tahoe before I shut it off again at the hotel. Oddly enough, it cranked right up the following morning.

So, lets see more pictures of your truck! :jumpin:

Cheers

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see your ladder set up getting in the truck. I am going to need to do something similar as that first step onto my LMTV is just not fun and i would like to drive it more. FYI only an hour north of your location always looking for fellow FMV people in the area.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a rare Home Depot special. Sorry, I never said it was a military ladder. We are going to come up with a bolt-on step for the fuel tank steps. I can get in without the ladder my old knees will thank me if I use the ladder. Thinking about I can put a chain or rope on the body handle and put the ladder in the bed and use as needed for now.
Truck-Ladder.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great and the 395s on the front are killer makes those trucks look sooo much better ! Shame you couldnt run thru GA. and have @patracy poo in it to break it it in !!!! Good luck and welcome back in the jungle !

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On one of my 915 trips, I stopped for a visit with family.
My nephew got up in the cab and checked it out, afterwards he said "You've got a lot of hood going on there".

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great and the 395s on the front are killer makes those trucks look sooo much better ! Shame you couldnt run thru GA. and have @patracy poo in it to break it it in !!!! Good luck and welcome back in the jungle !

I was in Georgia, he was welcome to come and jump in the bed, or should I say fall in. (I'd have filled it with something first.) :)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in Georgia, he was welcome to come and jump in the bed, or should I say fall in. (I'd have filled it with something first.) :)
Speaking of that i was thinking for next year rally you bring the truck with the tub still on back and some nice girls from your collage and i will bring/pay for all the green jello to put in said tub and we will have bikinis jello wrestling in that tub for the girls !!! I will referee the matches of coarse to make sure all rules are adhered to ! And search them for weapons for all concerned safety ! So the ball is in your court and if theres no girls wrestling in jello next year it will be your burden to bear !!!! Maybe a poo filled dunking booth for the poo people and YOU know who you are ! Carry On !!!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a bad ass truck! Wonder who did such a good job getting all together and running so good 😜
LOL We like to refer to the builders of the green as the ( DONORS ) the one that do all the work and spend the money so others wont have too ! And then sell them for half what you have in them ! Just an observation !

DeMilitarized

Many of you know I sold my last truck a couple of years ago. It was my first truck so I was a little said to see it leave on a wrecker (no brakes).

I had been looking for a M915A1 and had basically given up any hope of finding one I could afford and that wasn't in Puerto Rico.

My wife and I made it to the rally at Windrock this year and I mentioned that I had wanted a 915 for a few years and Swiss said "I have one to sell". I looked at a few pics on his phone and said I was interested.
After we were home from the rally I talked to my wife and my Brother and they both convinced me to get. It didn't take much but I sent Swiss a deposit and started the recovery trip planning.

There is only a small handful of people I would ever trust to do a recovery with me and I chose Gimpyrobb. We have recovered another 5-ton together but it was closer and it had a marginal air pack so I let him drive it home. :)

I packed up last Thursday and met Gimpy at his jobsite and we headed south at 4:45 or so Friday morning. Waze/GPS said to go one way and Google said another.

The drive was uneventful until we headed south on State Route 74 from Interstate 40 in NC. As we were driving the GPS started saying make a u-turn. Well, I'm a guy and knew that SR74 went to Lula, GA. (It doesn't, I missed the turn for SR23 and it goes to Lula)

I continued on SR74 and got to see some of the most beautiful country anywhere in the U.S. called Nantahala National Forest. Pull off spots along the roads and dozens of guys fly fishing in the creak. Waterfalls galore. As missed turns go it was horrible except for the 40 extra miles at 20-40mph.

We finally got back on the correct road and met Swiss at his place about 2:15PM. He actually met us in the 915 and we followed him to his place. When we got there we looked the truck over and did a fluid/fuel check, tires, leaks and that the bed was bolted on and ready to go. We spent some time looking around his place and said our goodbys and head to a hotel.

We made plans to hit the road at 5AM. We started checking things at about 4:50 and I got in to start it to air up the seat and CLICK, nothing, CLICK, nothing. Gimpy asked if I have a multimeter. I have been in electronics for 53 years and the one tool I forgot. Crap!
Do you have jumper cables. Nope, but if I do they are under the back seat of the RAM. Yah! My good ones were in there. Gimpy split the batteries and charged each one about 5 minutes each. Success!! She fired off and as Gimpy put everything into the RAM I monitored the gauges since I had to use a step ladder to get in. :-(

Gimpy had driven it from Swiss' to the hotel and said it was good so I got to start off the drive with Gimpy in the chase RAM. I can tell you that although I have about 75 miles driving a 915 none of those miles were at night and certainly none of them were on strange roads in another state.

I was scared sh___ess until it started getting light out. Checking the EGT and speed was clicking the dome on and off sending Morse to aliens and Keyhole satellites. Fortunately the road north had very little traffic and I got more comfortable and was ready to hit the snake on I40 between Asheville and Knoxville.

My first fill up was cheap (in comparison to Ohio) at Truckstop 440 at exit 440 in TN. Only $290 to put in 72.5 gallons. We got back on the road pretty quick and the drive from there to Knoxville was good
and I headed to north to my next experience, Jellico Mountain. I was burning up the road now at a ripping 60mph. At that speed it felt too squirrelly to me to go faster so the other big trucks were going by me. Payback was at hand though when we hit the climb and it is not a Rocky Mountain climb but it's all we have here. :)
I went flying by all the trucks that had passed me earlier. The road is horrible with long potholes and it felt like I was in the air as much as on the road the last 30 miles in TN. The downhill side was what I had been worrying about but it was easy. I wasn't towing 20 tons of cargo.

The rest of the trip was good and Gimpy got off at his exit and I continued on to the farm in Dayton.

Google says the trip was about 505 miles. I'm guessing we got around 5mpg as we added another 32gal in KY north of Lexington.

10.5 hours road time
505 miles driven
$808 approximate expenses
Smile on my face - Priceless

Lake Natahala
View attachment 908844

Three Stooges
View attachment 908845

Truck in Georgia
View attachment 908846

Trucks side by side

View attachment 908847

The Omen cloud the night before we left hotel. In our case it was mostly good luck. :)
View attachment 908848

HOME SAFE!!!!
View attachment 908849
Looks familiar......

DeMilitarized

LOL We like to refer to the builders of the green as the ( DONORS ) the one that do all the work and spend the money so others wont have too ! And then sell them for half what you have in them ! Just an observation !
That does not apply to Swiss' and I collection. We always make money but margins can be lowered for friends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks