• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In cab communication

anjay22

I have a pair of David Clarke headsets I am trying to use to have in cab communication. Is there a type of box I need to purchase to make this happen that will tie the headsets together?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

it depends upon if you have aviation head sets or commercial head sets the impedance is different which in tern dictates which com box you must buy. if you have to buy the aviation stuff its going to be expensive.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tell you what works good is a pair of ryobitek4 head set, suppresses harmful impulse & back noise,enhances close range conversation
eBay item number:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing. these are what I use, my Son bought them when I was engineering on the tugs, he picked them up in home depot, they no longer sell them but if you can get them for less then a $100. you will like them,you can even hook up a radio etc. I think I picked up my second pair around xmass tjme for $60.00

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of David Clarke headsets I am trying to use to have in cab communication. Is there a type of box I need to purchase to make this happen that will tie the headsets together? Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
David Clarke makes excellent aviation headsets. Assuming these are aviation headsets, I would recommend a portable Sigtronics Transcom II intercom unit for small aircraft. I have used one for almost 20 years with zero problems. They are available from many aircraft accessory suppliers. I purchased mine from Sporty's Pilot Shop http://www.sportys.com . I would look on Ebay for a used unit.

ageregunner

I picked up a used aircraft intercom box on one of the auction sites, then later found a deal on the expansion box for it. It allows me to run 4 headsets. I put the expansion box in the rear of my deuce to allow anyone riding on the troop seats to communicate with the cab. This was very affordable, as opposed to buying a new unit. My headsets were also bought used. Another advantage to the aircraft intercom headsets is their ability to noise cancel, which is a good thing in a deuce. Don't rule out an aircraft system, they are available used all the time, as people get out of flying, and those who rent planes to fly will have their own portable intercoms. which they will take from plane to plane. My unit is one of these portables.

anjay22

So far I am going to go with an intercom system. I have these nice headsets and wanted to find a way to make them work. Any more advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far I am going to go with an intercom system. I have these nice headsets and wanted to find a way to make them work. Any more advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Are they aviation headsets? If so, as Anjay22 stated, they will work quite well - much better than standard headsets.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that may be a problem for ya.

The sigtronics transcom intercoms are great, but take general aviation headsets. They're not that expensive on fleabay.

But you'll likely need a converter, because military uses different plugs.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that may be a problem for ya. The sigtronics transcom intercoms are great, but take general aviation headsets. They're not that expensive on fleabay. But you'll likely need a converter, because military uses different plugs.
David Clarke is a fantastic company for customer service as well as making an excellent product. I sent them a 35 year old aviation headset a few years ago that was in pitiful shape. They reconditioned the headset making it look new and only charged $45.00 with free shipping. They replaced the cords, plugs, new mike and new pads. I would recommend contacting DC customer service, explaining what you have, and asking them what they would charge to replace the cords and plugs.

63C20

I have had good luck with this, sort of wish I bought the SPO-22N as the Deuce is kind of loud.
I glued some strong magnets to the case and just stick it to the dash
I had good luck with these guys http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secp/59

Sigtronics SPO-22 Two Place Intercom

$187.00
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Sigtronics Transcom II Portable Intercom

• Fail safe feature allows pilot to always hear radios - even if the intercom is off.
  • Operates up to 40 hours on one 9-volt battery (included).
  • Includes DC power cable to offer seamless operation on either battery or 11-34 Volt DC aircraft power.
  • Radio priority assures that ATC hears only the crew member transmitting.
  • Push to Talk Switch inputs for both pilot and copilot.
  • Music input for CD player, cassette player or AM / FM receiver.
  • Audio output for recording ATC flight dialog.

The Transcom II is available in 2 place, 4 place, and 6 place versions with the addition of one or two remote expansion modules (accommodating two passengers each), which are connected to the main unit by a 4 foot cord. This allows the backseat passengers to have their own units and connection points, and helps keep cord entanglements to a minimum.
A music input in all Transcom II intercoms makes long trips more enjoyable for crew and passengers. An audio output records flight dialog for post flight review, a great training tool for any pilot.
Size: 4" x 2.9" x 2"
Weight: 14 oz. with battery and power cord

[/FONT][/FONT]
[HR][/HR]

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I sold My aircraft I kept my Intercom and David Clark headsets. Will work great in my
deuce.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't see a problem using them. If the plugs are different, instead of changing plugs, an adapter can be made. One of my David Clark has a plug on it for helicopters so I made an adapter. I will have to check and see what brand of intercoms I have.

One is a David Clark intercom and the other is a Telex.

You may take the advice given earlier in the post and think about sending your David Clark's in and have them checked out.
I have dealt with General Aviation equipment, its hard to say what configuration the military headsets are.

I will PM you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks