• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improving the gas mileage of the M-880 series

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all know the 318cid of the Dodge M880 series is a gas guzzler, a result of 1970s technology, but also of fulltime 4wd, locking hubs etc. Most owners of M880s get 12mpg on a REALLY good day, perhaps as low as 8 mpg on a bad day.

Was interested to hear any ideas you all have for increasing the gas mileage of this truck series, including repowering options. 318cid engines in today's trucks get much better mileage due to fuel injection, how hard would it be to add FI to an older -880?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So replacing the standard cast iron exhaust manifold with tubed headers would help it breathe? I thought in a single-pipe exhaust system, the muffler and catalytic are the limiting factor in the exhaust efficiency of the vehicle. Would replacing the stock carb help in getting the gas mileage to a better level? Or is the stock two-barrel the best for it now?

98hd

maddawg308 said:
So replacing the standard cast iron exhaust manifold with tubed headers would help it breathe? I thought in a single-pipe exhaust system, the muffler and catalytic are the limiting factor in the exhaust efficiency of the vehicle. Would replacing the stock carb help in getting the gas mileage to a better level? Or is the stock two-barrel the best for it now?
Did the 880 come w/ a cat? I know my '75 w200 never had one. I would ditch the whole exhaust, and put in something that would breath better.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I'm sure there are a few things that can be done to improve the fuel mileage.

but these things weigh well over 4000lbs, have the aerodynamics of a brick and 4.10 gearing. They could never get good mileage.

I firmly believe that a small 4 barrel & a RV cam would help out. I think headers would be counter productive on these trucks as it takes low end torque to get these heavy sob's rolling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks