• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm sad to sell Ethan's Deuce and related parts, but...

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I reluctantly came to the decision that I sell my deceased son Ethan's (aka Builder77) truck and related vehicles, parts and hardware. My question is whether I should sell his collection as a whole, or individually. His deuce is a 1987 M35A3 American General multifuel flatbed with drop-able sides. The only reason it is not working (as far as I know) is that the alternator was cannibalized prior to sale. Also, the gauge (fuel) below the speedometer is not in place. Ethan did get a used and an unused alternator, along with many other parts. Notably is a boxed Spicer 3053A transmission, a transfer case, a tow bar, some power take off hydraulics, two extra fuel tanks, new truck bed hoops, an arctic insulation kit, a personnel heater unit, an expensive air conditioning unit, a couple of so-so covers, a cold weather start kit, a grinder to service drum brakes, two boxed Teledyne 4A032 4-cylinder gas engines, a spin-on oil filter kit, and an undented replacement hood. The tires on it are original. The deuce is currently in original dually configuration, but Ethan planned to single the rear axles using highway tires. After Ethan's death I did try to realize this plan, and bought a full set of Canadian military surplus tubeless highway tires with a 65 mph rating. There are a total of eight Michelin 11R20 XZL's, six of them on wheel rims. There are also two trailers. One is a standard M!05, with a good cover and sides, and the other one is a heavy duty frame type trailer. There are also two more standard tires with rims. Ethan also had the truck's maintenance records, manuals for everything, and parts and plans for a pre- and post-run engine lubrication system. I would like to sell Ethan's collection to a person who would appreciate the effort and cost of getting all this together. BUT it is such a large amount that I doubt too many guys could afford the whole bundle. I am curious as to a reasonable price to ask if sold as a lot, and reasonable prices for the major parts if sold individually. They would have to be picked up in Richmond, Virginia. Thanks in advance for your advice. Rob

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Rob.

I was the guy that won the auction you had on here for Ethan's vegetable oil. I have to tell you, I miss him and think of him often. He was the first person from this site that I met face to face. He taught me a lot and had some grand dreams and very interesting improvements to do to his truck. I know he is missed by myself and others here.

As for a price, I don't even know where to begin. I know what he had and remember his stockpile. I would say if I had the money and the wife wouldn't kill me, I'd try to come to an agreement with you so I could help you and give the truck the love it deserves. Alas that isn't to be at my hands, but hopefully someone else here or even elsewhere will take it and take care of it for him and you.

m38inmaine

HI Rob, good luck with the sale of the collection. I still have Ethan's generator trailer, The M1008 is still here that you helped me with as well. We needed a prybar to tighten the new alternator belt on the CUCV for the trip back to Maine, found one in the old "shoebox" volvo and I still have it handy in my toolbox.

Seth_O

Sorry for your loss. I am a father to five myself, and cant imagine losing one of my children. The reality is you will get more for the collection by parting it out than if you sell it complete. You're also more likely to get buyers for individual components than for the entire lot. If you do choose to part it out, you will likely spend more time and effort on it, and run the risk of having some 'leftovers'.

In my opinion, you have a fairly large list with some semi-expensive items on it, were I in your shoes and had the time I would sell the components individually. Take good pic's, do quick research on each item to see what comparable pieces are going for and put them up for sale both on your Craiglist (or local equivalent) and on here. Be prepared to spend a few months selling everything off, if you're willing to box up and ship parts (at least the smaller ones) you'll do far better selling them.

Again, sorry for your loss and good luck with the sale - whichever route you decide to pursue.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear Dad,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. He was a special guy just because he was here on Steel Soldiers.

Can you describe the A/C unit some. Is it one that has the compressor that mounts on the
engine or is it totally self contained and runs on 24 volts?

Thanks,
Orren

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another kink. Ethan owned an older M35A2 that he sold just prior to his death. He put the Antique plate from his sold one on the one he had towed to his back yard. He didn't complete the titling process, and I thought the plate was valid. Well, I have been emailing GL, and sent Ethan's death certificate, etc. They have responded that I can now apply for an SF97. However it will be a month before it is properlly titled.

I hired a mechanic to help me put the alternator in. He was able to get the engine to turn over, but the starter works only intermittently. I am having a rebuilt starter put in today. If it runs, I will drive it to a nearby self-storage place, loaded with his collection of M35 parts. Or I will get it towed, as we have to move out tomorrow!

In the wild hope that someone would like to buy the truck and parts as a lot, I am posting in the classified. Otherwise I will sell the truck, the trailers, the transmission, the transfer case, set of Michelin highway tires and other items individually, with buyers able to pick them up in Richmond (near 95 and 28) in late October or early November when I will be back in town.

Ethan had so much stuff!!! I cannot handle the deuce and a half, but will complete his Jeep rebuild.

Rob Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air conditiong kit says it is for a Hummer, but I was told I could adapt it. The compressor is set up for v-belt. If Ethan's truck and collection sells as a lot, the A/C will go with it. If not, it will be sold separately next month.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan was a good man and good friend; we talked often. I wish I were in a position to purchase this stuff, but I have other projects going on. In my opinion, the M35A2C is worth $4K even with the issues...probably $5K if you got it running properly.

Good luck with the sale.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IT STARTED ! After a new (rebuilt) starter was put in, and a few gallons of deisel fuel was put in the (dry) tank, I pushed the red button and the engine turned over, and over. Finally the fuel reached the engine and it ignited. The engine chugged nicely. When I pulled the throttle it responded with a roar! As it was 8:30 pm I quickly pushed in the throttle. Then I put it in first gear and let out the clutch to stop the engine. Supershake. There must be a better way. Help!

Now that it runs, I can drive it in my yard and load Ethan's parts. I don't know about the transmission. And possibly/probably will attempt to drive it to the self-storage place which fortunately is only a 1/10 of a mile away. Or perhaps there is someone with experience willing to drive it to storage? To save a deuce from possible injury? I think I can pull the trailers with my pickup truck.

Just go slow and easy not much different than an old standard shift pickup except its size and stay uder 2500 rpms if you need to I ll give you my phone number I ll try to answer any ?s you may have.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot has happened since I last posted. I was in a desperate push to pack all my (and Ethan's) belongings into a U-Haul on Sept 13th. My ex-wife was to own everything I didn't take, and her plan was to scrap it all. Unfortunately the packers I had hired failed to show, and didn't respond to messages. I had to give up my plans to take Ethan's major machine tools to Massachusetts. I was forced to sell Ethan's Bridgeport milling machine, his lathe, large sandblast cabinet, 1" thick welding table and many other items. The prices I posted on CL were cheap but the buyers paid in part by helping me load. The day before the deadline I had (with the help of one buyer) loaded the tires and parts onto either the deuce or it's trailer. I was fortunate in that he knew how to drive a deuce. He towed the trailer to the nearby storage lot with his pickup truck (and my pintle hitch). Then he got the deuce started, after I sprayed starter fluid in the air filter housing. We chugged off in low gear, got on the street, and then realized from the bumping that one of the front tires was flat. I should have checked the tires earlier, but I had far more to do than I could handle. Anyway, we were very fortunate. It was dark, the deuce headlights were missing, and the replacements not yet installed. We chugged two blocks with me holding a flashlight, and Raymond (the driver) struggling to steer with the flat tire. We crossed a major street and entered the storage lot entrance safely, all without attracting the attention of police. I was also fortunate in another way. Keith, the owner of the nearby self-storage lot just south of Richmond, is a deuce lover who was both resourceful and helpful. He helped me by arranging for night time access to his lot, and will allow repairs as long as no fluids are involved. Moving day was a nightmare, but we did finally hit the road with me driving a 26' rental truck, and towing Ethan's Jeep parts on an auto transport trailer, held together with traps. My new wife followed in our station wagon with our two dogs. It was a tiring but uneventful trip. We have been in Massachusetts two weeks now, still unpacking our things and recuperating from this ordeal. Two days ago a new ray of hope shined. We had gone to a beach to watch the sun set, and I was interested in an antique fire truck, which is now used to give children rides. I recognized the owner as a man I had met a couple of years ago because he owned a deuce (and a service station). I told Peter about the deuce situation and he encouraged me to bring it here, saying he and some friends would help. And so the current situation is that, sometime in late October, I will be driving to Richmond to work on getting the deuce titled and roadworthy. I have the big Michelin highway tires on board so it can be singled. Ethan had bought all the parts needed to repair it, and so it may be possible for the deuce to live again! When I decide on travel dates, I will post them, and anyone who wishes to help restore Ethan's deuce will be welcome during a few days to participate. If you are interested in helping wrench with me, please PM me, and I will notify you when I decide on firm dates. The dates will be determined in part by who is available. I still don't know if I can keep it, but at least it can be sold in roadworthy working condition. I won't promise or sell any parts until the deuce is together. All this good fortune makes me wonder if there has been some guidance from above. Meeting three people, at the time of need, who could help me save the deuce seems unlikely.

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry for the storm that was on you but the sun looks likes its coming out to give you a ray of hope. i think the sailing will be smoother. wish i were closer to help you out

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's amazing how one can recover from such a desperate moment. Glad to hear some good news!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I was closer to help.

I've been reading along and alot of thoughts and emotion come out from these posts.

It's good to remember...

Ones path in life is full of unexpected bumps and detours.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After moving from Virginia to Massachusetts, and recuperating some, I'm nearly ready to work on Ethan's deuce. I'm combining doing this with visiting my wife's family for a week. Actually, she will be visiting family, while I work on the deuce. Of course if anyone wishes to help, you are certainly welcome. The deuce is at the Bermuda self-storage, and they have been very helpful. I appreciate the help of Keith and his wife, the owners, as I don't know what would have happened to it otherwise.

My plan is to work on it this Sunday, and for as many days as necessary for it to be mobile and able to pull its trailer. This will include changing the standard tires to the big Michelins, and singling the rear tires as part of it. The alternator is in place, but not connected electrically. The replacement starter seems to work okay. There are several parts missing, including the headlights and some electrical switches, but I have all the replacement parts. And hopefully I brought enough tools in the utility trailer that I just pullede from Massachusetts to Virginia. I still have to get the title, but the process has started with Gov't Liquidation.

The self-storage place is just south of Richmond, very close to the intersection of US 95 and VA 288. This Saturday afternoon I plan to test my ability to get in, and will then telephone guys interested in helping, to let them know if we can get in Sunday to work on it. I don't want to post my telephone number in this public forum, but members can PM me with their telephone numbers and I will reply with mine, as well as call them Saturday concerning being able to work on it Sunday and the following days.
I had hopes of moving the deuce and its trailer to Massachusetts, but am less optimistic now. It looks like I will be selling it to someone who would be able to use and enjoy it. I doubt that I can actually sell it until late December, when I plan to return to Richmond with a good title. It will be a pleasure to complete Ethan's deuce and see it in good hands. Rob