• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm bored, how about a re-power?!?

TheBuggyman

I need something to do and I've been thinking.......

I want to repower my 813 with a more powerful Cummins engine, a NTC400 perhaps.
The tranny could remain as the truck would have plenty of juice to make up for the lack of gear selections.

New tires, new paint, new parts, a level wind winch and some other cool upgrades (no chrome!) to build a fun to drive, "peppy" reliable big truck.

So let me ask- does anyone have a nice NTC400 or such? I may be looking to (partial) trade my M818 and M127 trailer for some items of interest so fire away and let me know what you have!

rizzo

RE: I

I was thinking of this, but thought that a commercial trans would be good. I was guessing that the range of gears would make up for the lack of power in towing situations.

TheBuggyman

I would be open to a different transmission (especially an automatic) but with my dump conversion there is not much space left between my hoist and the rear of the transfer case now......

I wish more folks would chime in on available options, problems, transmission lengths and compatibility, this is an information gathering exercise!

Is a NTC400 a direct bolt in for the NHC250 as far as bellhousing and clutch? I realize there will be hood issues and exhaust re-routing but those are little problems. I would like to keep the engine a mechanical style but would be open to an electronic package as long as everything was included.

Doesn't anyone need a M818????

TheBuggyman

98hd said:
What about an 8.3? You could add a tst kit for an extra 150hp and 300ft/lbs tq
I could work with that. I've got my 24V Cummins turned up with a Banks Powerpack, 100HP injectors and an S300G turbo and it makes gobs of power! I've thought of a 5.9 inthe M813 also, but I still want that "big truck" sound and look when I raise the hood.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buggyman, how much you want for your M818? can you post a pic or two of it?

TheBuggyman

Buggyman, how much you want for your M818? can you post a pic or two of it?
I want $6500 for the truck and trailer, both are titled in the state of Virginia. The truck has under 8K miles, michelin XL's (11.00-20), new batteries, Centramatic wheel balancers in the rear, new custom mudflaps, shifts very smoothly and has very few leaks. It has a hardtop that needs some work and both windows are brand new with new wiper conversions from Saturn Surplus. (just the wiper blades/arms) The trailer deck is toast but the chassis is in great shape and I'll stack an untitled bolster trailer to it if a SS member buys it. (no sf-97 with that). The truck has been serviced in the last 100 miles with filter changes except the intake air filter. Check this thread out for some pics:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=18599&highlight=m818+flaps+batts

If you are interested I'll get on my laptop and dig up some more, I'm at work right now.

TheBuggyman

what about a detroit? 8v71T would be pretty sick in my opinion.
I want to try and stay away from Detroits if I can, I have a pond and don't want any oil in it! LOL!

I am considering a 3406E right now thata fella has with all the wiring and ECM, 475HP!

Still don't know what to do with the tranny................

Alex400

I want to try and stay away from Detroits if I can, I have a pond and don't want any oil in it! LOL!

I am considering a 3406E right now thata fella has with all the wiring and ECM, 475HP!

Still don't know what to do with the tranny................
LOL very true. 3406E are great motors, have heard good things about them. NTC 400 cummins would be a good motor, wouldn't have any problem finding parts for them.

For the transmission, you could try and find a truck that is being parted out for what ever reason and take the engine and trans from it. THere have been a few around here where the truck got t boned and screwed up the rear end. They cut off the rears and were parting out the rest of the truck. A 5 ton cargo truck with 475 horse and a 13 or a 15 speed truck trans would be awesome.

TheBuggyman

LOL very true. 3406E are great motors, have heard good things about them. NTC 400 cummins would be a good motor, wouldn't have any problem finding parts for them.

For the transmission, you could try and find a truck that is being parted out for what ever reason and take the engine and trans from it. THere have been a few around here where the truck got t boned and screwed up the rear end. They cut off the rears and were parting out the rest of the truck. A 5 ton cargo truck with 475 horse and a 13 or a 15 speed truck trans would be awesome.
Yes, it would be a beautiful thing!:wink:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about a 525 HP/1200 lb-ft V903 out of a Bradley? :twisted: I don't know where you'd find one, but the V903 has been used for years in other applications.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, its a V8. It would probably be a little tight on the frame. Might be better off with a big 6. Congrats on the baby! When is he/she due Eddie?

TheBuggyman

March 22nd is the big day and the Missus doesn't want to know what we're having until that day. She wants it to be a surprise and I like a plan so you can see we have a definite conflict of interest here.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks