• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm "stinky"

oddshot

My wife just pronounced me "stinky".

We had a fairly warm day in NoGa so I've been out working on the Deuce.

I had a couple of oil (motor, one ea.) leaks and a couple of fuel leaks that I worked on ... nothing major but stuff I wanted to tidy up.

I have often found you don't need a lot of diesel to make a lot of odor.

Generally speaking ... ladies do NOT like the smell of diesel. Since I'm all filled with testosterone from working on cast iron a OD paint ... I'm gonna have to take a shower ... and apply a couple drops of Hoppes #9 behind each ear .... and in a couple *special* places.

soanyoldways ... one of the other things I looked over was my directional signals ... which do NOT work. I pulled the lights apart ... and found a couple bad ground connections ... just loose rivets which I drilled out and replaced with screws and nuts ...

I replaced a couple of bulbs (24vdc) but still no good ... I pulled the switch apart ... and found a crappy set of contacts at the "power" wire (I'm to lazy to go to the manual and check the connection number) ... which I cleaned up with a points file.

I've traced the problem to the flasher unit. And found that the dang this is FILLED WITH EPOXY AND UNSERVICEABLE.

???

WHO THE heck DESIGNED THIS THING ... FORD?

Something ELSE I got to buy.

soanyoldways ... I stink.

But I had a GREAT day futzing around the old gal.

Definitely a good day, well spent.

oddshot

rlwm211

Ahh, the smells of spring (Diesel, Gear Oil, Engine Oil and grease)
and the infatuation of youth with their MVs....

It brings a tear to me' eye.

RL

:grd:

Jimma

My signals stoped working the other day. I have to figure out why as well. Wish I could find some duece owners closer to where I live so we could tinker with them and share some knowledge. I think I am about the only one in a several county area over here.

oddshot

Ahh, the smells of spring (Diesel, Gear Oil, Engine Oil and grease)
and the infatuation of youth with their MVs....

It brings a tear to me' eye.

Youth?

My first job as a mechanic was at a International Harvester and CHECKER MARATHON dealership!!!

I left that shop to take a job at a VW dealership.

VW were stilling for $1495 when I started to work there.

That was a LLLLLlllllooooooonnnnnggggggggg time ago.

oddshot

Last edited:

rlwm211

I too am old too!
Even so, when the heart yearns to work on your MV,

you are definitely YOUNG AT HEART !!!!!

You are doing the work that was previously done by 20 year olds.......

Just looking forward to spring myself!!!!!

RL

:grd:

Im not contributing to the thread here, but I noticed that Jimma is in Hartwell, GA. My family hails from Dewy Rose and from Hartwell. It's nice to see yall from GA on here. Im currently in Fort Knox, KY but will be moving back home to GA in April. I'll be stationed at Fort Benning in Columbus but will be taking MANY trips up north to the property in Dewy Rose! If I am ever in town I just might look ya up. Im looking into buying an 5 ton here at knox to go along with my m1009.

Jimma- I noticed you are a teacher. Not sure where but my cousin was a teacher for 30+ years in hartwell. maiden name was bannister and married name is coffman...

Heavysteven

I wear latex gloves and a disposable painters suit from home depot.

This is to keep that diesel smell from getting on my hands. Also, when I get grease on my hands I can change gloves and then hop in the truck (no more grease on my new dataplates)

What a nice day I ran my truck hard to get old man winter out:jumpin:

Pooch1128

My signals stoped working the other day. I have to figure out why as well. Wish I could find some duece owners closer to where I live so we could tinker with them and share some knowledge. I think I am about the only one in a several county area over here.
We have three Dueces in service and in the last month we lost flashers and turn signals on two. Both where the (poc) flashers unit mounted on the tire well under hood..

(poc)= piece of @#$*

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Blue2actual, when you make it to Ft. Benning give me a shout.
There are several Steelsoldiers members here in Columbus/Ft.Benning area.

There is also a group of wacky ole fellers called CAMO that get together twice a week to tell lies and play with military vehicles.:lol::jumpin::jumpin:[thumbzup]

Blue2actual, when you make it to Ft. Benning give me a shout.
There are several Steelsoldiers members here in Columbus/Ft.Benning area.

There is also a group of wacky ole fellers called CAMO that get together twice a week to tell lies and play with military vehicles.:lol::jumpin::jumpin:[thumbzup]
The awesome. I've got a couple of friends about to purchase an M1008 and M1009 as well as an M809 from camp shelby. Im sure they will love to join up with you fellers and learn some stuff! We are all moving down there from Knox...going to be part of the Maneuver Center of Excellence (combining/meshing the infantry and armor schools together).

oddshot

Wish I could find some duece owners closer to where I live so we could tinker with them and share some knowledge. I think I am about the only one in a several county area over here.
There is a BUNCH of fellers from Georgia on this site ... and there ain't NONE out by you???

Hartwell is East of me ... but not so far that I can't stop by someday and say hey.

I want to get up to Toccoa oneday and try to find the old Airborne school up there.

I shot at an Appleseed (look it up on the web ... If you want to learn BRM the way it was taught in the old days ... or brush up old skills ... GO TO AN APPLESEED!!!) up there 2 years ago ... maybe this will give me an excuse to go back.

oddshot

oddshot

I too am old too!
Even so, when the heart yearns to work on your MV,

you are definitely YOUNG AT HEART !!!!!

Without gettin' all ZEN about it ... there is a certain joy and peace in working on stuff like this.

This is an HONEST truck. Steel and cast iron. NO electrickery that will rear back and bite you.

The most complicated thing on it is the directional signals.

You push a lever ... it pivots on a pin ... and pushes a rod ... and something happens. At the piviot point there is usually a zirk fittin' (grease fitting, alamite, what ever) to give it the shot of grease it needs to keep it in service.

You do your part ... it will do what it was designed for ... for a VERY long time.

Some folks would say that this is NOT a performance vehicle.

Bull Dinky ... its the ULTIMATE performance vehicle ... its just not the "performance" that some folks are lookin' for.

Yeah ... it might not go 200 MPH ... but sometimes speed like that is overrated. I learned a LONG time ago:

To WIN a race ... first you must be able to FINISH the race. The M35 is ALL about finishing the race.

I recently pulled apart an old Singer Sewing Machine ... cast iron and steel. It's an industrial ... and has a BIG ol' motor on it ... but that ALL theelectrickery it has.

Do you know that there is NOT a gear of any kind in this thing?

Every thing inside it is driven by a shaft and connecting rod system ... either that ... or a leather belt.

It may not do all that fancy zig-zags ... but it sure does sew canvas real good.

AND ... if the power goes out ... I can switch it to treadle power in no time.

Same as the Deuce.

It may not cut them fancy zig-zags ...

but it sure is one **** of a truck.

oddshot

akguy

The Deuce is simple! Things should be simple once again. The more bells and whistle's they keep putting on new vehicles and everything else nowadays, the more fragile our "world" becomes. Just look at all the new electronic gadgets and toys. In a few years (or maybe it's here now), I am afraid it will only take something simple to create a lot of havoc!!!! We have become too dependant on things that try to make life easy. What happened to the days where you waited until you got home to make a phone call? And hoped no one was on the party line. Anyone remember those phone calls?? God, i have dated myself with this post i am afraid....hahahahaha

anyways, life shouldn't be so simple. It made you enjoy things more back then. My 2cents:soapbox:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Deuces are tougher than woodpecker lips and will take a beating that will leave other trucks sitting on the side of the road with the hood up hemoraging fluids and parts.

I have driven them in from the field with all kinds of problems and they brought us home.

When the military abandoned the KISS principle they set us up for failure in future confilcts.

Reliability has been replaced with bling.

rlwm211

If a big ugly, cumbersome and ponderous vehcile
could be considered an

MAGNIFICENT SOLUTION

to a mobility problem,

The deuce, 5 ton and other ancient MVs are just that.

Magnificent in the balance of the durability and ease of repair.

Magnificent in that a reasonably capable GI
could maintain it and fix it if need be.

Magnificent in the sheer genius of the MULTIFUEL engine.

Magnificent in the variety of tasks the trucks can be used in.

The current crop of "TECHNO-CRAP" trucks are breakdowns in motion.

One glitch and they are as useless as a Soldier without his weapon,
and sadly, it will be our Soldiers who will be bearing the brunt
of the damages if their electronic trucks do break down.

They are talking about phasing out the HUMVEE and
that will remove the last of the non-electronic trucks from
the inventory if I am not mistaken.
Big mistake if you ask me.

RL

DJDD

Electronics in vehicles really are a huge pain. Thursday I will be paying money to the stealership for some repairs done on my 2500HD. $1800 for a few ELECTRONIC parts that had gone haywire. I miss the days of looking at an engine and being able to trace a problem without having to use a code scanner or replace something that isn't even made out of metal to make a vehicle work.

$1800 for four parts that plug in and don't have any metal on them besides the circuitry. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks