• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm havin trouble getting dang title :/

progun

All I have is a bill of sale. There is no data tag on it. Pain in the BUTT! I want to be able to put my MUTT on the street. UGH!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the registration number painted on the hood? This is same as the VIN for 151A1s. Muttguru on G838.org can help decipher the number under the hood to give you a year.

M816 Mac

Good Luck. I don't know about your state but mine is no title no plates. There is a numbered plate on the transmission hump in the drivers side leg well. You may have to look under the metal lines that are running along there. I know there is one on my A2 not sure about the earlier models.

Last edited:

L1A1

All I have is a bill of sale. There is no data tag on it. Pain in the BUTT! I want to be able to put my MUTT on the street. UGH!
Maybe I missed it but do you have an M151, M151A1 or an M151A2 ?

If you lift up the hood is there a small rectangular tag on the top of the firewall just about in the center of the body tub? There is a "Budd" number and a serial (body?) number on that tag.

If your mutt wasn't built by Ford & there were a couple of manufactures (AM General being one) then that body tag (not data plate) will be located in a different location. On AMG trucks, the tag was on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel about where the driver's right ankle would be. You may have to sand off a couple of layers of paint to find this tag but take care as to not sand the gently stamped numbers off of the tag.

www.g838.org is an excelent site for all things mutt related.
Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's funny, in vn, a 151 was NEVER called a mutt, but just a jeep or 151, "mt jeep or 151 had a flat" NEER my mutt had a flat, ONLY in the civi world do I see a 151 called a mutt. besides if the KOREANS thought it was a mutt, they would probably eat it.

L1A1

It's funny, in vn, a 151 was NEVER called a mutt, but just a jeep or 151, "mt jeep or 151 had a flat" NEER my mutt had a flat, ONLY in the civi world do I see a 151 called a mutt. besides if the KOREANS thought it was a mutt, they would probably eat it.
Yeah this comes up from time to time over on the m151 forums :deadhorse:. I've heard the term "Mutt" used by several former service members . They were all from the late 1970s/1980s & post Vietnam/1960s

As for calling it a "one fiftyone", I was publically chastized by a LTC. for not using the proper "One-Five-One." The real kicker was that he was retired and I was a civilian.
Matt

emr

Sorry no matter who called it a Jeep, its not :), But anyone can call it what they want, Although Its a MUTT M151, Not a Jeep :) There are threads explaining this.... G-838, M151 series,Utility tactical truck,It is an obvious take off of a Jeep, But its not ... In a town near here full of Spanish guys who call Suzuki samurai things Jeeps, So if enough of them call the Jap suv's Jeeps they will be Jeeps too ? Just sayin... :idea:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry no matter who called it a Jeep, its not :), But anyone can call it what they want, Although Its a MUTT M151, Not a Jeep :) There are threads explaining this.... G-838, M151 series,Utility tactical truck,It is an obvious take off of a Jeep, But its not ... In a town near here full of Spanish guys who call Suzuki samurai things Jeeps, So if enough of them call the Jap suv's Jeeps they will be Jeeps too ? Just sayin... :idea:
If in vn someone asked to "borrow your mutt", they would think you were going to do a GIMP on their pet dog. by your above statement, I guess a 2 1/2 ton cargo truck should not be called a "DEUCE", a gama goat was never called a gama goat, it was just GOAT, "that POS GOAT died again"

No body called a151 a mutt, seems only the NON-MILITARY user EXPERTS fight for the mutt name, "the 151 has to be called a mutt" like it is an announcement " I AM A 151 EXPERT"

moose53

Good Luck. I don't know about your state but mine is no title no plates. There is a numbered plate on the transmission hump in the drivers side leg well. You may have to look under the metal lines that are running along there. I know there is one on my A2 not sure about the earlier models.
most states nowadays won't title anything that old, all you can get is a transferable registration.... The body tag, ( frame on Kaiser, Firewall on Ford, Trans hump on AMG) is not a vin#, its an assembly line sequence number and may be duplicated on other jeeps. Spots to check for the military reg/vin# would be the sides of the hood, under the hood, and on the dashboard on the passenger side. if you can find that number Muttguru can probably provide you with the rest of the info for your dataplate.

Jim

progun

Ok, it is an M151a2. I rarely, if ever call it a MUTT. It is a jeep to me. I only said it in this thread..... aaaand, that is technically what it is. That being said, it is most likely a 1971. The data tag was on the dash to the left of the steering column. I DO have a number under the hood. If this is the "VIN" then that gets me farther along. I was going to have to get the state police to come VIN stamp it for me. Having that would only have me left to prove that who I got it from could legally sell it to me (he can). So, onward!

cstaup

The data plate to the left of the steering column has your vin. It is pretty short compared to civvy 19 digit vins. It shoulbe (example) 2P0346, or something like that.

If all you need is a bill of sale and a vin...your are gold! Ohio will provide a new vin, but it is a real PITA. Good luck.

progun

A title can be gotten but I needed a vin. If it is the number under the hood that is perfect. The data tag on the left of the column is missing.

moose53

Number under hood is 02LZ0571. Could this be used as the VIN?
that is the vin# and would have been stamped on the vehicle data plate. That reg# corresponds to a 1971 Ford. (02= 1/4 ton truck, LZ05 is the unique reg, and 71 is the year of manufacture) The dataplate registration number would have combined the hood number and budd tag number (tag on firewall) like this " 02LZ0571-16075 " Having the hood number and budd# the correct contract number and date of delivery can be determined to completely fill in the blanks on a replacement data plate. That should fix your title/registration problem....

Jim

nattieleather

Good info there Jim. Hopefully it will help him get a title.

MUTT = Military Utility Tactical Truck. This was the title given to the XM151 1/4 ton truck project. The military didn't pick up on the MUTT title, but the civilans did. Much like it's replacement the Highly Mobile Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle HMMWV became the Humvee and Hummer. Most GIs call it a Humvee. Most GIs called the M151 a Quarter ton. (or at least the GIs I hung around)

uriss

Check on the frame by the left front wheel for the vin.
Also in La. if you go to the motor vehicle office on Independence blvd. in Baton Rouge, apply for the Military tag at the antique tag office. There You will get a one time charge for your plate number which you paint on your bumper. It is good in perpitutity.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is the vin# and would have been stamped on the vehicle data plate. That reg# corresponds to a 1971 Ford. (02= 1/4 ton truck, LZ05 is the unique reg, and 71 is the year of manufacture) The dataplate registration number would have combined the hood number and budd tag number (tag on firewall) like this " 02LZ0571-16075 " Having the hood number and budd# the correct contract number and date of delivery can be determined to completely fill in the blanks on a replacement data plate. That should fix your title/registration problem....

Jim
Jim, I am no expert on this at all but I thought it was commonly believed on G838 that the Budd number on the plate under the hood had nothing to do with the serial number/VIN/registration (hood) number???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks