• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inaugural Beach Trip

Iggy913

Ladies and Gentleman,

Sunday my family and I took Cinco (the name we gave to my 923A2) down to Corova Beach, NC. It's a 70 mile trip from my home to the sand where vehicles are allowed to drive across the sand and set up camp for the day.

We loaded up several large coolers, a 10x20 EZ Up Tent, at least 8 full sized chairs, cornhole boards, and tons of baby toys for my 18 month old granddaughter. My son also brought his fullsize Dodge pickup just in case, not that it would have done much if we had a problem with Cinco.

We stopped about a mile from the sand and dropped the air in our tires, my CTIS doesn't work like most of us so I had to do it manually, I will be investing in some automatic tire deflators for sure next time. My son dropped his Dodge down to 25psi and I went to 35psi all the way around in Cinco.

We drove out onto the sand without issue, several miles down the beach and set up camp for the day. We were able to bring almost everything with us so it made the day very enjoyable, beautiful weather, a nice breeze, and plenty of shade with our tent made everyone happy. At one point we took the truck down the beach further including driving up and over a sand dune without issue, I was truly impressed with how well the truck drove across the soft sand, no hoping or jumping, I never even locked in the front axle. I can't imagine how you would get one of these things stuck with these big 48" tires let down to the proper air pressure. I thought the lack of horsepower and the tremendous weight of the truck would have been an issue on the sand but it didn't seem to make a bit of difference, the truck drove like it was still on asphalt.

When it was all over and we were back on pavement I was able to air up my sons' tires to 60psi in a matter of minutes and air mine back up to 50psi for the ride home, I do wish the on board air system was a little larger to air up these big tires a little quicker but it was much better than having to find an air compressor somewhere and pay for it!

Carlo

You are lucky! We would be arrested for doing this here. I drove on the Normandy beach Omaha this summer but they normally don't allow it. Did you take any pics?

plode

This fall I'm going to attempt to get a beach 4x4 permit for fishing in a local town here. Not too sure if they'll issue it to me since they make you list the make/model and specifically ask if it's 4 wheel drive. "No ma'am, it's 6 wheel drive" :lol:

Motiracer38

That looks like fun. If you left the canopy on the truck you wouldn't have needed the EZ-UP! There were a couple here on the other coast in Pismo last year crawling through some pretty soft and torn up dunes that didn't appear to have too much issue. They stuck to the flats mainly but attempted a couple dunes that were not happening due to having no momentum. If it weren't for the 4 hour drive I'd love to take min there too.

Hemicj8

I just took my 923 out on Saturday and I was amazed at how well it did. I aired down to 30 psi with 14r20 goodyears. No spin or hop at all. I pulled my valve cores to save some time. Time to replace them was just about completing the circle. Having the space in that bed made all the difference. Room for everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks