• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm gonna pick up a Deuce on Tuesday!

Gonna go put a deposit on a Deuce I recently looked at today, and then go pick it up on Tuesday. I can't wait :jumpin:. Its about 35 miles away (takes about an hour mostly because of traffic)

I have a few questions - here goes:

1. The owner had some gasoline in the tank - not sure if it was a gas/oil or gas/diesel mix. Since I don't want to attempt to maneuver through a smaller gas station on my first try, I was going to take some diesel fuel with me in some cans. Would it be OK to put diesel fuel in the tank if there was already a gas/oil mix in there?

2. Lets say I have a flat on the way home. I know there are some dangers when working with these, especially when changing the actual tire off the rim. Does this danger of rim pieces turning into projectiles exist when removing the flat tire/wheel and putting on the spare?

3. The upper radiator hose that is above what I think is the alternator (or is it a generator on these trucks) on the right side is leaking and I would like to take a piece with me and some hose clamps just in case. Can anyone tell me what size radiator hose I need to get?

Thanks for the advice and any other tips you may have. Can't wait to get her home.

Heavysteven

1. Yes you can mix the fuels . However, I would drain the gas oil mix out. Gasoline is a last resort fuel and I would never put it in my tank. Others may have a different opition. I would at least fill it up with diesel and drain from the filters.

2. If you get a flat just change out with the spare. FYI I had to use an impact gun to change out a flat. Then I paid to have the tube replaced.

3. Do a search that hose number is on here. Think in the partscross reference.

Where are the photo's? Joking

Last edited:

Carl_in_NH

1: Adding diesel should not be an issue - and is the fuel you should be running; gasoline should only be used when there's no alternative.

2: A rim with a flat tire that contains no air pressure is safe to handle.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting your "first" deuce.

Be sure to bring the right tools etc for your trip. There are several great threads on what to bring with you for your recovery.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Your in my area, if you want I can meet up with you and help you out.

I only want to add, a flat tire is fine like Heavy and Carl said , just dont go taking the tire off the rim -period- flat or not unless you really know how to change a split ring tire. Yeah , they are deadly as ****.

Goodluck and let me know if you need help - Jay

Thanks for all the advice, that helps a ton. So I will fill it up with diesel and bring it home, and after I've gone through that tank I will dry to get every last drop out and change the filters and run diesel only from here on out.

Here are some pictures of the truck. It is in really nice shape from what I can tell. It has an air ride seat, air powered wipers (not sure if those were standard), air shift t-case, a nice wooden deck in the bed, good tires, whistler turbo :)D:D) and I think it has some kind of a block heater as well. The previous previous owner put a tiny solar panel on the hood to keep the batteries maintained as well.

Here are some pictures I took, I will try to take a couple more today when I go to leave the deposit.

And Jay, thanks for the offer for help - its located closer to central NC and would probably be a bit of a haul for you. I will try to talk my dad into following behind me in his Dodge if he can get off work a couple hours early that day - trying to coordinate a day where I have some time off, the owner has some time off, and that I can get a ride out there has been a bit of a challenge but I think we've got it planned out now.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I would also advise checking the spring vents to make sure all the axles trans and transfercase are venting properly.

Ask me about my front axle.....not venting equals seal falure.

Truck looks good. Any interior shots

also what's up with the wood floor in the bed, that's a first.

HeadWizard

Truck looks good. That wood deck must add a lot of weight to the truck:?:

I don't ever think I've seen one with so heavy a bridge plate number...........

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks good. That wood deck must add a lot of weight to the truck:?:

I don't ever think I've seen one with so heavy a bridge plate number...........

I've seen the yellow 69 alot :confused:

At the big Grayling Auction last year there were dozens of trucks with the 69, I thought it was just some perv being funny.

Looks like a decent truck, not sure if wood on the steel bed is a good idea though, trapping moisture.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd take a peek under the wood, could be lots of rust hiding under it. Check the tire air pressure before you take off with it.. Inner duals go flat and undetected very easily.

Nice lookin truck. Btw, What ya going to do with that?:mrgreen:

Side note - You dont happen to be the same DFO from RoR do you?
I'm gonna build a camper to slide in the back like a big truck camper. Other than that its because I've always wanted one.

And yes I use the same username on that forum as well as several others.

I put a deposit on the truck today and took a couple more pictures.

WyoDeuce

Nice truck. I did a radiator repair last week. The upper hose is 6" of straight 2" hose that I picked up at NAPA. The # is 24032 (part # interchange list) but just buy bulk hose. A 2 1/4" hose clamp was just barely too short. The lower is #7372 with 1" cut off each end. Change the belts too. Compressor is # 25-9510 and alternator is 2 belts, #25-9465. Good luck.