• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm just curious...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that there is only a small percentage of the population that is willing or able to work on, drive or have a vision of what these truck are about. I work with a group of 20 to 40 year old men that have absolutely no mechanical skills and most can't even drive a stick. I think our downfall was the start of Pac Man. If the younger generation doesn't have their computer, I-pod or whatever life is over. And then there is a must have to fully enjoy these trucks... a tolerant wife.
Hey now, some of us that grew up on pac man make a nice living working with those evil computers. Course I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to my other counterparts in IT. If it has a keyboard or mouse, I can support it. If it has wheels or treads, I can drive it. If it's broken, I can fix it.

hwcurtice

If, and when, I hope to find others near by that won't mind a short trip to scratch their collective heads to figure out how to fix something or help tow the monster home.

As mentioned before, I did locate someone within 20 miles the does Deuce bobbing, but I don't know his name on SS. I know he visits here, because he uses pictures I've seen here.

I did go searching MultiFuel engines. Wiki has a great description. Pretty much says the same thing the other poster says. Just they seem to limit it to diesel and jet fuel. So, more research....

Um, do all Multifuel engines look the same in these? Looking at the engines, they all seem identical on the outside when they say Multifuel. I guess what I'm asking is, if they don't say it, but it looks like a Multifuel, is it one?

ICAT

i want one because it was the first vehicle i learned to drive when i enlisted. if you have never driven one, it is hard to explain. I WILL HAVE ONE. OH YESS, I WILL HAVE ONE

5tonpuller

Why I have one? Check out the picture to the left. WHY NOT !
It started out to be a father n son project. Now it is a father project. He moved to find work.
AND I burn fuel. :driver::jumpin::drool:[thumbzup]

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why? Cause helicopters are too expensive and I'm not a pilot. I can own an equal sized MV (actually heavier than a Huey) that I can operate, admire, drive, sometimes fix, decorate (very important to us aviation types), admire, show off, help out the local PGR when the fallen are laid to rest, gee (yeah I said gee, go ahead and laff) I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want one!

And they really look cool, or did I already say that? :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

The little smileys are neat too.

zak

Hey now, some of us that grew up on pac man make a nice living working with those evil computers. Course I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to my other counterparts in IT. If it has a keyboard or mouse, I can support it. If it has wheels or treads, I can drive it. If it's broken, I can fix it.
You one of the small percentage. How many of us are passing down the mechanical skills and how many kids want to learn them. As much as I tried my kid wanted nothing to do with working on things mechanical. I was suprised that I got him to go on the last recovery. But there is an upside to all this. If everybody loved these trucks then prices would be out of site.

midcounty

Bought mine just because I always thought they were cool trucks, ever since I was a kid. When I found out they were available at such affordable prices, I did some research and bought my first one. Now I have two trailers in the yard, two more trailers and another Deuce waiting on EUCs. These won't be the last ones either. I use mine every chance I get, and really enjoy it. I have a 700hp Chevelle and a custom Harley, but I have more fun and get more reactions from the Deuce. I have had my Deuce in a couple parades, and the looks on the kid's faces is priceless. Chics dig it too ;) So as far as the price of a Deuce goes, they are cheaper then alot of used pickups, can haul literally tons more, will go more places, and I'm sure outlast alot of equally priced vehicles by far.

randygk

I thought I was the only one who liked to lay under the deuce and look at the strange stuff.LOL Any and all of the preceeding reasons are more than enough to own a deuce.
BTW Calif requires a commercial license to drive one. So I had to get a CDl, had a nice young lady give me personal training. Chalk up another benefit of deuce ownership.
My brother and I have one in hand and 5 waiting EUC, there will be more MV's - at least one 5 ton and maybe a M-1008.

aspann

I turned in my cell phone and with the money I saved up for awhile, I bought a M35a2. Now I have a M1008, M105, M101.

Clay James

I think that there is only a small percentage of the population that is willing or able to work on, drive or have a vision of what these truck are about. I work with a group of 20 to 40 year old men that have absolutely no mechanical skills and most can't even drive a stick. I think our downfall was the start of Pac Man. If the younger generation doesn't have their computer, I-pod or whatever life is over. And then there is a must have to fully enjoy these trucks... a tolerant wife.
I'm 20 and I'm old school for my age, I listen to mostly Big Band and Swing which is very old school. I use my computer for Steel Solders and gun forums, I really only play video games at friends houses. I tore my whole front axle apart for a inner seal replacement and I didn't find it very hard. There's a few of us out there.:driver:

RWG

I Have m35a2c here on the farm and I use the truck to haul the big round bales to feed the cows in winter. I have a 1200 gallon tank that can be mounted in the back to spray fertilizer or other chemicals on the pastures. Or spray fence lines with herbicide. I have pulled a disk and tire drags. I use it in the rough ares where I have pine tree plantation to spray out brush.
I spent some time in the army a long time ago and even though I was a 67N MOS ( utility helicopter repairman) my captain said "**** boy, if you can keep a chopper flying, you can fix a F ing truck). So, being in an avaition unit, we had duces and 151's, 715's. And I got to become familiar with many of them.
Any way, these old trucks will last forever if maintained. Part are available and a great many service manuals are available on this site. Search for information here also. There is a wealth of knowlege in these posts.
Good luck. Need help, just ask.

Barrman

One item not really mentioned that makes ownership easier is the manuals. The DOD spent millions of dollars making manuals for all military vehicles. From how to open the door and start the truck to what everything on the truck does and how to rebuild every single part the vehicle might have bolted to it. All written to be understood and used by people who might have made it to 8th grade. Lots of pictures too. Actually, 2 complete manuals per vehicle series of just pictures and part number listings. The TM's are great, free to download at the top of this page under the resources tab and make it so nothing is beyond your ability to fix.

Just remember this if you are looking at a military vehicle. All of them except the Chevy CUCV series were first designed to haul a lot of weight off road at speeds up to 35-40 mph. They excell at that criteria. Being able to drive them down the paved highway at 50 plus mph is just an un intended consequence. They will do it, but they weren't designed for it, so approach any Mv with that in mind.

Now, the CUCV trucks were street trucks first and do great at their secondary job of being off road too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks