• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Back!! With a new M1009

I sold my M1008 a few years ago due to its impracticality as a daily driver/highway cruiser...but I have come down with the OD Disease again...I found a great deal on a 1985 Blazer M1009. It's got 26k mi. on it. It was owned by a guy who used to buy and fix up a lot of CUCV's and other OD machines (including a continental radial engine out of a Sherman tank he's fixing). He put a lot of new stuff in the truck. Including a new IP, 4 core radiator, lockout hubs, tinted civi windshield and new dashpad. He replaced a front fender and it was painted CARC Green a few years ago.

It was a Comm. truck from Texas and has spent the last several years in a heated, de-humidified garage, hardly driven at all. He said he bought it from GL several years ago with the 36" Humvee tires and Kelsey Hayes wheels on it, and was converted by the military, and after the service it was a Georgia Forestry Dept. truck, who didn't use it because of the bad IP. He included a crap load of spare parts, antennas, all the service manuals for the truck, and several of the of the radios/bracketry, and a heavy duty tow bar that attaches to the clevis brackets (so if anyone is looking for comm. equipment or wants a tow bar PM me).

However it needed glow plugs and batteries. And my worst fears materialized when I went to swap out the GP's... All but one of them are swollen and stuck in the head. I've tried pulling them with a vise-grips to no avail. I'm gonna get a removal tool. However, the nice JJ&A racing ones are sold out for another couple weeks. I think I'm gonna get an OTC set, unless anyone on here has a remover they wanna get rid of.

Anyways here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildmax

Man that is a really nice 09. I hope to have mine looking that good by next spring. I wish I was closer to you. I would like to have some of that radio eqpt. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!:beer:

So I found the OTC glow plug remover on fleabay for less than half the price of most on amazon. That should be here by next week Wed.-Fri.

However, in case the tip does break off while using the GP remover, I heard having the piston at TDC will not let the piece(s) fall down into the cylinder. I read the 1-3-5-7 cyls. are on the driver side. 2-4-6-8 cyls. are on the passenger side, and the firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

Three questions:?: :
One- Is the TDC/easier broken GP removal thing true?
Two- Is the firing order and cyl #'s true?
Three- When Cyl. #1 is at TDC what other piston(s) is/are at TDC also? And so on...

The whole reason for getting the tool is because I didn't want to pull out 7 injectors and stuff paper towel in the pre-chamber and just break the tip off and grab it out.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice...

That is a sweet 09 and neat it has so much commo gear in it.

I'm crossing your tracks now in that I have two M1009s and looking to buy a M1008...:D

K9Vic

However, the nice JJ&A racing ones are sold out for another couple weeks. I think I'm gonna get an OTC set, unless anyone on here has a remover they wanna get rid of.
I guess they sold out of them after a post here last week on swollen GPs and I posted a link to JJ&A web page. That is a great tool and I have one GP I need to remove from a M1009 that is swollen. The tool is well worth the money even if you own a CUCV, especially if you own many. I do not know how a OTC set works, but from what I have see in the pictures it seems complex compared to the JJ&A tool. I would try to get the JJ&A tool, but if you have to get it done you have to do what you need to do.

If you have your resistor bock bypassed to run just 12volts only, you should be OK for a few weeks running 7 GPs. But I would NOT do this if you have the original 24v resistor as you will have too much voltage with only 7 GPs. However you being in Milwaukee, WI you may need all 8 to fire that 6.2L in the cold. I bypass the resistor block on all my CUCV trucks so my investment of GPs is not lost if one goes bad and that starts the process of the rest going bad with the 24v resistor system.

As for your M1009 it looks great and very clean looking. The radio gear is really nice looking setup. You should take that over to Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee and add some more HAM equipment.

^^
Yeah, that was the JJ&R tool that they are sold out of

if it falls in pull the injector and use a magnet to pull it out!!!!!
The tips aren't magnetic.

How big is the passage from the pre-comb. chamber to the cylinder? Big enough for the tip to go through?

If you have your resistor bock bypassed to run just 12volts only, you should be OK for a few weeks running 7 GPs. But I would NOT do this if you have the original 24v resistor as you will have too much voltage with only 7 GPs. However you being in Milwaukee, WI you may need all 8 to fire that 6.2L in the cold. I bypass the resistor block on all my CUCV trucks so my investment of GPs is not lost if one goes bad and that starts the process of the rest going bad with the 24v resistor system.
The other 7 GP's are shot (bad on the Ohm test).
I definitely plan on bypassing the resistor though. And I got AC 60G's. Hopefully both will greatly reduce the risk of having to do this bulls@*% again. I also have the supplies to do the doghead starter relay fix, and to change the old black GP relay on the firewall to the GPR109 relay (it still works, but just for insurance). I also want to bypass the glow plug controller...even though the previous owner gave me 2-4 GP computer/controller card things.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess they sold out of them after a post here last week on swollen GPs and I posted a link to JJ&A web page. That is a great tool and I have one GP I need to remove from a M1009 that is swollen. The tool is well worth the money even if you own a CUCV, especially if you own many. I do not know how a OTC set works, but from what I have see in the pictures it seems complex compared to the JJ&A tool. I would try to get the JJ&A tool, but if you have to get it done you have to do what you need to do.

As for your M1009 it looks great and very clean looking. The radio gear is really nice looking setup. You should take that over to Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee and add some more HAM equipment.
My CUCV mechanic buddy told me the same thing - bypass the 24v to 12v step-down resistor and run straight 12v to the glo-plug solenoid...

For a point of reference, I just changed the glo-plugs in my 1986 M1009 and 6 of 8 of them were burned out with one tip slightly swollen (it came out without too much effort). I had to "dance" on the gas pedal to get it started and it took a couple of starting cycles to fire up and stay running, so I knew I had a few burned out. Just was shocked that 6 were burned out and that my 09 would start on only 2 glo-plugs... (TN weather with temps in the 40s)...

The previous set were put in Feb 07 and had 2K miles on them and still looked new on the outside...

Finally, Mike's tip of the day: put anti-seize on the glo-plug threads when installing them - make removal so much easier...

Thank you islandguy. You have a great looking 1008 yourself.
I am impatient and wish that glow plug remover were here right now, so I could work on the beast. However, I'll be pretty busy the next 4 days so that will make the time go by quickly, and in my spare time I plan on doing the Doghead mod and installing the new GP relay. So hopefully it will be running by next weekend! :beer:

Side Note: The tow bar is spoken for.

Got all the plugs out finally!!! I bought the OTC glow plug remover tool two weeks ago. What a huge P.O.S. aua **** thing broke at the hinge on the first plug... following directions and everything...
I was still able to use it to get 3 of the 7 plugs out, but it took around 45 minutes to get each out. That involved going under the truck to find one or both halves of the split-nut at least 5 times per plug, lots of swears said, and a lot of "S.O.B!!! tools" thrown. :shock:
Finally my "luck" ran out and stripped the threads of both the split nut and the glow plug (lots more swears, and the pissed of chugging of a beer).

I bought the GP removal tool from PMD Diesel (very similar to the JJ&A Racing tool but about $20 less). What a fantastic tool!! I got the remaining 4 plugs out in about 30 minutes (the rear driver side plug being the biggest P.I.T.A.). I put in the AC 60G's and crimped on some new female spade connectors.

While I was waiting for the PMD tool to get delivered I bypassed the glow plug resistor and did the 12 volt swap.

Today I had to rig up different top battery mounts for the Group 65 Kirkland batteries I got (it involved some threaded rod and two pieces of flat-stock).

It was about 34°F today, and after hooking up the batteries went to start up the truck. Started on the second try (had to cycle the glow plugs a second time). It started and ran great, given the fact that it has old, probably summer blend, fuel.

It needs a few little things here and there. The volt meter works sporadically, but I think the P.O. gave me one or two in a big box of extra parts. The P.O. put in a tilt steering wheel and there's no gear selector indicator, and it doesn't feel like the lever is aligned correctly. Idk if it's not there completely (out of a stick shift truck) or just fallen back into the dash or what. I guess I have to do some searching around in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks