• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm worried about my Deuce freezing tonight

acesneights1

It's supposed to hit -10f with up to -30f windchill. I put new antifreeze in it when I swapped in the motor this past summer and figured I was good to go but in checking all my vehicles tonight the Deuce failed. I only had 3 balls floating which was -10f. I opened up the radiator drain and took a gallon out and put in a gallon of pure antifreeze but my problem is I am not sure if it mixed properly. I ran the truck for about 1/2 hr but could not get it past 140f even with completely blocking the radiator...I'm worried. I tested it again and it has 5 balls floating but that sample was drawn from the radiator. I have no way of knowing if the antifreeze in the block got mixed in or not. ****...I just put that motor in. See what stupidity can do...
I took the antifreeze that i drained out, sealed it in a pail so no animals could drink it and put it outside next to the Deuce as an indicator.I took an old comforter and wrapped it over the motor as best I could to block the wind. I don't know what else I can do at this point. I have no garage to put it in and i is too cold to work outside or I would drain the whole system. I am praying it mixed enough...:-(

acesneights1

Also when I started it, oil came pouring out of the filter housing seals. It seemed to stop but a spin on kit is now next on the list if I still have a block left tomorrow.
The other thing I noticed is my cab heater seems to be piped in on both sides of the thermostat so maybe it was flowing even with the t stat closed ?? Didn't seem to be moving looking in the rad cap though.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used an incandescent style drop light to keep an engine warm. Plug it in and place the light next to the engine block. A couple of them would be better if you have them available. I have also used those small ceramic type cube heaters before.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your heater is plumbed incorrectly. You will never get to your thermostat temp with it like that.

Wind chill has no effect on metal (your engine).

acesneights1

I had the valves closed on it at first then opened them. I didn't plum them that way.I'll have to fix that when the weather breaks. I could not even move my hands anymore and had to come in. you think it mixed ?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wind chill "temp" doesn't matter. The truck will only get as cold as the "real" temperature... Wind chill only applies to living things that "make" heat biogically.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably mixed and will be fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you guys need bulbs to keep your blocks warm, I have 400watters! Local pick up only as I'm sure they will shatter in transit!

sandcobra164

I would imagine it likely mixed. Have you ever looked at a thermostat for one of these trucks? I have no idea how it works coming from a light truck and automotive background but it looks like it would work about as good as a screen door on a submarine as far as keeping water from flowing. I'm not sure why they put one in there at all.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would imagine it likely mixed. Have you ever looked at a thermostat for one of these trucks? I have no idea how it works coming from a light truck and automotive background but it looks like it would work about as good as a screen door on a submarine as far as keeping water from flowing. I'm not sure why they put one in there at all.
Its a valve actually. It bypasses the rad when cold, circulating through the block. Then once it sees the right temp, it opens to allow coolant into the rad.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always drain it.

JasonS

Not 100% sure but I think that you still gotta pull a lot of latent heat out for the phase change from liquid to solid once you hit the theoretical freezing point. I wouldn't worry.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
-10f . I don't know what else I can do at this point and it is too cold to work outside...............
The truck will survive due to your work. Take care of you now.
42F° below freezing point of water is where one takes care of the humans
then the animals then the machines. It is time to be careful.
Do not go dorkin around outside with machines alone at that temperature.
The worst that can happen is a freeze plug will go, that is what they were put in there for!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not 100% sure but I think that you still gotta pull a lot of latent heat out for the phase change from liquid to solid once you hit the theoretical freezing point. I wouldn't worry.
Yeah, like he said, PBA (probably be alright). It's a deuce.