• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In-Tank Fuel Pump Electrics

Akicita

My in-tank fuel pump is not working. A 20 (twenty) Amp fuse blew!! I need help from someone who understands electrics better than I do.

I followed the procedure described on page 2-219 in TM 9-2320-361-20 but need help interpreting the results.

I removed plug 654 from the socket on the tank top plate and read the following from the three terminals on the plate:

With the truck not running and the accessory switch OFF:
-31 VDC + 0 VDC + 0 VDC
With the truck not running and the accessory switch ON:
-55 VDC + -55 VDC + -55VDC
There were slight differences but I rounded all readings off to -55 VDC.

Then I checked the plug I had removed and read
0 VDC + 90-something + 90-something VDC
The meter kept climbing. I stopped when it had surpassed 90 VDC.

Why don’t I get a reading in the neighborhood of 24 VDC ?
What does a negative reading (minus sign in front) mean ?

I have not changed anything on the batteries since I bought this truck a year and a half ago, and it runs fine even with that pump inoperable but it takes longer and longer to get it started.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 plus volts? You got big problems.... I dont know what they are, but thats not good. 24-28 is the max Volts you should see out of the truck anywhere in it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of obvious, but are you sure you're using the right setting/scale on your meter? Is it calibrated right? Try it on something you know is working right. I don't know how you could get much more than 24-28 volts without something frying.

KsM715

What type of meter are you using? Is it on the right settings?

Like emmando22 said, if your getting 55Volts and up, you got some serious problems.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just measure your batteries with the truck NOT running, then running and compare.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I better me more specific, for the single cell members.

Measure the battery VOLTAGE (not total weight or dimensions), but you could measure specific gravity of the acid...

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a comparison test Phil, just measure however/whatever you can. The results should be "MORE" when running.

jasonjc

All you need to know is that you have voltage to the plug same as as the batt. I.E. use a test light (24volt). Plug one end into each hole in the plug.

But you said you blow a 20 amp fusse (witch is 10X what should be in there). That means you have power. Pull your pump and check to make sure it not pluged or fozen up.

Akicita

Thanks for all your comments and ideas.

The meter works fine. I had just tested another car battery before I got to the truck and the car battery read 12.7 V, which is just about perfect.

I used that same meter on the plug on the truck.

My truck came with two 12 V car batteries when I bought it about a year and a half ago. Those batteries were new at the time. I looked for corrosion and bad ends and what have you but everything looks good. So, with two 12 V batteries, the total voltage should be in the range of 24 to 28. As someone pointed out, I got twice that much.

New question: Why does this never happen when I buy a lottery ticket ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks