• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Impact on availability of HMMVV's?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think DRMS cares about that? Even if they did, just about every wheeled and tracked vehicle in the US inventory is going thru a RESET/RECAP program, where used up vehicles are stripped down and rebuilt at a huge cost savings to the taxpayer.

I wouldnt hold my breath for a change to HMMWV demil policy.

wdbtchr

I'd doubt it, the muttonheads in Washington that make the rules probably won't reverse themselves. You know the "thats the way it's always been crowd". They will probably say that the humvee doesn't meet current road standards.2cents

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was under the impression that the reason for the current demil policy was that GM did not want any competition for their H1?

thought I read that somewhere here. . .

B3.3T

Not the same company, as stated a dozen times. The HMMWV is built by AM General, as was the Hummer H!. The goofy H2 and H3 are Hummer/GM. Who cares what happens to Hummer.

Ryanhooker

OK, they sold them the name. If you look at the one they build, they look simular but not the same. No demil will happen. Even there army is using them, but they are the same as a H1 in what it can do. NOT a HMMWV. It is a AM General Chassis.

mckeeranger

FMJ, I understand what you are asking.

My guess is; If the GM lobby was indeed the reason for the current policy concerning the release of the HMMWV, they will still make the same argument so they can sell their over priced SUV line. (Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, etc.)

Reactions: FMJ

m38inmaine

They rebuild them here in Northern Maine, hundreds are trucked in from all over the world and rebuilt. It saves uncle a bundle.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP was asking that since the RUMOR is GM (owner of the HUMMER line of SUVs) lobbied for the miltary HMMWV (made by AM General) not to be surplused because it hurt their sales, that maybe the since HUMMER (owned by GM) was being shuttered that the HMMWV (made by AM General) could be surplused off (by maybe GL).

This is much like if McDonalds asked that MREs not be surplused because it hurt the Big Mac sales and then the Big Mac was scrapped.

I never really did beleive that GM lobbied the gov for anything other than some quick taxpayer money. I think the real reason we don't see ex military HMMWVs is because AM General makes good money rebuilding them.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

:ditto:
It is the same reason that we don't see the HEMTTs surplused out. A few made it out in the past, but not again. By the time these trucks are obsolete enough to be surplused I doubt they will still be selling to civilians. The Surplus program was put in place to benifit farmers, ranchers and mining companies, not collectors. I think eventually they wil switch over to completely scraping all surplus vehicles.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw today that the deal with China fell through and the Hummer brand will die. Seems the pros and cons of the brand going overseas is dead as well.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I have your attention.

Moderators saw a post with a race/nationality slur.

That is forbidden and will get a member dis-membered if it becomes a problem.

We will strive in the forum to always use the proper names for various nationalities and peoples.

Thank you for your attention.

hummer4x4guy

I was under the impression that the reason for the current demil policy was that GM did not want any competition for their H1?

thought I read that somewhere here. . .

That is my exact thoughts. Since no other military vehicle is crash tested even now why single out the humvee? Because it was cheaper then the H1. If they really wanted no humvees on the road I am sure it would have been done. There is no difference in driving a humvee with vinyl doors and a factory stock Jeep with it's doors off. If you were to get hit on the drivers side.
I think its just crap they made up.
Joel