• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In frame rebuild ?

snowtrac nome

Can the M1078's motor be re-built in

Thanks, Randy
Yes and no, the 3116, 3126, and c-7 series are not sleeved engines, there are no liners to be replaced so machine shop work is required to restore the cylinder bores. Some people might try to scratch up the bores and re ring the engines. The bearings can be replaced as long as the crank doesn't have any unusual wear. aside from a burnt piston I would find it hard to believe the engine needs new pistons and rings all ready. A bearing issue would indicate a crank shaft issue is likely we have a bunch of those engines in our fleet some have thousands of hours of abusive idle time on them with out a failure yet.

1951M1078

I'm not much of a Diesel guy (some VW TDI work) .How about the head ? Going to bid on some tomorrow and wanted to know what to look forward too ? Have not had luck with my bids yet but maybe its my turn ?

Oh, and everyone needs to "not bid " tomorrow ! LOL.

Randy

Gunzy

FMTV/LMTVs are not for me. Too problematic and parts are a little harder to get and more expensive. But that's my opinion.

snowtrac nome

The engines them selves are pretty reliable, I like the mechanical engines like 12 v cummins and 3116 cat better because of the simplicity of their injection systems. If I were going electronic it would be c-7 over 3126, the 3126 has a wiring harness in the block I have seen fail in the past. heads and gaskets all seem pretty reliable. If it all of a sudden starts making excessive crank case pressure look no farther than the turbo, I have seen several cat turbos loose the pressure seal behind the inducer and all your surplus boost pressure dumps straight into the crank case.

1951M1078

I also like the non-electrical motor. The TDI was no fun with out a PC and programmer .

As for the truck,guess I just love the COE look. The rest I can live with. Or at least learn ? LOL

But not to worry , I will just get out bid , AGAIN.

snowtrac nome

There a few nice ones in southern ca up for auction right now not too far from you. The things squeak something terrible going down the road a little lube on the cab pivot points quiets them right down, than all you have to listen to in the cab is the wine of the cat turbo while cruising at 55

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The things squeak something terrible going down the road a little lube on the cab pivot points quiets them right down, than all you have to listen to in the cab is the wine of the cat turbo while cruising at 55
Thanks for that tip. It's been getting kind of annoying listening to it.

Randy - good luck with your quest. You'll get one sooner or later. Best to hold out for the right one versus the 1st one.

snowtrac nome

look at the 2 little ears on the hoop over the back, that is where the squeak is coming from. I used 15 w 40 on mine its all I had at the time, I would think gaa would last longer

1951M1078

Nope ! They just keep going up.

Will try next week for one in Texas . We will see.

Thanks for asking. They were some nice trucks but I can weight. I'm just not sure they were that nice ?

Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks