• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Back!! With a new M1009

It rides like cold sacks of potatoes ;-)

Nah it's not that terrible for a short wheelbase 3/4 tone truck. And the tires are cold and have sat for a while, so I'm sure they've squared out a little bit.

Thank you all. The Humvee tires do look really cool on there. 8) These are the older Goodyear 36" bias ply Humvee tires. I'd imagine radials would ride a lot nicer on there.

I'm not sure about the lift. The military put the tires on it. I'd imagine there is a lift of some kind. The springs look brand new.

Last edited:
Did some searching and the leaf springs are from Superlift. The specifics of these I couldn't tell you. I would assume it's a 3-4" lift.

I also took the 1009 for a drive today. The tires are really "lumpy" feeling.

There's a little leak, I think from the front of the T-case (the P.O. rebuilt it recently).

And there's what appears to be a small coolant leak on the front of the engine. Either from the water pump or the lower hose at the water pump. It should get a coolant flush too, because whatever is leaking doesn't really smell like much of anything at all. But it feels like coolant.

I really need to figure out the shifter issue. It's not lined up right (everything is 1 up from where it should be. There's no real "park" detent spot, just all the way up, and kind pulled back (towards the driver). The first detent is reverse. Neutral seems to be where Drive should be. Then Drive, then 2nd is all the way at the bottom. No 1st.
The P.O. put in a tilt column. And I'm sure it needs to be adjusted.

The odometer doesn't work either. The P.O. said he put in a new speedo, so maybe missed something when he put it in.

I am also a little low on tranny fluid (just the tip of the dipstick), but it is clean pink. That might explain the little lag I felt once or twice and sloppy shifting. Plus I think the tranny just needs to be driven more. The P.O. drained and changed the tranny filter, gasket and pan.

This truck has hardly been driven over the last several years.

Last edited: