• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In tank fuel pump worth rebuilding

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I got two deuce in tank fuel pumps. One looks kinda rough on the outside portion that was exposed.

Was wondering if the in tank fuel pump is worth rebuilding and how much is the rough estimate of a rebuild versus what I can expect to pay for a new or functional used one???

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread on the pump manufacturer that I read in the last month or so. Company is still in business and can fix them. No idea on the cost.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, checked that one and it was left kinda open at the end. No real dollar values. Thanks though on that heads up.

JEOShea

Can you take photo's of the pumps and brackets and send it to me. I work for the company that makes the fuel pumps. We still sell them, with the photo's I might be able to figure out which parts you'll need.

Olympic Controls Corp

Normally we will charge around $225 for the pump plus the cost of hoses, cables etc.

Jim

SasquatchSanta

I went through an in-tank fuel pump dilema last summer and finally ended up buying a new pump from Omympic Controls for approx $225.00.

The in-line carter (and others) thumper pumps work but they don't have the capacity called for in the TMs. According to the TMs, for the milti to produce maximum power, the in-tank pump is suppose to deliver (if memory serves me properly) 3 to 7 PSI of pressure to the injector booster pump.

I've got fuel presure gauges before and after the primary fuel filter. With the in-tank pump off and the thumper pump running my fuel pressure drops to zero when I start the engine. In other words, is doesn't deliver a positive flow to the IP booster pump.

With the in-line thumper pump shut off and bypassed and the new Olympic Controls pump running I get 3 -5 PSI positive pressure. I've still got both pumps installed therefore I can switch back and forth. This sumer I'm going to remove the in-line thumper pump.

Before I found Olympic Controls I purchased two supposedly good used "previously inspected" in-tank pumps from reputable dealers. Both were junk! Neither lasted over a week! The first dealer returned my money, the second did not therfore I took a $200.00 bath. The closest the second pump ever got to being "checked out" was perhaps it ran when taken out of the original truck. It took my 30 minutes to pry the fuse cover off the top cover plate.

I wouldn't touch a used in-tank pump with a ten-foot pole.

I've had people tell me that the in-tank pump is only for getting fuel to the engine so it will start --- that after start-up the pump isn't needed. That's not what the TM says.

I also question how an in-line thumper would work with WMO.

Go to Olympic Controls and you won't have to worry.

jwaller

last pump I tried to open up was sealed. you can remove the drive unit from the end but the pump wasn't happy being opened up. the connector on one end was also permanently attached. it took a cut off wheel to remove it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "pump" is 2 seperate units. One is the motor, the other is the pump itself. The motor is 100% sealed, and you cant open it without breaking the seal, which is impossible to reseal. The pump can be "fixed" depending on whats wrong with it. it the motor is shot, you need a new one.