• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm stumped by my turn signals

gt1009

So my turn signals have basically given up on me. They don't work, and I can't figure out why. If I hit the lever, I get nothing. However, if I pull the headlight knob out halfway to the parklight position, all the lights come on. All the headlights and brake lights work. Because of this, I think I can assume that I do not have a ground issue right? Also, I checked voltage at the flasher unit, and when I hit the turn signal lever I get power, and when I flip it off I don't have power, so that all checks out. I have tried two flasher units, one brand new one, and the signals still don't work. So, I really have no idea where to go from here. If someone could help me out with this that would make my life much, much easier.
Thanks,

Numbers

? When turn signal is on do you receive power at your rear lights ?
I understand at the flasher unit you have power, but I am referring to the rear lights themselves.

If so then it could be a dirty contact which a steel bristle brush that looks like a pipe cleaner will fix after going over contacts (assuming you have already checked the bulbs).

If no power at rear keep following it forward until you have power. Then back up and start looking for a break in the line.

This is all assuming, without looking at the diagram that your turn signals run off a seperate line. If you have the diagram I can better inform you.

Last edited:

Numbers

A similar problem happened in my Jeep CHerokee and it turned out to be a break in the line on the drivers side just forward of the rear tailight assy under a panel. Corrosion after years of floating around in various climates played hell on the electrical system.

A good multimeter will find most problems I encounter.

gt1009

I don't think this is the likely cause because the lights come on if I put on the parklights, headlights, or press the brake. Only the turn signals will not make the lights come on, but since I'm getting power to the flasher unit, I don't know what the problem is, unless the flasher unit I got at the store was bad when I bought it.

gt1009

No, they don't come on when I hit the turn signals, so I guess that isn't the problem. What I think it is now is a break in the circuit somewhere between where it exits the fuse panel and where it splices in with the wiring for the parklights and everything else. I just have to figure out where that is.

dependable

I usually replace both flasher units, the turn signal and the hazzard, with commercial grade flashers. most auto parts stores stock them. Plug them in the same place on fuse pannel . They cost 15 to 20 bucks instead of 2 or 3, but they last a long time and make a solid clicking sound , never had one fail.