• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

im new and ihave questions

broncxl302

ok soo im very new to this army thing. i have always wanted one since i was little im now 20 and got my hands on a 1955 M54 5ton with a 602 gasser, i love it. but i have questions. ive had it about a year now i use it on the farm to get hay. i do hay rides. and i have notice my front axle does not engage. so i went on here and did hours of looking at forums and found that the scrag gear? i think it is. or just the scrag, scag. i forgot. im sorry. but i here they have all kinds of issues. but i was crawling around under it and noticed my front driveshaft is locked in place. i was woundering do the hubs on these lock and unlock automatically to or are they always engaged? thats really my only question. i would jack the truck up but i have not yet purchased a jack large enough for it. home depot doesnt pay me that much. thanks for the help i hope i didnt miss read antyhitng that already answers that. also if you have anything else to throw in there that i should know would be great to. thanks

broncxl302

i have another question i cant find anyhting on how the sprag works does it have anyhting to do with air engagement or is it all gear? i really dont know. mabe someone could point me towards a forum about it or a website

M813A1

the sprag gets engaged by the air valve when you shift from reverse gear to first gear it will engage the sprag for it
to go forward or in reverse . the transfer case is engeged by using the level in the cab for Hi or Low range selection

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2010.

The Sprag units on the M35A2 series were automatically engaged, but controlled by the shifter in the cab as to forward or reverse sprag clutch engagements. The sprags were supposed to kick in automatically when the fron wheels and the rear wheels had a rotational difference of about 12%(?) in revolutions. In other words, if the rears were rotating/slipping faster then 12% above the front wheels, the sprag clutch would engage and lock the front drivelines into the transfer case. When the slipping stopped, the sprag would automatically cut out.
The PROBLEM with the sprags are, you do not want to be engaged with the sprag in forward motion (say), and at a stop let the truck drift backwards, because then the rearward motion sprag will try to engage, and the result when power is applied will destroy your transfer case and sprag clutches. The Army generally rebuilt these trucks with air shifts so the driver could control the front axle engagements independent of all other considerations, and when the air shift is engaged, it works in either direction.

You will want to check your operator's manuals to be sure of this fact, and I am sure other members more knowledgeable then I will chime in.

Good luck with the truck.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks