• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

in a bad way!

Chuck76

I went to get fuel, shut her off, filled her up, started her, idled around the building, and she died. the engine spins over, but no fire. tried ether just to see if she would start, nothing. Now th eclutch is shot, and she has to be moved b4 the store closes, or it gets towed. I know troubleshooting on the phone / foroum can be a pain

anyone that can help, call me at 7042459636 or 7048568879

I'm about 5 miles away from where shes parked......

thanks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you didn't get any fire whatsoever on ether, you have 3 posible issues-

1- the engine has lost all compression or most of it. several things might have happened to cause this, all of them pretty bad

2- the path for air to enter the engine is totally blocked. No air, no fire, no ether either. Check for a blockage in the air cleaner

3- you could have been spraying too much ether, and 'flooded' the engine. it is possible to do with ether, but you have to have been dumping A LOT in.

Not sure how the clutch is now shot... and if the engine wouldn't run, how do you know the clutch is shot?:confused:

Chuck76

well, the clutch may not be shot, but i'm sure its not causing the no fire issue.

I got her home with the help of a friend and his trailer...so shes safe from being molested by onlookers or a tow truck.

the plunger is in. I'm getting fuel to all injectorsl.... i hope its not lost compression.

Well let's look at what we know. 1. Just filled fuel tank. 2. made it around the station and it died. Something tells me that station has water in it's holding tank and your poor truck got a fat dose. Maybe a hydrostatic issue damaged the injectors? I'm no diesel mechanic, but I'd open up the drain on the fuel filter and check for water. Can too much water in the fuel system grenade the injectors? Just a guess. Good luck! :cry:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could something have been stirred up in the fuel tank when filling and then was sucked in and clogged one of the filters?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you certain that you were actually injecting ether? Did you smell ether? There is almost no way the engine wouldn't have fired if you injected ether.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote for a clogged filter or a clogged pickup in the tank pump, especially if the tank has not been filled for a while, and you filled it up. When did you last change the fuel filters? 2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
well, the clutch may not be shot, but i'm sure its not causing the no fire issue.

I got her home with the help of a friend and his trailer...so shes safe from being molested by onlookers or a tow truck.

the plunger is in. I'm getting fuel to all injectorsl.... i hope its not lost compression.
What plunger is in? The one on the engine shut-off cover, or the one behind that?

carter09

my truck died suddenly, fuel pump in tank no good. put a after market on and fired right up. a friend on here told me that a duece doesnt need a pump. he was right,but the line had a dozen kinks and unions that were seeping air. replaced the line, all is good. i agree with the fuel issue.

Chuck76

The in tank pump is pumping.

the Shut off plunger, the plunger furthest to the outside

Havent changed fuel filters ... its gonna be done this weekend

not firing on either has me stumped, never seen anything not fire on ether....

Talked to the previous owner, he said last time he changed filters, it took awhile for him to get it started again,

I cracked the fuel lines on the first injector, and the last, and go fuel at both places.

andyindy

When you got your fuel, were they filling the under ground tank? I had this happen to me in a gas engined farm truck years ago, ran long enough to get me into heavy traffic. I'm still mad about that one!!!:) I never buy fuel when a tanker is unloading. I would check the filters/ water seperator first. Good luck! Andy......

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you got your fuel, were they filling the under ground tank? I had this happen to me in a gas engined farm truck years ago, ran long enough to get me into heavy traffic. I'm still mad about that one!!!:) I never buy fuel when a tanker is unloading. I would check the filters/ water seperator first. Good luck! Andy......

Andy, we're laughing WITH you, not AT you!

Chuck76

ordered new fuel filters, and will replace them tommrow, as they wont be here till this afternoon... and I work 2nd shift.....

I started to draining the primary filter, and diesel/oil ( previous owner ran filtered waste oil as fuel ) kept coming out. I had a 5 gallon bucket under the drain, I'd say i drained about a gallon of this mixture b4 I shut the drain off.... it would have kept drainnig if not.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok you have an A3 where is the prime and second fuel filter located:confused:
There is only one filter on an A3 - there is no primary filter. The only filter present on an A3 is in plain sight on the drivers side of the CAT 3116. On an A3 it is also important to clean the check valve on top of the engine.

However, this thread concerns an A2, which has a primary and two secondary filters. I believe the OP has a fuel or fuel filter issue. Too much of a coincidence that the problem started within minutes after topping off the tank. He should drain fuel from the bottom of the tank and look for water and change all three filters. I also believe he was out of ether or the ether system malfunctioned as I don't see how it's possible that the engine didn't fire on ether.

Chuck76

Yea, i dont know why she wouldnt fire off of ether.

anyway, I pulled the punp out of the tank, cleaned her up, and reinstalled. barley any fuel is being pumped out of the tank. Gonna oreder a new fuel pump and swap all the fileters. I tried loosening the primary filter with no luck. I read the TM, and it showed removing the filter/pump from the truck.....mmmm why? or is it easier to do than just spinning the filter housing off?