• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm confused about 12v/24v?

dc9137

I apologize for the dumb question, but I'm confused about something. Is the 12v glow plug bypass the same as converting to 12v? Everything I've read said to keep the 24v system, but then it seems like everybody also says the 12v bypass is the way to go too. Are these the same thing or am I confusing the situation?

ARYankee

You are somewhat confused. When folks are talking about converting to 12 volt, they are talking about everything. You need to realize that the only thing 24 volt is the starter. Now the glow plugs feed off the 24 volt system through the resistor bank on the firewall which drops the voltage down to 12 volt. All you are doing is bypassing those resistors and using 12 volts from the battery. It is a good mod because those resistors go out and it will cause a cascading effect damaging your glow plugs.

ARYankee

I have a list of threads that I looked at when I got my M1009. Let me see if I can find it and PM it to you. They are useful and answer a lot of questions.

MarcusOReallyus

Nope, they are two different things. When folks are talking about converting to 12v, they are talking about the starter. It gets 24v.

The glow plugs already run on 12v. The system feeds 24v into a resistor, which drops the voltage to 12v, which feeds the glow plugs. The bypass just gets the resistor out of the picture.

Clear as mud? :mrgreen:

ARYankee

I can't find my list.... But read through the stickies in the CUCV forum along with the Wiki. That should help you out some more. And of course the whole read the TMs and use the search function applies :)

dc9137

I can't find my list.... But read through the stickies in the CUCV forum along with the Wiki. That should help you out some more. And of course the whole read the TMs and use the search function applies :)
Thanks! Ill have to check my PM's I think you may have sent me that list when I first joined and I completely forgot about it.

I've been reading like crazy but this confused me a bit. I've definitely got the most to learn on the electrical side!

Last edited:

ARYankee

Thanks! Ill have to check my PM's I think you may have sent me that list when I first joined and I completely forgot about it.

I've been reading like crazy but this confused me a bit. I've definitely got theist to learn on the electrical side!
I thought that I had sent you one but I've slept since then :) If you need anything else let me know.

sandcobra164

I'll try to clear the mud as I understand it. The truck has a 24V starter on it. This is handy when you need a jump start through the NATO Slave port on the front. The Glow Plugs are 12V but wired stock they feed through a resistor bank located on the firewall behind the air filter housing. Alot of people wire the glowplugs to bypass the resistor bank and pull exclusively off of the front battery. Since each battery has it's own alternator, it balances out. The rest of the truck is 12V and I can attest to that. Put an M105 behind it that has 24V bulbs in it. Notice how dim you're bulbs are. Put the same trailer behind a Deuce, trailer lights are bright again. Even the lighting and trailer wiring is 12V and in my case, I have a 12V CD player installed pulling power straight from the fuse block. The only thing 24V left on my truck is the slave receptacle and the starter. My thinking being, if it's real cold out and the truck is dead, I'll let the front battery try and charge and then start it with glow plugs or I'll do as I did when the glow plugs were dead. Crank Crank Crank till it start's clacking and trying to catch and put some throttle to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks