• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm sad to sell Ethan's Deuce and related parts, but...

big block 88

Wow, wish I was closer sir... I wish you the best of luck, this is a pretty heart breaking ordeal, your resolve and strength is commendable sir. Not a religious man myself but, God be with you for journey through this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Ahab

Just reading in here about your ordeal. I am very sorry about the loss of your son. Adding my prayers to those by big block 88 above, that everything works out for you, and that you find peace at the end of all this. Amen.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I responded to a PM concerning selling deuce items now, so I thought I should make my intentions more clear. My goal this week is to get the new wheels/tires on, and the truck in decent running shape. After all repairs have been done, I'll see what items remain. Many will go with the truck, to keep it complete. Other than repairs and inventorying items, I doubt I can do much more this trip. I don't expect to have it properly titled until I return in December near Christmas. As to selling items, I will post a list in the SS "for sale" section by the end of November. That way I can have guys pick up items directly while I am in Richmond, or by having friends get them. Small items can be shipped of course, but there are some heavy items (the transmission and transfer case especially). If I tow my utility trailer I might be able to transport some items when I return from Virginia to Massachusetts. However, if you could use M35 tail lights, there are several extra pairs! Rob p.s. If you are not too far away, you can get a preview this Sunday through Thurs? when I will be installing dashboard items, doing some electrical work, and putting on the big Michelin tires. If interested, please send a PM and I will send you my cell phone number.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to open the self-storage gate and get to the deuce&1/2 this afternoon. This means that I will be there much of the day tomorrow (Sunday), probably starting at 10am. The weather forecast looks perfect. I expect to be working on it through Wednesday, or even Friday if it takes more time than I expect. The location is just south of Richmond, VA, near the intersection of US95 and VA288. If anyone is interested in helping, you can call my cell phone at 804-651-6110. I hesitated to post it earlier, but then realized that it is easy enough to edit my posts in a few days and delete it. I doubt that anyone but a real steel soldiers member would read the post soon. Anyway, I will bring some tools, and of course some soft drinks and snacks. I had a concern that the automotive jack I brought might not be enough, so I bought a 20-ton bottle jack. I also have some pieces of wood to help with the lifting necessary to change the old wheels/tires to the big Michelin ones. They are heavy at 250 pounds. I do have a problem that perhaps someone can offer advice about. While the tires were sitting outside the last couple of years, a couple of the tires lost air and rainwater was able to get in. These tires are much tougher than car tires, and I can't distort the tire enough to get the water out. What I did today was to buy a couple of long tire irons (spoons?) and a small hand pump. I am hoping that I can bend the tires far enough from the wheel so that I can insert a tube into it long enough to reach the water so I can pump it out. If someone has experience removing water from deuce tires, I would be glad to learn a better plan. Rob

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Gregory B, who knows deuces and looked at my deuce three weeks ago, I have a preliminary list of things needing to be repaired. If you are knowledgeable concerning these parts, I could use your in-person advice. 1. I bolted in a replacement alternator, but not the wiring. I got the engine to start by charging the batteries. 2. The light control switch assembly is missing, but there is a replacement. 3. The headlights need to be installed. 4. When the master switch was turned on the low air buzzer did not sound, so I am not sure if the air system is working. 5. The instrument panel is missing the fuel gauge. 6. The front air locker switch is missing the status light. 7. I expect to be able to replace the standard front tires with the big Michelin ones, but singling the rear axles may be more tricky. If you would like to join the small crowd working on this Sunday, or me working on it the following days, please call me at the number noted in the prior posting. Rob Alexander

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did spend a day working on Ethan's deuce, and now have revised my plans. I must first thank "olbucksnort" (Pete) who drove an hour to help me. Also, I would like to thank another SS member who drove two hours to help, but who wanted to remain anonymous. THANK YOU! (you know who you are) Thanks to these helpful guys (like most in Steel Soldiers from my experience) I now have a fairly detailed list of the problems and good points about the truck. Today I will be organizing and photographing parts, working on the generator wiring, and trying to fix some of the dashboard instruments and controls. The deuce is running well enough that I can now drive it and pull its trailer. If someone wants to look at it this week, please send a PM. Since I don't yet have a clear title, I don't want to sell the deuce and its trailer until December. It has one flat tire (middle axle far left) that will need a new inner tube, but otherwise the tires are okay. And so I will sell the big Michelin tires I bought three years ago as a separate deal. I'll post the information on them later today, and if someone wants to buy the full set of tires or other items, they can be picked up this week. I will also sell trailer and deuce hoops, a PTO and some related parts, an arctic insulation kit, a coolant heater, two generator? gas engines, and many other items. There is also an enormous cover. I was thinking that it could be used full length for shade at a rally, then doubled back inside and used as a rear divider. Can someone tell me what it fits? IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1310.jpg

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This update is just an alert that I will be in Richmond today and tomorrow (Saturday) and then will be driving north to Massachusetts Sunday. If I can sell some big ticket items Sunday, I may stay another day. I have many items listed for sale in the SS classified section and, if you are interested in viewing or buying them, time is limited. It is possible for me to cart some things north on the 5x10 trailer I am towing, but am not willing to go much out of my way, which is mostly interstate 95. I plan to return to Virginia for a week or two in December, to visit family, and will complete sales at that time. This will include the '87 deuce with its trailer. Rob Alexander

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed to move the deuce and its trailer from its temporary location to a spot within the fence of the self-storage place. I was happy that the engine started immediately when I pushed the start button. The wheels of the trailer had sunk into the dirt some, and its ring wasn't high enough to get into the pintle hook. I tried to drag it onto some wood with the safety chains and found that the trailer tongue wheel wasn't properly locked in position, so it folded up. It took the help of a man with a forklift to raise the trailer and attach it. Then I had the fun of pulling the trailer over a dirt road, and then the challenge of backing into its parking space with the trailer. Now I know why guys are willing to spend big bucks for power steering. I did get my upper body exercise yesterday! I also learned how difficult it is to steer backwards with the trailer. I couldn't see it using the mirrors unless it was halfway to jack knifing. After some time I asked for guidance, as I was uncomfortably near other vehicles. It is properly parked now, and can stay where it is until it gets a new owner sometime near Christmas.

Another Ahab

Then I had the fun of pulling the trailer over a dirt road, and then the challenge of backing into its parking space with the trailer…. I also learned how difficult it is to steer backwards with the trailer. I couldn't see it using the mirrors unless it was halfway to jack knifing.
This is a difficult project for you I recognize; and I'm glad that, slowly but surely, you are making progress. I pray for you that it all closes out as cleanly as possible, and as can be expected.

And an unintended consequence is that you have helped my decision-making about whether or not to consider picking up a trailer. I wasn't sure, and have been sitting-on-the-fence about the whole idea for the longest time. Until just now, when I read your post.

You didn't know you were helping me! But you did. In a big way. We never know whose lives we are touching, or how, when we connect back-and-forth. I send you my thanks, and continue to hold you in my prayers.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab, you have left me wondering what your decision is about getting a trailer. In case it was a "no" I want to say that there is a pretty easy fix for the inability to see it in the rear view mirrors unless it is way off center. A pole sticking up from the center rear of the trailer would make it visible from the deuce's rear window. That way it would be easier to keep the trailer directly behind the deuce when backing. I couldn't do that trick last night, as there is too much in the truck's cargo section to see even a pole. Now that I think of it, I could have had two poles sticking out sideways from the trailer, so I could see the ends of them in the mirrors and keep the trailer on a straight path. One of the fun things about all this is improvising.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Pete, Thanks for checking in. It has been a long time since I was active here. After moving from Virginia to Massachusetts, I thought that a young man stationed overseas wished to buy Ethan's deuce and other parts as a package, but that didn't work out by the time I finally got it titled. I've kept it at a self-storage facility in Richmond. I had expected to work on it a few months ago, but my wife had a health issue which took priority. Well, I'm finally up for driving back in a couple of weeks. I am planning to drive to Richmond November 8th (or thereabouts) in my camper and spend the week visiting friends and working on the deuce. I don't expect to get it singled with the Michelin tires, but will at least get the parking brake together and put a newer canvas cover on. And hopefully sell it and/or its accessories. Rob

andy3

What do you still have left to sell? Go ahead and post an updated listing and we'll see what we can get moved for you Sir.

olbucksnort

Glad your doing well Rob. Prayers everyone else recovers too. The weather has been great for outdoor working and looks good for your visit in November . Hay maybe we could celebrate my birthday (ll/10) trying to get Ethan's emergency brake on. He would of liked that I'm sure. I got remarried ; we've been together 5 years and she supprised me with a early Birthday gift with a Modular Command Post Tent . Great replacement for my 22 ft. Tipi that finally came down this spring. It survived 2 blizzards 1 hurricane but the old fabric gave way. I now how it is hard to try and get things done by yourself give a call if you need a hand.
Sincerely,
Pete. AKA Ol'bucksnort
(703-six, one, five-3805.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your support, Pete. I did post an offer to sell it all as a lot, but I guess I asked too much. Anyway, I will delay my drive to Virginia until I have a sale (or sales if I break it apart). I would love to meet when that time comes. Rob

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Pete,
Thought I'd let you know that I sold Ethan's deuce and all that went with it, to a new SS member who lives near Winchester. He seems like a great guy, judging from our interaction. We trusted one another enough that I signed and mailed the title at the same time he sent a bank check. All worked out. I have found SS members to be trustworthy. Thank you for your support. I'm hoping to meet sometime. Rob