• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Im considering this, but if i do, will i be ridiculed and ostracized from rallys :^)

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a '54 M37, i want to actually use it some. I really dont want to risk tearing up the bed or having to even worry about it.

In other trucks and 4x4's i've put bedliner in the beds (and often the cabs too, but not for this). If i put bed liner in the bed like line-x or rhino (actually i get some stuff from eastwood) am i gonna get grief (fun loving ridicule?, forced to camp on the outer perimeter at rally's, wear a dunce cap and haul the "convoy ahead, idiot at wheel" sign on convoys?) :^) :^)

I've restored lots of other cars, and some vehicles have a more "purist" following than others. Of course i'll do whatever i want, but trying to get a sense of the community on this stuff...

(really, who wants to be the guy with 56'' super swampers, video screens and a purple truck at the meets?)

thanks

Chris.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...I'll say this...several of my smaller vehicles have the brush/roll on bedliner...painted over the appropriate color of course.
To date...no one has even noticed...and the paint seems to last better in the tubs/beds etc!!!

I say go for it....

KsM715

Go for it. There are a few purist's (sp?)here but even they have the "its your truck, do what you want with it" attitude.

Oldfart

Chris,
The military modified and made improvements to their vehicles both in mass and one off. The question of how will others in the hobby respond to a less than original (what ever that is) vehicle will depend on the individuals involved. The M37 has seen long service with the military. It was manufactured from about 1951 through 1968 if my memory serves me correctly. In addition to production variations on USA units, the Canadian units had differences from the stateside M37's. ~~ I just bought a 1955 Jimmy deuce from government surplus that saw 55 years with the U.S. Army. Numerous things have been done to this truck by the Army that are definitely not "factory" including things like undercoating and RV style air conditioners. In addition, it was painted white sometime prior to 1962 and has remained that color ever since. ~~ I bet some military M37's have had rhino lining coating their beds on some base or post somewhere in active military service. I know a guy who drove PBR in Nam that got tight with a motor pool mechanic there. They build an M37 with a big Dodge V8 and used that to make faster trips around their base. The bell housing did not mate up, so they just welded the engine to the existing assembly. I think that would be as good a display truck as any other. ~~ In short, its your truck do what you want with it.

Kevin C

You're not keeping the truck 100% original, but think about it, you're helping to PRESERVE original parts, so that you can actually use it for what it was inteded for, while not tearing up a classic vehicle.

If any purist has a problem with that, they shouldn't be involved in the hobby. Now, I don't have any experience with MV's yet, but being a member in a world of Camaro and Firebird purists, I know the criticism you seem worried about facing. It's your vehicle, and as long as you're not purposely destroying it, or modding it in an irreverisble way, cool, go for it.

M35A2's certainly aren't as collectible, but yet, look what's going on. Tons of people are hacking up their frames in order to shorten or extend, bobbing them, fabricating custom crew cabs, swapping in Cummins 5.9's, I think it's really neat. Before joining this site, I honestly did not expect some of you guys to be so heavily into the customization, it's just awesome that one can take even a 5,000+ pound retired military truck, and customize it to your liking.

Sorry to rant, but I just see way too many people that are hesitant to express their interests/likings, or even do useful, practical modifications, for fear of backlash from the purists. There's absolutely no sense in riding around in your vehicle, unhappy because you did not choose to do a certain modification that YOU liked, for fear of someone ELSE not liking it.

Go for it! :cool:

dc3coyote

I agree with whats said, The reason it was not put on it in the 50s is becuase it was not invented yet. Putting in a bedliner is a responsible thing to do. Like its allready been said You would be protecting the orginal material and keeping it usable.
I say go for it. And take some pics because I plan to do that with my 1953 R2.

nattieleather

Just tell anyone who asks that it's a MWO and walk away letting them scratch their head... :lol:

Just do it.....then we can look at you at ralleys and snicker behind your back.... :lol: Just kidding. No worries it's all good!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Deuce that I have restored back to its 1971 image as closely as I could manage including the cargo cover, winch on down to the NOS weaterstripping, I have also thought about Rhinolining the bed, to me this is just a BETTER more EFFECTIVE way of preserving and awesome vehicle, am I a purist? I dont think so, with that said Go for it, I dont use old styles grease and oils in my truck either, at some point my bed will be coated with something good also! Good luck and I respect a move like this!
Karl

Chief_919

One alternative if you just haul stuff in the bed now and then is to use a canvas tarp in the bed as a field expedient bedliner. A right size tarp will go in just like a bedliner and they are very durable- and when you are finished just pull it out.

zout

Personally I can see the passion to keep it all original - not even considering the purists.

If you were taking it to specific "shows" as original that is one thing.

If it is for all around use - I would nto hesitate to bed line coat and then just paint over it.

its your truck - its your $ involved and I would not concern myself with negative input.
Go for it - you will probably wonder why you did not do it sooner - I bet the military wish they had that stuff years ago as well - would have been spec'd with it.
:driver:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all, I'm planning to come to kennesaw, look for a univ of Alabama branded motor home pulling a dirty yellow m37.

Chris

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replied to this message when it was first posted, WELL I recieved my Deuce back yesterday after the interior of the cab was Rhino Lined in Govt Green. The floors are all done and it goes up the back of the cab to where the cat top fits to the chassis, It looks awesome and even with the passenger seat out of the truck I can already notice a reduction in cab noise on the highway! I like it very much, is it original NO but still a much better way to preserve all the we have worked for ont hese vehicles!
KK

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the NO pics, I have been here long enough to know better! Next week i will be posting ALL the pics of the entire restoration on the truck and I will make sure to have plenty of the interior flooring, it turned out really nice! SO please be patient and I should have them up by next Wed.!!

Karl

Nick

If i may, with my 2cents, dont use the "do it yourself" roll on bedliners. I used the Hurculiner from J C Whitney on the under side of my M101 bed, and in the bed of it. Underside is doing ok, cuz it doesnt get "used" . The bed however, shows that this stuff isn't very durable. I have slid a few of my Power Wagon parts in the bed, and it scratches right up. Slid a rim and tire across it, pelled pieces off.

And I did it all just as they said to, primed it, cleaned it, everything. I mean it'll work, cuz it can be touched up and "patched". And Im thinkin of puttin a piece of flat rubber bed liner speciallly cut to fit the bed of it.

The option was Rhino lining or Line X. They wanted 2000 to do the bed and underside.
My albums show some good pics of the bed.

Nick

ICSmoke

Use alsliner.com It is tintable and still a great product (right up there with rhino)! I plan on tinting mine with OD green when I spray the bed so it wont be so obvious.

the gallon kit runs around $100 plus the gun $75. I have sprayed the insides of my aluminum truck boxes and it works great! I will be doing the rockers in black on my 06 this winter.

.02 goodluck!
Ian

photos:
http://alsliner.com/image_gallery.php#

Last edited: